Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 09:27   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Valiant 40/42

I've added the Valiant 42 to the list of possible future boats for us. Seems like the right balance of sailing performance vs. stability and useful space for us.

I have a few questions for people who've sailed them.

- How do these boats handle in tight quarters? It appears to me that the V-drive places the prop well forward of the rudder, which does not auger well for control while docking.

- None of the examples I've seen listed have bow thrusters. Is there something in the way, or some other complication that makes an installation difficult? Or does this just speak to the fact that these craft are meant to anchor out so that handling near a dock is of minor importance?

- Are there any other latent defects specific to this model? I note that the fuel and water tanks are designed for relatively easy replacement, the chainplates are external, the keel bolted on. Does the balsa cored deck last? How about the hull-to-deck joint? (I'm aware that, as with many manufacturers, there were problems with fiberglass blisters in early hulls)

- Any other weaknesses or drawbacks on these?
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:55   #2

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Valiant 40/42

Some of the older Valiants had severe blister problems. So severe that some of the boats are worthless. The Texas built boats are fine as far as I know.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:33   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Valiant 40/42

If you like the Valiant 42 (Robert Perry design) try to look at a Tayana 42 also. It is a Robert Harris design, the largest in the Vancouver series and very well built by Ta-Yang Shipyards. No blister problems, quality components excellent quality control. Black iron diesel tanks can be an issue but not necessarily.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:54   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I got to sail a 40 for a week off the BC coast. Great boat. I would have bought one at the time I was in purchase mode (and found my Rafiki). It’s got what I call a modified fin keel/skeg-hung rudder design. As such, it is not as tightly maneuverable than a little fin-keel design, but much better than a full keel — like my beast.

To my limited knowledge, this is a near-perfect keel for a cruising boat. The Goldilocks of keels if you will.

As others have said, a run of Valiants are notorious for blister problems. Seemed to affect a certain time period. Best to check carefully on that.

Bow thrusters are for wimps . (Only wish I could afford one ).

I don’t see why some Valiants wouldn’t have been retro-fitted with a bow thruster, but as far as I know they weren’t built or designed that way. Possibly those who are drawn to boats like Valiants are also attracted by their more traditional design. A bow thruster might not fit with that concept.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:31   #5

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Valiants weren't designed to marina hop so really don't need a bow thruster unless you plan on marina hopping. It's a cruising boat, and a great one at that.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 20:47   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Many years ago I knew a gentleman who had a Valiant 40 and he used to sail it back into Santa Barbara harbor, which is pretty tight for that size boat to be sailing in! Needless to say I was impressed by both boat and sailor. The blister years are pretty well documented by both years and hull numbers. Not sure where to find that right now. Nothing at all against the Valiants, but have you also considered Peterson 44s?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 21:32   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Having sailed full keel boats with attached rudders for most of my sailing life could never understand why anyone with a separated rudder boat would have any problems in tight quarters. Having just been reintroduced to a fin keel spade rudder boats after 40 years have had a hard time adjusting to how easy they are to maneuver. Hell, they'll even go where you want them to in reverse.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:40   #8

Boat: Valiant 42

The V42 requires practice to drive in close quarters. There is modest prop walk when fitted with a feathering max prop. But that prop walk helps a lot with docking and close quarters maneuvering. You have to plan ahead and make a plan. Not hard if you practice. The big skeg hung rudder turns the boat very well.

Also, you will want to be proficient in setting and using spring lines for leaving docks against wind/current. The hull design is perfect for springing off docks in very strong wind.

Thrusters are available for the V42 but most owners don’t feel a need for one. It’s just another hole in the boat.

The 40 is the same hull as the 42 but the keel is different.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote