Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 22:49   #1

Boat: Coronado 30 - Lady Eliza
Inexpensive fantasy purchase

In another thread I sparked off some good conversation but not a lot of it really addressed what I was trying to do. This seems a much more loaded topic so I am going to give some preamble with the hope of optimizing the signal/noise ratio.

I am 95% committed to moving onto a boat and spending some time cruising (months? years? rest of my life?). Committed enough that I've given notice at my current residence and am selling off the stuff I don't need. I can't easily execute the move until end of June. I live near SF now but would ideally like to purchase in the LA or San Diego area so I probably won't buy a boat until late June either. I have places down there I can use for a base of operations during the transition.

Even though I know I won't be executing for a few months- I can't stop looking at boats, creating different outfitting scenarios, and generally fantasizing about when this all becomes "real".

My budget is still pretty elastic. Depending on how things go in the next couple of months it could be 5k... or 30k. In keeping with all of the advice I've read I am looking to do this as inexpensively as possible. I can always upgrade...

In terms of boat use, my plan is to start in Southern California and spend however long it takes to feel ready hanging around there. Then do the coast heading south with nothing to drive my schedule other than weather. I will pace the coast until I get bored, run out of money, or decide to cross an ocean. (or sink or get eaten by a shark or... lets just think positive)

What I would like to do in this thread is take a boat I pulled off of Craigslist and creating a build out/cruising prep plan and budget. I will let the thread roll, answer questions about the boat, and periodically post a new "state" until it looks like a workable plan.

This is intended as a practical exercise so, like, I will need a dinghy and it will need to be used. Don't say "get a used dinghy for 500 bucks" find a used one on a classified site and post that link. Also this is not just about the boat- but about being ready to head south so I will include things like fishing gear, water jugs, etc...

In my second post I will put pictures and describe the boat and create a template to keep things organized. If you have any suggestions for improving the exercise let me know.

And if you think this is useless or a waste of time- just don't post.

WOOT!
Jack Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 23:17   #2

Jack,

Are you just planning, or going to do this for real?
If you are in the planning stages, you might look at others web pages. I think a complete planning guide would be far to big for a BB. And besides, every cruiser is different! What I think is important, others may think useless.

You know the old addage, ask 10 sailors a question and you will get twelve answers!

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 23:36   #3

If George Lucas his-very-self calls me and offers me a job I might not go. If a family commitment rears its head I might not go.

I've put in notice on my home, met with my partners and am working out an exit strategy for leaving my business, etc...

Started selling off all my crap. (in fact, got burned for 500 bucks THIS MORNING with some jackass using a stolen credit card in paypal)

So, yeah, serious.

I recognize that a lot of this is subjective- I might not have been clear on my idea here.

I will assimilate the input then make periodic state postings. Meaning, if somebody links an RIB I can't really afford and somebody else posts a two seater kayak I might make a new post including the kayak so discussion can move on.
Old 10-03-2008, 23:37   #4

Boat is a 1972 Coronado 27 and is sailable. It has a Suzuki 9HP outboard that runs well. Mainsail and jib. Head. Sink with electric pump. New paint on bottom. Unknown anchor type/size. Looks like a pretty dodgy dodger in the photos but I suppose if it isn't up in any wind it would be okay.

Anything I missed from the pics please point out to me!

Photo: virtual coronado 1 | virtual Coronado album | Thejacksonlongproject | Fotki.com

Maintenance/Chores:

Landing Craft:

Electronics:
I have a laptop already.

Logistics:
What charts in what format?

Galley:
I've got a couple cheap pots, pans, cups, utensils (cooking and eating), and teapot.
I've got a medium ice chest.

Safety(first aid/medication/???):

Legal:
Insurance
Boat papers?
Passport

Spare parts/Repair:
I've got a solid collection of standard hand tools plus a drill, sawsall, and dremmel.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:22   #5

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
First, start with the integrity of the boat ( I assume budget and cruising range/plans have already dictated this boat will suit your needs). Survey should confirm all standing rigging, chainplates, through hull fittings etc are not needing replacement for 2-3 years at least, otherwise bargain the price and get it done for peace of mind. hull needs to be osmosis free before you even look at spar integrity, mast deckstep or keelstep, keelbolt integrity etc - in other words, a good survey is a must before you commit and even think about ancilliary items like charts etc. A good survey will identify the primary bits of gear that you need to add - this is phase two after purchase, and while you learn the boat and the game as it were. As your readiness builds the main expenses will then be behind you and less costly additions wil bring pleasure and an eagerness to get under way. sorry for the short synopsis, but that's how I would approach it . . best of luck!!
Old 11-03-2008, 04:55   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
So Jack is this your boat or is this part of the fantasy? We are supposed to pretend you are going away in this boat and help you play out the rest of the dream? Just trying to understand how we all are suppose to play this game of yours. It's perfectly accetable but it would help if we all knew what the reality part of this was.

Quote:
Boat is a 1972 Coronado 27 and is sailable. It has a Suzuki 9HP outboard that runs well.
Is it a salt water engine?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:34   #7

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I am confused as well, although that's nothing new.. Could be interesting, just need more consise instructions, a least for me. Propane stove?
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:07   #8

I do tend to ramble!

This is not my boat. I will not buy a boat until June.

I thought it would be useful to do a practical outfitting exercise.

So, as an example- pre-purchase inspection was suggested, this makes sense, so when I post an update to the plan's state I will include 450 for a survey.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:08   #9

Lets assume saltwater engine. The boat lives in saltwater now... Is it common that people will throw freshwater outboards on saltwater boats?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:10   #10

so you want a bunch of other folks to do all your homework?!

Half the fun is doing the prep work,

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:14   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The boat lives in saltwater now...
I could not tell from the picture. Persoanlly, I would choose one of the Corando 27's with an inboard deisel engine. Outboard motors are a huge risk. One good following wave and it rips itself from the stern and maybe making a few holes in the transom upon departure. It might as well be a better fantasy than this. Not every boat should be assumed to be able to be fitted out when the alternative boat would be cheaper and better suited. An actual Coronado from 1971 may have many real issues to deal with while a fantasy boat is proabaly perfectly fine and requires no effort at all.

A practicale outfitting exercise is perhaps more useful with a real boat. The devil is in the particulars not the general. Any book on the subject covers that well enough.

I guess I find my time worth more when people here have real boats than to entertain those playing a game. It's all fine to do this exercise just not anything I see much value in. You can read a lot more actual real boat examples that reveal actual situations and real issues that will never come up in a fantasy boat. The study of those exercises will deliver more insight to real boat issues.

It might be better to just sail off in the fantasy boat now and pretend it went well.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:14   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Jack, Jack, Jack,

There is SO MUCH to learn, and as Delezinsky said you will get 12 answers from 10 sailors. That is why your previous thread went a little haywire.

I myself if I had 30k in my budget would not be looking at a 27ft Coronado. Do yourself a favor, and look at something a bit larger. You could possibly find a 34foot Columbia which is the sibling of a Coronado, or even a Coronado center cockpit. Your choices are much wider than a 27 footer. Go to Yachtworld.com, or a similiar site, and you will get photos, and comparisons for the amount of money you can spend.

I recently sold a 30foot. Columbia with new sails, canvas, roller furling, cushions, and a ton of used gear still in fine working condition such as windlass, bimini, stove, radar, gps, and a ton of ground tackle. All this for $10k...........

I think you need to spend some time doing some research for your own knowledge. There will be no definitive answer to your question. It will be a compromise in all your selections. I am not trying to be a grinch, and I do wish you the best in finding what you seek. Welcome to the addiction of sailing............
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:22   #13
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Jack, I think all of the above postings are on the mark. Once you decide your precise budget and immediate needs, then I think you will find many here who can help with the suitability of/costs associated with modification, upgrades and equipment required for particular vessels. The exercize you propose is not only entirely theoretical, but lacking in sufficient detail to make realistic appraisals and recommendations.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:18   #14

Boat: B24
<I can't stop looking at boats, creating different outfitting scenarios, and generally fantasizing…>

Nor should you… tire kicking is an education in itself… Jack; it sounds like you’re already reasonably knowledgeable or well-read and simply wanting a conversation to round out your possible courses of action… This link, may be a reasonable read – I don’t fully agree with everything in it (what sailor ever would, heck I argue with myself…), but it is rather succinct and cuts to the chase as well as giving a few nuts and bolts to hang on to…

See: http://members.optusnet.com.au/coastalcruising/introcruising.htm

$30K is a fine operating budget as long as one stays reasonably committed to the basics, I’d think… I’m not unaware of the wonders of modern technology (yes, I have the ubiquitous GPS, albeit a very basic one – what does one really need besides a paper chart and lat/long…), but I find that too much expectation and trust in them has parallelized me more than liberating me when operating on a simple budget… not to mention, the modern techno-gizmos eat up cash quicker than a set of good sails and a haul out… simple is good; not for austerity’s sake, but because the basics need to work well/reliably first… sound hull, sound set of sails, sound rigging and ground tackle as well as reliable tankage/storage for water and other life sustaining necessities… like food.

Elsewhere there is a current thread on establishing priorities for equipment that a skipper needs to look for in a vessel purchase… A Coronado wouldn’t be my first choice, but then I’ve never been in a position to consider one I guess, and have no good reason to be disinclined toward them… I do like that size vessel and general philosophy, although I’m not too sanguine about an OB for long-term use as an auxiliary… My little B24 has a nice outboard, generally starts on the first or second pull and runs fine -- and with long-shaft never comes remotely clear of the water, but saltwater and an outboard is not a wonderful combination I my experience – eventually the salt-water wins unless an inordinate amount of effort is spent preserving the thing… my solution is to buy a good, but cheap, used one and plan on throwing it away every few years – not always the best option for a longer-range sailor…

In any case, good luck… Like others I agree on a professional survey; however, the survey that should truly make or break, is the one you do… Unless you plan to be ever at the mercy of the boat yard professionals during your travels, you should quickly learn (if you aren’t there already) to handle the basics of assessing the most obvious crucial and fundamental areas of the hull and its rig… I’d not attempt to survey an electronic gizmo, nor am I terribly comfortable with engines (although I am more comfortable there), but being able to reasonably reliably assess the soundness of sails, rigging and the hull yourself will stand you in good stead…
Old 11-03-2008, 22:43   #15

Dcstring- thank you for that link, I am doing a ton of reading but had not found that one.

Pblais- I can tell you can add a lot of value to this discussion and I would love it if you did. But if you aren't going to I would prefer you just ignore my posts. There are plenty of people who would find this exercise interesting.

Rtbates- I don't want anyone to do my work for me. I am spending hours a day right now reading and learning. I thought this would be fun and useful. If you don't think so- skip the thread. (but I suspect you have good stuff to say so, say it!)

I picked this boat for this exercise VERY intentionally. I have no doubt that this can be done on 30k. I don't want to spend 30k. I want to create a model to see how inexpensive this can be done. I am sure a 34' Columbia is nicer- but I've never seen one in sailing condition for less than 5k.

Historically I've got a really bad habit of wanting to spend all my money. Reading James Bladwin ( http://atomvoyagers.com ) convinced me beyond any shadow of a doubt that I want to go as inexpensive as possible first time through.