Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2007, 18:38   #1

Question Inexpensive / clean lamp oil

Trying to come up with a cheap way to keep the lamps stocked up. I like them more than the electrical units, but it seems pretty damn expensive. Anyone have the magic cure for this? Apparently I'm supposed to used liquid parrafin, which is clean burning and safer (safer than gasoline or propane I guess). I like them in the winter as well, because a lamp or two will take the place of a heater in slightly chilly temperatures.

I can get 5 gallons for $110 including shipping from here ( Clear 2.5 Gal ), coming out to $5.50 / quart, which is cheaper than the $8 / quart that I find elsewhere.

Any other ideas?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 04:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Methyl Hydrate (CH3OH, methyl alcohol, methanol, or wood alcohol) is colourless and smokeless when burned, and can be used as a fuel for marine un-pressuirzed alcohol stoves.
Methyl Hydrate is available in your local hardware store, sold as gas line antifreeze, fuel for camp stoves, and as a solvent for shellac.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 05:14   #3

We always used mineral spirits, cheap and clean. Available at wal-mart or any hardware store. You can usually find cheap lamp oils for a few bucks a gallon as well. Mineral spirits has a few other uses aboard a boat to make carrying it around worthwhile.
Fishspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 07:04   #4

Perfect! I knew (or heard) you could use kerosene, but I also heard that it was a bit on the dirty side. I'll poke aorund for the wood alcohol the next time I'm in a hardware store, and I the cost of mineral spirits certainly is more in line with my price range. Product Information Error Page

$10.50 / gallon, or $2.62 / quart, is 32% the cost of the retail parrafin liquid that WM sells. Thanks guys!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil lamp