Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2007, 09:07   #1

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
Your fantasy boat?

Lots of well researched sailors out there, many happy with the boat they can afford or find themselves with at the moment. That's me, but dreaming is free! What boat would you choose and why? Lets break it up a little, say <100k, <200k, <500k and "If money were no object . ." List your reasonings and relevant research and links, if any - this could be informative on many levels - I'll kick off with a "If money were no object" . . . a recent build Passport 456 . . over to you guys . . . .

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale=
Old 21-09-2007, 09:48   #2

Boat: C&C 27
If I was world cruising and had $100K to spend I would buy a Westsail 32, $200k a Westsail 32 and sail longer, and $500k to spend a Westsail 32 and never come back. If money were no object I would fly to the places I wanted to sail and charter.

If on the other hand I was running up and down the coast spending only a couple of weeks or a month at a time I would want a Farrier Tri (or something like it). Limited time demands more speed.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 11:01   #3

A brand spanking new 50 to 60 foot Swan, Oyster, Amel, Hylas, something semi-custom or better yet a custom one off design. This is a fantasy after all and any of the above would keep my better half smiling.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 11:21   #4

Shorthand and single hand cruising are the key factors. While large boats have fabulous accommodation plans they all require more muscle and or all electrics to do everything... including mooring, docking, trimming and so forth.

Since getting something bigger would mean winning the lotto and it is unlikely, I know longer look at boats with envy that I can't own.

But, I wouldn't get a boat larger than the mid 40s in length for the reasons above.

I also am partial to aft cockpits and lower maintenance exteriors, so no teak decks, but I do like brightwork and some teak. Below I would like an all sapelle or teak interior, no fabric headliners, and an en suite owner's cabin which means a second head. I prefer pretty traditional layouts, but like some of the visibility in the newer coach roof designs I see around.

I saw a gorgeous Passport in Newport recently, but not below decks. I don't need lots of cabins for guests and would prefer and office or a workshop.

A shallow enough draft, but no center board for crusing and of course a fast hull.

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 11:30   #5

Fantasy boat? Money no object?

I'll have an 80' or so custom built Hinkley with my input into the entire build process. Im sure we could come up with an acceptable sailing solution.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 11:30   #6

It's a fantasy and unlike reality I will score serious points with my bride. So I'll stick with big and beautiful and just include a crew in my fantasy to do the hard work.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 11:30   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Fantasy boat?

Apart from self cleaning / self maintaining.........I don't really fantasise about much else for cruising off into the WBY (apart from this being a good way off into the future, probably more due to ignorance and lack of imagination than having found the perfect boat!).

However I would also like a small open boat, around 20-23 foot, that sails well to pass the afternoon..........and ALSO does 25 knots under power

Something like an Orkney Longliner (19 foot) that sails would be great.......more than seaworthy enuf to Island hop in rough weather under power, just needs sails for passing the afternoon when I was not going anywhere / I did not feel like whizzing around in circles / burning up fuel.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 12:06   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
The best fantasy would be, a boat that requires no maintenance and has no on going cost. But that is such pure fantasy, I don't even think the word fantasy justifies it.
The more achievable fantasy would be, say an 80-100fter and can still be single handed. Oh and calms the storms before it. Oh wait, that would be God. I'll just stick with the single hander 80 then.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 14:00   #9

Boat: In the market
2 words

Perini Navi

or

Gunboat 62

Westsail 32? are you mental?
Old 21-09-2007, 15:07   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41
If Money were no object. I don't think I would go over 47'. I would install a bow thruster. I would keep it simple enough that I could maintain it but hire out some of the things that I don't like to do. It would be fractional rigged with boom furling main. Low Aspect Fin Keel and skeg rudder. Farr or Frers design. Medium Displacement. Hard Dodger. Actually the boat that Nigel Caulder had drawn up in his book looks pretty appealing. There would have to be room to work on whatever needs to be worked on especially the engine room. Oh yeah then I would install the magic switch that would beam to a place where I was upwind of my destination with 85 degree air and water temp 12 to 15 apparent off the starboard quarter . . .

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 15:10   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Contessa 35 or a Hinckley about the same size. No more than 36' thanks.

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 16:01   #12

::grin::

A custom 35' cutter probably much akin to a Crealock 37. Or maybe a yawl, if I'm feeling romantic enough. Or gaff if I'm feeling too romantic. And the only damn bright work on deck would be the companionway dropboards. Maybe.

Either that or a brilliantly finished Wenda, with a small fortune set aside for keeping her pretty.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 16:28   #13

Boat: C&C 27
the boats you love

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblanford View Post
Westsail 32? are you mental?
No, just makng the point that, personally, money is not the object. The boats you love are the boats you love. I wouldn't divorce my wife for a movie starlette either. If not specifically the "Wetsnail" maybe something like Skipr and Amgine are talking about.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 16:40   #14

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
something in the 45' range with no upkeep, no breakdowns, no maintnance and about 4 Hooters girls to crew while I sit in the cockpit giving advice.

Luckely my wife does not visit this forum.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 18:38   #15

Choices...

I'm reminded of the comment about heaven for a sailor being good boat and star to steer her by, and every so often a storm to contend with.

My fantasy boat is big enough and designed to go wherever I could fantasize about going, but small enough that I could clean up and paint the bottom in a weekend and not feel like a slave. I guess even in my dreams I want only enough and no more.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote