Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2022, 08:24   #16

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: HR 41 hull needs repair?

Yes it will be dry and unless they are blisters cracks or such they are likely no issues. Could be in rudder anchor locker drive shaft.
Sounds like you’d get it on the water for a song.
It’s a pretty looking machine. Hope it works out for you. Call insurance before the surveyor.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 09:40   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursday View Post
Anyone have an suggestions on things to look at? For me the main issue is that the boat is a plane trip away so to go all the way to viewing it is relatively large commitment. I also don't know anything about buying a boat in another country, but all that can be learned.
Start here ...

Marine Survey 101, How to inspect a boat before hiring a surveyor
Old 29-10-2022, 09:58   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

The other potential big expense is the engine. If it hasn't been used for several years and the engine hasn't been run and had the mixing elbow disconnected, there could be rust in the cylinders and exhaust valves Hire an engine surveyor in addition to your regular survey. It will be money well spent. Almost all engine repairs are expensive.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 11:23   #19

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

There are a lot of boats available in this condition in Italy. Most seem to spend years on the hard. The sun is hard in Italy and eats everything not shaded, no freezing conditions, very dry climate.
Before going all in on this one look for other Italian marinas at similar boats.
You can probably negociate the purchase price a lot, looking at the amount of boats on the hard for years in Italian marinas.

EDIT: One more point, do not compare an Italian broker to an American broker, Italy is a méditerrenean country not far from the muslim countries in north africa, not the same culture.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:55   #20

Boat: Hallberg Rassy, 31' sloop, ATHESA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
:

EDIT: One more point, do not compare an Italian broker to an American broker, Italy is a méditerrenean country not far from the muslim countries in north africa, not the same culture.
Sailorned: This is a professional website. There is no place for expression of prejudices. Don't forget the fact that it was Muslim culture that developed astrology the Google Map of the skies.
Sindbaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:02   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Ethics by race ... a new low.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:18   #22

Boat: Hallberg Rassy, 31' sloop, ATHESA

Quote:
I'm looking at the photos of a fairly cheap (I think?) 1980 HR41 in Italy and hoping someone might be able to educate me on the hull. Does this just look like it's not been worked on in awhile? It looks like maybe work started on it but never finished? Other pictures suggest it's been sitting around for awhile. The deck looks pretty dirty to me. The inside looks great though (as far as I can tell).

Obviously it needs a surveyor to really know, I'm just trying to determine if it's worth pursuing.

Another suspicious thing is that this is listed twice on YachtWorld with different brokers.

Thank you
thursday: I Have owned and sailed an HR31 Monsun Hull No. M778 launched in 1979. Sailed her singlehanded over the Atlantic and later the west coast of the US-Canada, up to Valdez in Alaska. I have changed her engine from MD 11C to a modern smaller and more powerful engine. The teak decks are thick enough to be sanded scraped and by adding a few more teak planks is perfectly fine. I have had no leaks and the hull looks as good as a boat much younger. She carries the same original rigg. I have nothing but praise for the little boat.
The 1980 HR41 that you mention has a full keel which is quite rare nowadays. The full keel gives you a comfortable ride in the high sees and you never have to worry about the keel dropping off like many other boats with dagger type keels.
The pictures shows a neglected boat that with some TLC and elbow grease would give you many years of happy and safe sailing.
Have it inspected by all means and if the present owner is serious in selling the boat, haggle by all means.
Sindbaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 13:15   #23

Boat: Amel Sharki

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in updates, however here are some for those who are:

This boat is listed by two brokers on yachtworld. I have mostly been communicating with one broker, and on every email they reveal a bit more work that might need to be done on the boat, while trying to get me to increase my bid. After giving a firm offer, they said they'd get back to me this week but I have received no updates. I decided to reach out to the other broker. They have been very quick to respond, and apparently they can still sell the boat? I don't know if that is normal or not. Anyways, they have given me a different list of work the boat needs, for example apparently there is a crack in the rudder. They also claim there is another offer for the boat which is suspiciously "very similar" to the offer I gave this second broker. Is it my own offer? Are they trying to get me to bid against myself? What's the relationship between this broker and the other? I have no idea.

They say a good negotiation has both parties leaving like they gave up something. My offer is arguably low but if I were to win the boat, the list of items that keeps on growing that needs to be fixed definitely makes me feel like my offer is reasonable. But we'll see.

One thing that bothers me is if they were just upfront about the list of items that need to be fixed I'd probably be OK with increasing my offer to what they are asking because there would be a sense of trust. But the way things are going I am just left concerned there is something being hidden from me. None of the work that gets revealed is big stuff. Leaky window, some sea cocks, redo the kiwideck, but it's the way it's being revealed and it's adding up to a bunch of work.

This is the first boat I'm buying, any advice, insights, thoughts, would be appreciated.

Thank you!
thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 13:38   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I'm not sure if anyone is interested in updates, however here are some for those who are:

This boat is listed by two brokers on yachtworld. I have mostly been communicating with one broker, and on every email they reveal a bit more work that might need to be done on the boat, while trying to get me to increase my bid. After giving a firm offer, they said they'd get back to me this week but I have received no updates. I decided to reach out to the other broker. They have been very quick to respond, and apparently they can still sell the boat? I don't know if that is normal or not. Anyways, they have given me a different list of work the boat needs, for example apparently there is a crack in the rudder. They also claim there is another offer for the boat which is suspiciously "very similar" to the offer I gave this second broker. Is it my own offer? Are they trying to get me to bid against myself? What's the relationship between this broker and the other? I have no idea.

They say a good negotiation has both parties leaving like they gave up something. My offer is arguably low but if I were to win the boat, the list of items that keeps on growing that needs to be fixed definitely makes me feel like my offer is reasonable. But we'll see.

One thing that bothers me is if they were just upfront about the list of items that need to be fixed I'd probably be OK with increasing my offer to what they are asking because there would be a sense of trust. But the way things are going I am just left concerned there is something being hidden from me. None of the work that gets revealed is big stuff. Leaky window, some sea cocks, redo the kiwideck, but it's the way it's being revealed and it's adding up to a bunch of work.

This is the first boat I'm buying, any advice, insights, thoughts, would be appreciated.

Thank you!
What on earth made you deal with two brokers. Perhaps they know and don't trust you or take you seriously.
Old 18-11-2022, 13:57   #25

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
What on earth made you deal with two brokers. Perhaps they know and don't trust you or take you seriously.
Was that the wrong thing to do? I have not heard from the first broker in sometime so I decided to reach out to the other. I made the situation entirely clear to the second broker. Perhaps I committed a faux pas, however, it was unintentional.
thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 14:11   #26

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

You have no obligation to anyone except yourself. Forget about notions of Faux pas. Europe is a free and open society - You have every right to talk to anyone you want in the boating business. You did the right thing - you explained your situation to the second broker and he responded more favoritely that the first guy. That’s exactly how the system is supposed to work. You are on the right track. just don’t make the mistake of feeling you are somehow obligated to any of those brokers.

I really don’t know anything about how those two particular brokers are connected or do business.

However, Unless they work for the same company, I would bet they do not communicate with each other and likely don’t recognize you submitted a previous bid through the other broker. Alternatively, they may just be using the “other offer” approach as a standard sales tactic. Whatever the case- IT DOESNT MATTER! They are there to facilitate a sale and earn a commission. You have NO OBligation to do what they say.

In that vein, I never ever consider whether a broker is honest, dishonest, or just clueless. I talk to them and gather what knowledge they offer, then do my own due diligence and decide if I want to get involved, or not - regardless of what the broker has to say. They provide information which you can confirm or disregard- as you choose. You have no obligation at all to do what they say- until you sign a sales agreement .- then you are stuck to the terms of the agreement. So, Set your own expectations and goals and make your own offer on your owns terms, based on what you want to do. Then say: “thank you very much” and walk away and look elsewhere if the owner doesn’t accept what you offer.

Don’t look back, there are dozens to hundreds of other boats out there, waiting for you to discover. Every one of has strengths and weaknesses. You get pick which one you like the most.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, repair