Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2011, 08:32   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
First sign of rust on chainplates... cause for alarm?

So I am in the middle of a busy month of work on the boat and I spotted something I don't like. For the first time, there is a little tiny bit of rust showing around the chainplate bolts in my cabin.

Everything looks solid and the corrosion is very very minor, just under the washers where it sits on the bulkhead fiberglass. It looks a little more dark brown than it does reddish brown, making me think it may be more dirt than corrosion. The port side bolts are nearly pristine, with one long water streak showing, but the starboard ones show a little more brown with no streaking.

So, what is required now? Can I just lift the top covers off the deck and recaulk from above? (This is preferable considering the large amount of repairs I'm dealing with at the moment.) Or do I need to consider actually removing all the bolts to rebed the chainplates? If so, what does rebedding actually involve?

Thanks a lot for the advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	25617   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(2).jpg
Views:	292
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	25618  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(3).jpg
Views:	251
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	25619   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(4).jpg
Views:	215
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	25620  

OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 16:34   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 31 Monsun, 30'9"
Re: First sign of rust on chainplates... cause for alarm?

I would certainly get rid of that paint and don't paint it later. The chainplate does not need to be very rusty to break. Another factor is material fatigue.
Your chainplates seem to be easily accessible so it should be a fairly easy job (we need to take apart half of cabinetry to get them out on our boat). If you think (perhaps you even know for sure) how old are they and if you expect to be sailing in stronger winds/chop, I wouldn't hesitate. It will cost you a trifle compared to a broken mast.
In fact one of our chainplates broke last year in 3 meter chop and ~25kn winds, which is far from being heavy weather. Fortunately our chainplates are welded from two parts and only the bottom part broke so the chainplate didn't actually come out, we changed tacks, tied it down with spare halyards and we still have our old mast. We knew the chainplate was rather old, but it "looked ok". There was only a tiny streak of rust and the material looked slightly greyish. Will not make the same mistake again!
Good luck
Old 29-03-2011, 16:39   #3

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

I would be more concerned that the bulkhead could be saturated. I would certainly remove the chaiplates for inspection and check the bulkhead for moisture while you've got it opened up.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 16:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

for peace of mind,if it is worrying you replace the chain plate easy job,especially if the boat is over 25 years old.
do one sid at atime, use 316 ss
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 16:58   #5

Boat: C&C 27 mkI

If the mast wasn't up I would pull the chainplates to inspect and rebed them. If the rig was up and you can't/don't want to take the rig down I would pull the covers going around the chainplates on the deck and rebed them. Then once the goo was dry I would get the hose out and see how waterprooof they are.
hard aground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 17:17   #6

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Would be more concerned with water/rot in the bulkhead (if it's wood core) than a bit of tarnish on the s.s. Those plates don't appear to extend very far down from the underside of the deck.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 17:58   #7

How about taking the spare halyard as suggested to the toe rail to support the mast. Then you’re free to remove, rebed or inspect that side. Just a thought

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 18:21   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotnow View Post
How about taking the spare halyard as suggested to the toe rail to support the mast. Then you’re free to remove, rebed or inspect that side. Just a thought
You beat me to it.

BTW,
Hummingway might see your signature and whack it.
He hates anything even remotely political.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 18:50   #9

If that's the biggest leak you have on an old Pearson 26, you have great karma.

Rebedding chain plates is routine maintence. That's why the cover is easy to unscrew. No need to touch the rigging. The trick is to remove as much of the old caulk as possible. Use awls, small knives, and bits of sand paper. Then wash down with a good solvent. Acetone is my favorite but wear gloves and glasses. My preffered caulk for this application is still Life Caulk.

The rust is probably half rust and half dirt. Boats of this era used much more 304 stainless than 316. Try Spotless Stainless.

Finally, I agree with the others that every piece of the rig on a boat this old from bulkheads to chainplates to turnbuckle screws is suspect and should be checked - or replaced regardless. But I don't think those stains are anything special.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 16:14   #10

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

Thanks for all the input!

Sorry for the obvious question, but rebedding the chainplate just means removing it completely and recaulking everything, right? Under what criteria do I want to replace them, just if there are signs of fatigue or corrosion? Where do I get chainplates for an old boat like this? (D&R Marine, the company that makes a lot of Pearson parts, doesn't seem to have them)

Thanks!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 17:35   #11

Ya kinda, After removing and a really close inspection on the plates and the mating surface clean, fare and rebed. Minor pitting is OK but anything more than that, hey, they hold that big stick upright. If out of production the parts are better made at a good machine shop.

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 17:44   #12

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Thanks for all the input!

Sorry for the obvious question, but rebedding the chainplate just means removing it completely and recaulking everything, right? Under what criteria do I want to replace them, just if there are signs of fatigue or corrosion? Where do I get chainplates for an old boat like this? (D&R Marine, the company that makes a lot of Pearson parts, doesn't seem to have them)

Thanks!
for your chainplates, you can buy a cheap drill press (Northern Tool $100) stainless flatbar, usually less than $100, and some bits, also from a cheap supplier, and make the plates yourself.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm