Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2011, 15:44   #1

Good Deal ?

I am looking at buying my first boat to liveaboard. I am a single guy in the Virgin Islands. I do not want to buy a fixer upper as learning to sail and rules of the road is enough for now. I was really wanting a multihull but have decided that a mono is better for me right now in my price range. So please, a little help if this boat I came across is a good deal. 1998 Hunter 310, everything working that I am going to list and the boat is super clean and excellent condition. Adler barber fidge, pur 40 watermaker, aotohelm, depth, wind speed, speed log, 3 90 ah gel cell baterries, 25 and 30 amp battery chargers, dockside cords, balmar 75 amp alternator, 1000 watt inverter, air marine wind generator, electric windlass, dockside cords, force 10 bbq, engine powered hot water, racor filter, baha fuel filter, yanmar 2000 hours, and all of the normal anchors, fenders, rode, etc. The only thing I can see it needs are some solar panels. The asking price is $35,000. Thoughts?
kevhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 15:51   #2

Re: Good Deal????

Oh yeah, also comes with soft bottom dinghy and 4hp yamaha
Old 14-03-2011, 15:53   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Dunno about the VI market, but seems a little pricey for the Florida market
Old 14-03-2011, 16:02   #4

I realize asking prices are hard to judge by, but everything comparable I can find asking prices are $39,000 - $50,000. I know the seller is somewhat negotiable at least at this point, if it;s not a good deal, what price would raise your eyebrows?
Old 14-03-2011, 16:17   #5

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale

The price to us should not matter as we will not be living/sailing on her.

If it's the boat you want, has everything you want, and you are willing to pay it...

You are the ONLY one who has to be happy with what you paid for her. I would recommend you get a professional survey first- that should help you decide.
Old 14-03-2011, 16:24   #6

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Just give them a low price and sit. The right boat WILL come along. I got my boat for CHEEEEEEP.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 16:53   #7
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Kev, to me the price looks in line. The boats in that price range seem to be selling in the BVI's. Maybe you saw the 2003 Bavaria 32 for $39K? It's newer, but higher engine hours. Similar equipment...http://www.bviyachtsales.com/core/li...bviyachtsales&

PS - If the one you are looking at is on Yachtworld, it says sold.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 17:04   #8

Yeah, I saw the Bavaria. But at least just from the pictures, I like the layout and finish of the Hunter better. The Bavaria also needed some work and was chartered for a while. I'm not as much worried about the what is it worth to me aspect as the what the heck do they actually sell for as all I have access to is asking prices. I would like to feel somewhat comfortable on a decent resale value. Guess that all depends as market changes, location, yada yada yada. The fact is I like the boat, but just want to not end up feeling I paid too much. Just wanted some outside opinions. I read a lot that offering between 25-40% of asking price is normal in this current market. Thanks for the opinions.
Old 14-03-2011, 17:07   #9

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Seems to be in line price wise. If it;s the boat you want and like it go for it. I would put in a low ball offer because hey you never know.
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 17:21   #10

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannen View Post
The price to us should not matter as we will not be living/sailing on her.

If it's the boat you want, has everything you want, and you are willing to pay it...

You are the ONLY one who has to be happy with what you paid for her. I would recommend you get a professional survey first- that should help you decide.
I don't believe this is helping him at all. Of course the price doesn't matter to us... but that's not the point.

It's his first boat purchase so he doesn't feel he has the experience to just jump in... he's come here to draw on the experience of those with more knowledge.

The last thing he wants is to pay a price he might in his inexperience, be happy with (ie meets your strange criteria), and then he finds he paid way too much if he needs to sell it again sometime.

I don't know Hunters so I can't give an opinion, but I do know poor advice when I see it, so I have.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 17:29   #11
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Good Deal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhov View Post
I am looking at buying my first boat to liveaboard. I am a single guy in the Virgin Islands. I do not want to buy a fixer upper as learning to sail and rules of the road is enough for now. I was really wanting a multihull but have decided that a mono is better for me right now in my price range. So please, a little help if this boat I came across is a good deal. 1998 Hunter 310, everything working that I am going to list and the boat is super clean and excellent condition. Adler barber fidge, pur 40 watermaker, aotohelm, depth, wind speed, speed log, 3 90 ah gel cell baterries, 25 and 30 amp battery chargers, dockside cords, balmar 75 amp alternator, 1000 watt inverter, air marine wind generator, electric windlass, dockside cords, force 10 bbq, engine powered hot water, racor filter, baha fuel filter, yanmar 2000 hours, and all of the normal anchors, fenders, rode, etc. The only thing I can see it needs are some solar panels. The asking price is $35,000. Thoughts?
I think it is good sounding deal. You can do a search onyatchworld.comfor the model to see how the listing/asking price compares. Get a broker to work with you and he can run the boat though soldboats.com and tell you how the price compares to others that have sold recently. As a buyer there isn't any downside to using a broker to helpyou (check around for a good one)
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 17:35   #12
RTB

Maybe this will help a little? Here is what the NADA guide lists the value at (I did not add any options), and the price of $35,000 is below the base retail book value. 1998 Hunter Marine HUNTER 310/SL - 31' Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides

That may not help, but just in case...
Old 14-03-2011, 17:36   #13

Well it's not listed through a broker, so if I bring one in, I think I am losing a little negotiating power. Am I correct on that? I did the yachtworld search and sailboatlistings comparison. That is where I found asking prices to be 5- 15,000 more. Forgot, no biggie, but also comes witha brand new honda 2000 gen.
Old 14-03-2011, 18:06   #14
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhov View Post
Well it's not listed through a broker, so if I bring one in, I think I am losing a little negotiating power. Am I correct on that?

Not sure what you mean? If a broker is involved, he will get a commission. Dealing with the seller direct should be better. And YOU are the one with the $$$$$$$, so don't see how you would lose negotiating power.

I did the yachtworld search and sailboatlistings comparison. That is where I found asking prices to be 5- 15,000 more. Forgot, no biggie, but also comes witha brand new honda 2000 gen.
Cool, a dink with outboard AND the Honda generator included (may not need solar). If you are there, it would be worth taking a look at imho. Good Luck!

Ralph
Old 14-03-2011, 18:25   #15

I've been aboard already, that's how I can vouch for the general condition of everything. I did the NADA search and it says 36,600 - 42,000. Bucvalu says ~40,000 - 45,000. This all helps a lot. I'm glad I joined this site. Drawing on the insight of the more experienced is the way to go. I believe I will make an offer. Thanks all