Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2011, 01:29   #1

Boat: Colvic Victor 34
First Big Trip

Morning guys and gals,

So Saturday is my first biggy in the new to me (first) boat, my 18 year old boy is getting train down from Scotland tomorrow, we are then going to Swansea in train on Saturday morning. Skipper is coming to Swansea from Dover.

Four or five days in harmony with nature and during our Indian summer, weather is supposed to be excellent. Again I am so excited.

I will hopefully post many pics and keep a diary, I was considering a blog on the trip.

Hope you have a great weekend.

ColvicJock
ColvicJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 07:12   #2

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
Re: First big trip

Welcome and congrats on the "new to you" purchase. Hope you have a wonderful week on her. Pictures and an update when you get back would be great.

Deborah
Old 29-09-2011, 07:13   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColvicJock View Post
Morning guys and gals,

So Saturday is my first biggy in the new to me (first) boat, my 18 year old boy is getting train down from Scotland tomorrow, we are then going to Swansea in train on Saturday morning. Skipper is coming to Swansea from Dover.

Four or five days in harmony with nature and during our Indian summer, weather is supposed to be excellent. Again I am so excited.

I will hopefully post many pics and keep a diary, I was considering a blog on the trip.

Hope you have a great weekend.

ColvicJock

You have a wonderful trip!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 07:15   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

G'Day Jock and good luck.

Great to see the first post on the site - and hope you get value from it.

Sail safe.

JOHN
Old 29-09-2011, 08:31   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

Where are you headed? Porthcawl? Cardiff? Cork?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 08:42   #6

Hey my friend have a wonderful trip
i will be there soon hope to find my dream boat in annapolis

and live my first big trip soon after
fabrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 09:26   #7

Thumbs up Re: First big trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Where are you headed? Porthcawl? Cardiff? Cork?
I am starting from Swansea Saturday afternoon, then right round to Falmouth in Cornwall, along the south coast past Isle of White and Brighton, round Kent coast up to Thames estuary in to Tollesbury Marina.

Sounds easy eh???

Bring it on.
Old 29-09-2011, 10:03   #8

Hi, Think we have chatted on Twitter!! Souunds like a brilliant trip, you have amazing weather. I'm just in the process of purchasing a Victor 34 too, just having the survey done today!!, only problem is she is in scotland so a huge trip down the Irish sea to Lymington at the end of October if all goes well, but I'm soo excited (may regret saying that). anyway have a great sail back, Aurabest Grant
gibo993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 23:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibo993
Hi, Think we have chatted on Twitter!! Souunds like a brilliant trip, you have amazing weather. I'm just in the process of purchasing a Victor 34 too, just having the survey done today!!, only problem is she is in scotland so a huge trip down the Irish sea to Lymington at the end of October if all goes well, but I'm soo excited (may regret saying that). anyway have a great sail back, Aurabest Grant
Hi mate,

Your right we were looking at the same boat in Swansea, it was under offer and luckily for me it fell through. I am coming back to Tollesbury, really excited and Looking forward to having her here. Good luck to you with your purchase, hope you get her. Let me know what happens.

Ian
Old 30-09-2011, 10:18   #10

Getting packed, bought some essentials, hand held compass and a couple more charts for the journey. Really excited now. My boy is here as well!!! It's all looking good.
Old 30-09-2011, 10:30   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: First Big Trip

welcome!!

sounds like you will have fun!!! smooth sailing--please post pix!!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:50   #12

Well what an eventful journey, started last Saturday evening from Swansea, we had nav light issues in the Marina so we sorted those before leaving. Filled up, filled water tanks, then off through the Marina gates into the Bristol channel. Night sailing with the assistance and pur from a small 30hp BMW engine. Fantastic.

We had strong tides and made little headway at the beginning before lifting all three sails (ketch) and progressing nicely into the fog. Four of us on board skipper a mate, my son (fergus) and myself. Sailed all night into a stunning morning of glorious sunshine. Approaching the north Cornwall coast we were greeted with dolphins dancing round the boat. Absolutely stunning it was.

Lands end to come then, choppy sea's and tricky navigation it was both terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. We rounded the point with no issues and kept a course for Falmouth.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:44   #13

Arrived in Falmouth channel at 0300hrs ish, it was really foggy, 30 meters visibility at most. Excellent experience with good people on board, we took it easy and carefully made our way into a visitors mooring. We tied up and went to sleep in seconds.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:49   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: First Big Trip

sounds like a good trip...may many more follow!
smooth sailing!
btw--welcome to cf.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 23:49   #15

Up at eight to a strange smell on the boat, we have a vacuum flush Lavac toilet, we had been pumping the handle with the lid closed as it should be, unfortunately the sea cock was closed. We broke the plate at the back of the pump (diaphragm). This meant the expected seal in the pump was lost and the contents were running into the bilge, disgusting. Stripped the pump on a Falmouth pontoon and went to the 'Bosuns Locker' for parts, very helpful as well. Bought a new pump, wrong fittings, returned and bought a maintenance pack for the pump, the plate was not in it. Returned the pack and made our own from a plastic Heinz bean container lid, worked a treat.

Had a good meal and got ready to go, the check of the lights showed the steaming White light on the mast was not working, new bulb purchased and a Bosuns chair put together with straps and sheets, I was then hoisted up the mast to replace the bulb. All good and set to depart.

Just outside Falmouth harbour we practiced out MOB routines before setting off into the English channel, Cowes, Isle of Wight is our next destination.