Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 11:19   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 73
Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Speak for yourself mate.. I prefer to find out myself rather than be 'Trained' by the often ignorant opinion of others..

Now if you'd said Bavaria..!!


Yes well unfortunately not everyone has the money, time nor chance to try out more than a couple of boats themselves so recurring to the opinions of others, properly adjusted by credibility of the source is all you've got when trying to narrow down the plethora of option out there as far as boats are concerned..

So yeah.. One random opinion in the Internet from an unknown .. Not losing sleep over that.. Keep getting the same opinion 10 times .. Hmm one wonders. Then hear similar things around the marina including some disatisfied owners themselves.. You'd be a fool to just ignore all that input.

Like I said.. Wish there was a "delete thread" button here
__________________

__________________
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:52   #32
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,535
Re: Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
Sheez folks this was supposed to be a tongue in cheek posting cause we found the other day at the marina we liked the boat from the outside but have been "trained" to not like Beneteaus.. It was all in good spirits .. Is there a "delete thread" button somewhere ? ...my goodness.
I believe the 36cc (1998) has the same hull,ballast, keel and rudder as the Beneteau 361 (1999), both boats being designed by Berret-Racopeau.

The only difference is that the 36cc has more windage due to a higher lateral profile to be able to offer a "king sized" aft cabin. The seaworthiness was very similar even if we can argue that the extra height on top and the crew weight elevated can contribute for a slightly smaller stability.

It is certainly not more seaworthy than the 361 and I have once heard someone complaining about the excessive lateral movement one experiences sitting high on the raised cockpit (but it was regarding a bigger CC Beneteau).

Both Beneteau and Bavaria tried the market at about the same time with CC boats derived from their AC boats but both stop producing them rather quickly.
__________________

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:48   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: sailing south
Boat: Ericson 35-2
Posts: 310
Re: Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Now if you'd said Bavaria..!!
Here is a crewed charter operation in Kamchatka, of all places. Bavaria 36.

https://vk.com/yacht_seawind
__________________
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 17:06   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, sailing in the Med.
Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50
Posts: 350
Re: Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otia View Post
Yeah. But I'm not so sure it's a good thing for them. The two most popular YouTuber sailors are Delos and La Vagabonde. In both cases I think we, the public, were charmed by their low budget "gypsy" adventures. Riley & Emma will now look like millionnaire sailors and might not attrack as much Patrons sympathy.
Very good point ! Hopefully the corporation wanting to take advantage of the huge following Riley and Emma have, does not destroy their dream for them. It could very well go sour. Hope not!
__________________
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 17:12   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, sailing in the Med.
Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50
Posts: 350
Re: Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Very good point ! Hopefully the corporation wanting to take advantage of the huge following Riley and Emma have, does not destroy their dream for them. It could very well go sour. Hope not!
Sorry - Elayna
__________________
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 17:41   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Boat: Endeavour 40
Posts: 132
Re: Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

pretty sure they actually have a backstay too!
__________________
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 17:45   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Posts: 74
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia
Re: Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Here is a crewed charter operation in Kamchatka, of all places. Bavaria 36.

https://vk.com/yacht_seawind
Again my point. American view in this forum.
Bavaria's are, in my opinion the best built production sailboats:
- selden rigging
- harken winches
- Farr design
- mine has Kevlar reinforcement in the front part of the hull (not all Bs have).
Ok, if budget wasn't an issue I'd get an Amel.
But, yes I had a budget limit and got a 2005 40ft Bavaria 6 years ago. 100% would recommend.
__________________
Otia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 22:16   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, sailing in the Med.
Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50
Posts: 350
Re: Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdamico View Post
I have been sailing a Beneteau 323 off the coast of San Diego, Southern California for 10 years. Awesome boat, and I might add this is Beneteau country, hundreds of Beneteaus sailing here, the only people that I know that hate them are people that can't afford them!
__________________
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 22:19   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, sailing in the Med.
Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50
Posts: 350
Re: Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
In general, Beneteau are mass produced to reduce costs. Deck equipment, is fantastic, as the design, where you can feel the hand of the designer... in a show room. But like many boat builders, Beneteau is in a very competitive market and cost cutting is visible her and there , when you look seriously in the scantings. And mass production imposes stranges short cuts and techniques, like applying varnich before cutting pannels, and this implies that edges of plywood as left raw, not too good in case of water ingress from the edges. And the way the structural grids are glued to the hull in the mold is prone to long term trouble, in my opinion. Same thing with the hull deck joint: Worysome!... Everything is shaved to reduce costs. and that is not unique to Bénéteau. Some recent Bénéteau have lost their keel offshore in gale conditions. But such mass produced boats will never normaly get into such gales. That is not surprising and if you hit some underwater reef or rock, then be ready to call your insurance. But all this said, can also be said to many low cost mass production builders, in Europe and United States. By the way Beneteau are nice sailors, look fantastic, and very inexpensive... relatively... There are better built boats like the Italian Grand Soleil, or the Danish Xboat, with their massive welded and bolted galvanized steel backbone, but they cost a bit more!...
Can't argue with that balanced perspective. Thanks
__________________
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:10   #40
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,535
Re: Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
In general, Beneteau are mass produced to reduce costs. Deck equipment, is fantastic, as the design, where you can feel the hand of the designer... in a show room. But like many boat builders, Beneteau is in a very competitive market and cost cutting is visible her and there , when you look seriously in the scantings. And mass production imposes stranges short cuts and techniques, like applying varnich before cutting pannels, and this implies that edges of plywood as left raw, not too good in case of water ingress from the edges. And the way the structural grids are glued to the hull in the mold is prone to long term trouble, in my opinion. Same thing with the hull deck joint: Worysome!... Everything is shaved to reduce costs. and that is not unique to Bénéteau. Some recent Bénéteau have lost their keel offshore in gale conditions. But such mass produced boats will never normaly get into such gales. That is not surprising and if you hit some underwater reef or rock, then be ready to call your insurance. But all this said, can also be said to many low cost mass production builders, in Europe and United States. By the way Beneteau are nice sailors, look fantastic, and very inexpensive... relatively... There are better built boats like the Italian Grand Soleil, or the Danish Xboat, with their massive welded and bolted galvanized steel backbone, but they cost a bit more!...
I only know about two First 40.7 losing the keel, both boats had been subjected to several groundings and not properly repaired. That is what you meant by Beneteaus losing the keel?

Regarding Beneteaus not going to gales, particularly the First 40.7, several boats have made several editions of the Sydney-Hobart getting really bad conditions, none had any problem with the keel.

Regarding losing keels to be a particular Beneteau problem two recent cases happened with a Steel van de Stadt, the boat was grounded before and obviously not well repaired, another one with a big Oyster. I remember also two very expensive recent Swedish boats losing the keel (after previous groundings). Anyway losing a keel is a very rare event regarding any type of boat on the market and the known cases have almost always previous groundings that caused damage that was not repaired.

Most X yachts use today a carbone struture, not steel. Not saying that all the boats are built the same way and I agree with some of your points but your exaggeration is huge. For instance, Beneteau uses bonding agents for more than 25 years and the boats are not falling appartr. It is true that nobody really knows how that bonding agent will be working in 40 years but those boats were not designed to last that long and that does not mean that they will not last that long.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:18   #41
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fiji Airways/ Lake Ontario
Boat: Want a B430!
Posts: 458
Re: Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

Oh sh*t if an Oceanis 36CC owner should be afraid...and I only have a Catalina 30!

My dream boat is a 44' MLB with a mast. Take that, Amel.
__________________
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:45   #42
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 400
Re: Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otia View Post
Yeah. But I'm not so sure it's a good thing for them. The two most popular YouTuber sailors are Delos and La Vagabonde. In both cases I think we, the public, were charmed by their low budget "gypsy" adventures. Riley & Emma will now look like millionnaire sailors and might not attrack as much Patrons sympathy.

If i were their agent I'd be shopping
them to the Travel Channel, Discovery or
Nat Geo. Trading their Patroen audience for
a free yacht for a year is not the best move.
Short term gain when they could be building a
real brand. Agree with the gypsy comment.
However there is an angle to be exploited
with a new yacht but not on you tube.
Speaking as a retired TV / Film executive .
Nice couple I wish them the best
Cheers
Neil
__________________
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:27   #43
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 19,704
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Here is a crewed charter operation in Kamchatka, of all places. Bavaria 36.

https://vk.com/yacht_seawind
LMAO.. just giving Hunters a break..
I cannot speak for the Oceanis 36 in question.. however having owned an Oceanis 321 and a 331 (bought during economic peaks and risking all) I do know they're okay boats.. bought and sailed both in the Caribe.. solo transat in both and never had a dramatic moment with gear failure during my ownership of them..
The only thing I found was the 321 French build was more sturdily put together than the US 331.. screw sizes barely adequate etc.
Try this site if you've not been there yet.. Forums | Beneteau UK Owners Association
__________________

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Click on de Pic 4 de Site^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 20:09   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, sailing in the Med.
Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50
Posts: 350
Re: Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I only know about two First 40.7 losing the keel, both boats had been subjected to several groundings and not properly repaired. That is what you meant by Beneteaus losing the keel?

Regarding Beneteaus not going to gales, particularly the First 40.7, several boats have made several editions of the Sydney-Hobart getting really bad conditions, none had any problem with the keel.

Regarding losing keels to be a particular Beneteau problem two recent cases happened with a Steel van de Stadt, the boat was grounded before and obviously not well repaired, another one with a big Oyster. I remember also two very expensive recent Swedish boats losing the keel (after previous groundings). Anyway losing a keel is a very rare event regarding any type of boat on the market and the known cases have almost always previous groundings that caused damage that was not repaired.

Most X yachts use today a carbone struture, not steel. Not saying that all the boats are built the same way and I agree with some of your points but your exaggeration is huge. For instance, Beneteau uses bonding agents for more than 25 years and the boats are not falling appartr. It is true that nobody really knows how that bonding agent will be working in 40 years but those boats were not designed to last that long and that does not mean that they will not last that long.
Another nicely rounded and balanced perspective. Interesting reading also. Thanks
__________________
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:10   #45
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 138
Re: Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

Jeez. Her name isn't Emma. It isn't Elayna. Its Elaynr.
Don't you guys listen when Riley talks?
__________________

__________________
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beneteau, oceanis

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding AC to Oceanis 36cc Beneteau1954 Monohull Sailboats 0 01-06-2016 16:10
Beneteau 36cc on Open Waters Cardo Monohull Sailboats 17 10-05-2016 17:18
Beneteau Oceanis 36cc leak carlager Monohull Sailboats 0 19-12-2015 13:24
For Sale: 2000 BENETEAU 36CC Captain Peppers Classifieds Archive 0 28-03-2015 14:11
Oceanis 36CC windlass suk Construction, Maintenance & Refit 0 09-09-2010 15:00


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:31.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.