Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 11:19   #31

Boat: Malö 40H
Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Speak for yourself mate.. I prefer to find out myself rather than be 'Trained' by the often ignorant opinion of others..

Now if you'd said Bavaria..!!

Yes well unfortunately not everyone has the money, time nor chance to try out more than a couple of boats themselves so recurring to the opinions of others, properly adjusted by credibility of the source is all you've got when trying to narrow down the plethora of option out there as far as boats are concerned..

So yeah.. One random opinion in the Internet from an unknown .. Not losing sleep over that.. Keep getting the same opinion 10 times .. Hmm one wonders. Then hear similar things around the marina including some disatisfied owners themselves.. You'd be a fool to just ignore all that input.

Like I said.. Wish there was a "delete thread" button here
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:52   #32

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
Sheez folks this was supposed to be a tongue in cheek posting cause we found the other day at the marina we liked the boat from the outside but have been "trained" to not like Beneteaus.. It was all in good spirits .. Is there a "delete thread" button somewhere ? ...my goodness.
I believe the 36cc (1998) has the same hull,ballast, keel and rudder as the Beneteau 361 (1999), both boats being designed by Berret-Racopeau.

The only difference is that the 36cc has more windage due to a higher lateral profile to be able to offer a "king sized" aft cabin. The seaworthiness was very similar even if we can argue that the extra height on top and the crew weight elevated can contribute for a slightly smaller stability.

It is certainly not more seaworthy than the 361 and I have once heard someone complaining about the excessive lateral movement one experiences sitting high on the raised cockpit (but it was regarding a bigger CC Beneteau).

Both Beneteau and Bavaria tried the market at about the same time with CC boats derived from their AC boats but both stop producing them rather quickly.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:48   #33

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Now if you'd said Bavaria..!!
Here is a crewed charter operation in Kamchatka, of all places. Bavaria 36.

https://vk.com/yacht_seawind
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 17:06   #34

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otia View Post
Yeah. But I'm not so sure it's a good thing for them. The two most popular YouTuber sailors are Delos and La Vagabonde. In both cases I think we, the public, were charmed by their low budget "gypsy" adventures. Riley & Emma will now look like millionnaire sailors and might not attrack as much Patrons sympathy.
Very good point ! Hopefully the corporation wanting to take advantage of the huge following Riley and Emma have, does not destroy their dream for them. It could very well go sour. Hope not!
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 17:12   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Very good point ! Hopefully the corporation wanting to take advantage of the huge following Riley and Emma have, does not destroy their dream for them. It could very well go sour. Hope not!
Sorry - Elayna
Old 02-11-2016, 17:41   #36

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

pretty sure they actually have a backstay too!
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 17:45   #37

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post

Again my point. American view in this forum.
Bavaria's are, in my opinion the best built production sailboats:
- selden rigging
- harken winches
- Farr design
- mine has Kevlar reinforcement in the front part of the hull (not all Bs have).
Ok, if budget wasn't an issue I'd get an Amel.
But, yes I had a budget limit and got a 2005 40ft Bavaria 6 years ago. 100% would recommend.
Otia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 22:16   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdamico View Post
I have been sailing a Beneteau 323 off the coast of San Diego, Southern California for 10 years. Awesome boat, and I might add this is Beneteau country, hundreds of Beneteaus sailing here, the only people that I know that hate them are people that can't afford them!
Old 02-11-2016, 22:19   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
In general, Beneteau are mass produced to reduce costs. Deck equipment, is fantastic, as the design, where you can feel the hand of the designer... in a show room. But like many boat builders, Beneteau is in a very competitive market and cost cutting is visible her and there , when you look seriously in the scantings. And mass production imposes stranges short cuts and techniques, like applying varnich before cutting pannels, and this implies that edges of plywood as left raw, not too good in case of water ingress from the edges. And the way the structural grids are glued to the hull in the mold is prone to long term trouble, in my opinion. Same thing with the hull deck joint: Worysome!... Everything is shaved to reduce costs. and that is not unique to Bénéteau. Some recent Bénéteau have lost their keel offshore in gale conditions. But such mass produced boats will never normaly get into such gales. That is not surprising and if you hit some underwater reef or rock, then be ready to call your insurance. But all this said, can also be said to many low cost mass production builders, in Europe and United States. By the way Beneteau are nice sailors, look fantastic, and very inexpensive... relatively... There are better built boats like the Italian Grand Soleil, or the Danish Xboat, with their massive welded and bolted galvanized steel backbone, but they cost a bit more!...
Can't argue with that balanced perspective. Thanks
Old 03-11-2016, 05:10   #40

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
In general, Beneteau are mass produced to reduce costs. Deck equipment, is fantastic, as the design, where you can feel the hand of the designer... in a show room. But like many boat builders, Beneteau is in a very competitive market and cost cutting is visible her and there , when you look seriously in the scantings. And mass production imposes stranges short cuts and techniques, like applying varnich before cutting pannels, and this implies that edges of plywood as left raw, not too good in case of water ingress from the edges. And the way the structural grids are glued to the hull in the mold is prone to long term trouble, in my opinion. Same thing with the hull deck joint: Worysome!... Everything is shaved to reduce costs. and that is not unique to Bénéteau. Some recent Bénéteau have lost their keel offshore in gale conditions. But such mass produced boats will never normaly get into such gales. That is not surprising and if you hit some underwater reef or rock, then be ready to call your insurance. But all this said, can also be said to many low cost mass production builders, in Europe and United States. By the way Beneteau are nice sailors, look fantastic, and very inexpensive... relatively... There are better built boats like the Italian Grand Soleil, or the Danish Xboat, with their massive welded and bolted galvanized steel backbone, but they cost a bit more!...
I only know about two First 40.7 losing the keel, both boats had been subjected to several groundings and not properly repaired. That is what you meant by Beneteaus losing the keel?

Regarding Beneteaus not going to gales, particularly the First 40.7, several boats have made several editions of the Sydney-Hobart getting really bad conditions, none had any problem with the keel.

Regarding losing keels to be a particular Beneteau problem two recent cases happened with a Steel van de Stadt, the boat was grounded before and obviously not well repaired, another one with a big Oyster. I remember also two very expensive recent Swedish boats losing the keel (after previous groundings). Anyway losing a keel is a very rare event regarding any type of boat on the market and the known cases have almost always previous groundings that caused damage that was not repaired.

Most X yachts use today a carbone struture, not steel. Not saying that all the boats are built the same way and I agree with some of your points but your exaggeration is huge. For instance, Beneteau uses bonding agents for more than 25 years and the boats are not falling appartr. It is true that nobody really knows how that bonding agent will be working in 40 years but those boats were not designed to last that long and that does not mean that they will not last that long.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:18   #41

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Oh sh*t if an Oceanis 36CC owner should be afraid...and I only have a Catalina 30!

My dream boat is a 44' MLB with a mast. Take that, Amel.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:45   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otia View Post
Yeah. But I'm not so sure it's a good thing for them. The two most popular YouTuber sailors are Delos and La Vagabonde. In both cases I think we, the public, were charmed by their low budget "gypsy" adventures. Riley & Emma will now look like millionnaire sailors and might not attrack as much Patrons sympathy.

If i were their agent I'd be shopping
them to the Travel Channel, Discovery or
Nat Geo. Trading their Patroen audience for
a free yacht for a year is not the best move.
Short term gain when they could be building a
real brand. Agree with the gypsy comment.
However there is an angle to be exploited
with a new yacht but not on you tube.
Speaking as a retired TV / Film executive .
Nice couple I wish them the best
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:27   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do we hate the Beneteau Oceanis 36CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post

LMAO.. just giving Hunters a break..
I cannot speak for the Oceanis 36 in question.. however having owned an Oceanis 321 and a 331 (bought during economic peaks and risking all) I do know they're okay boats.. bought and sailed both in the Caribe.. solo transat in both and never had a dramatic moment with gear failure during my ownership of them..
The only thing I found was the 321 French build was more sturdily put together than the US 331.. screw sizes barely adequate etc.
Try this site if you've not been there yet.. Forums | Beneteau UK Owners Association

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 20:09   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I only know about two First 40.7 losing the keel, both boats had been subjected to several groundings and not properly repaired. That is what you meant by Beneteaus losing the keel?

Regarding Beneteaus not going to gales, particularly the First 40.7, several boats have made several editions of the Sydney-Hobart getting really bad conditions, none had any problem with the keel.

Regarding losing keels to be a particular Beneteau problem two recent cases happened with a Steel van de Stadt, the boat was grounded before and obviously not well repaired, another one with a big Oyster. I remember also two very expensive recent Swedish boats losing the keel (after previous groundings). Anyway losing a keel is a very rare event regarding any type of boat on the market and the known cases have almost always previous groundings that caused damage that was not repaired.

Most X yachts use today a carbone struture, not steel. Not saying that all the boats are built the same way and I agree with some of your points but your exaggeration is huge. For instance, Beneteau uses bonding agents for more than 25 years and the boats are not falling appartr. It is true that nobody really knows how that bonding agent will be working in 40 years but those boats were not designed to last that long and that does not mean that they will not last that long.
Another nicely rounded and balanced perspective. Interesting reading also. Thanks
Old 06-11-2016, 07:10   #45

Jeez. Her name isn't Emma. It isn't Elayna. Its Elaynr.
Don't you guys listen when Riley talks?
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis