Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 08:58   #16

Re: Couple Cruising Under 30ft?

In cruising small boats you spend much of your time in the cockpit. My biggest complaint about a Westsail is that most of them were built with a truly poor cockpit, or actually no cockpit at all, just a foot well in the aft deck. Most were built with no combing so that water running down the decks pours into the foot well after it goes right past your butt. Having comfortably angled combings and the correct height can make a big difference in your enjoyment. I started long distance sailing in a 26 foot boat that had a very comfortable cockpit and when I started visiting other boats and sailing other boats I was disappointed by how some were so uncomfortable. Many of the boats you have listed are at the high end of the price scale. That is not too important but many have way too much teak on the outside for simple cruising. If you want simple, stay away from large amounts of teak. Just my 2 cents worth. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:34   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Have you actually looked at any smaller IP's? While I believe them to be mostly in Florida and the Caribbean, there may be a few in California.
For their size, It seems they have a lot of room and decent tankage / storage etc
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:51   #18

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

In the last 5 years, we have sailed over 40,000 miles, much of it in the company of a couple sailing a Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31. I think they're still on their original tank of diesel. Their boat has done exceedingly well even if it isn't the fastest filly in the fleet - their passage from Cape Town to US Virgin Islands took them 58 days.

I know several of people who own Westsail 32's and they earned the nickname 'Wet Snail' for a good reason.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:07   #19

Boat: Scout 30

While you've clearly got good taste in boats it would be helpful if you would share your budget. There's a big range of value in your list. The main thing is to find a boat in good condition. The diesel is a big percentage of the value of the boat with repowers running $10,000 to $20,000. Sails are another really expensive item. I'd avoid teak decks but your list doesn't include much of that anyway. Personally I thing any Pacific Seacraft model will take you anywhere you want to go & I'd be proud to own one. Here's the first in a series of videos on outfitting a Dana 24 for long distance cruising.

I watched a video on the Hiscock's favorite boat, Wanderer III, last night & was amazed at what a successful cruiser that has been. Over 300,000 miles under her keel & a bunch of circumnavigations & this 60 year old wooden boat is only 30' long & still going strong. Just goes to show you that you don't need a big boat to cruise successfully regardless of what you might read on this forum.

Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:11   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

My (ex) wife and I are both engineers as well, and share much of your values and experiences you mention in your detailed posts...minimalist adventure seekers.

When we were younger, we sailed a Tanzer 22. It was like a sailing backpack. At the time, it was awesome. But over time, the desire for a bigger boat grew. Mostly out of practical reasons...more storage space, easier cooking, better engine, and most important to me...the ability to be comfortable in bad weather.

Consider this...for a 2 week cruise you still need the same amount of personal gear (ww gear, warm clothes, sleeping bags, etc), you still need to eat food every day, and drink water. A small boat puts limits on what you can bring. It is by definition, a small boat.

Personally, I found that a 30 foot boat was the minimum that could carry all my gear and supplies with no trouble, and also offer up a decent galley and diesel engine, on a boat big and heavy enough to handle 3 metre seas and 40 knot winds.

Think about the day you will get an all day rain at anchor. That happens all the time. Will you get cabin fever on your boat?

On the other hand, I miss pushing my boat into the shallows till the keel was in the sand. And I miss the low costs of small lines/fenders/anchors/everything on a smaller boat. So I think the answer is...just do it. No boat you buy will be perfect. Buy a boat you like, have some fun, learn about yourself. As you sail, you will discover what you like, what you need, and what you can do without. There is always a next boat. So if this is your first, go ahead and get the 27 and go bash around in the waves and have a ball.

Don't forget to update us later, to let us know what happened and how it turned out!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikePlanesToo View Post
About our preferences:
We are interested in going very simple. We love camping/backpacking/4x4 jeep trips... We don’t need a lot of creature comforts or fancy technology gizmos.
You two sound like you have an honest handle on your needs. Small space, big life types (ha, just came up with that!

However, see your quote above, just because a jeep is small, and backpacking/camping living space is small you have land all around those activities to stretch out you and your gear/stuff.
Unless you plan to spend a lot of time in a marina (i take it you don't for proper cruising purposes and budget) I would be considering a bigger boat.

Just my experience. I could not stand living aboard, single, on a 27' (beamier than almost any other her size). It's not you two, it's all your stuff and at a point less space, less boat amenities. Your in the north, you are going to want a decent hot shower often.

I would be looking at 32-37.

It's rare you sell your smaller boat for a bigger one w/o some loss of money moving up. Waiting a lil longer to save or divest to buy bigger may be a consideration for you two to think about?
Imho.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:31   #22

You might want to add the Gozzard 31 to your list.

Gozzard 31: Cutter for the Cruising Couple - boats.com
Old 07-12-2016, 10:33   #23

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
A Westsail 32' IS twice as big as your boat. Check the displacement numbers
This is definitely the way to address boat size. People say the can easily live on a 24 foot boat. That could be a canoe at 70 lbs or a Dana 24 at 8000 lbs. I'm a minimalist and the Orion works for me. Not meaning to sound sexist but I feel that most women require a little more space. Give yourselves between 5 and 8 thousand lbs displacement per person. My little boat helps me stay single. That and my looks.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 15:11   #24

Location: Jane Bay, Barkley Sound, West Coast Vancouver Island
Boat: Cooper, Banner 37'

Have a look for some of the first books by Dave & Jaja Martin. They are full time live aboard cruisers that lived and had 2 kids on a Cal 25. When their third kid was due they upgraded to a 32' metal. Last I heard they were high latitude cruising.

There is two ways to riches: aquire more or require less. Plan B works for lots of cruisers.
seamountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 15:33   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Couple Cruising Under 30ft?

Just had a look at the Orion27 on Sailboatdata.. it ticks all my boxes very nicely.. more so than a Westsail.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 15:40   #26

Boat: Scout 30

I found this on Craigslist today. It's not in California but boy is it sweet!

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...882611890.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 17:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamountie View Post
Have a look for some of the first books by Dave & Jaja Martin. They are full time live aboard cruisers that lived and had 2 kids on a Cal 25. When their third kid was due they upgraded to a 32' metal. Last I heard they were high latitude cruising.

There is two ways to riches: aquire more or require less. Plan B works for lots of cruisers.
Dave and Jaja.....I LOVE those guys!!! They are why I bought a Cal 25...I had the exact same boat as them! It was very big for a 25, and fast too. I think their third baby was actually born on the boat during a passage. They totally rock!

Also, regarding your paths to riches comment...there is a simple, surefire way to make a small fortune....start with a large fortune, and work your way down!!!! LOL. (are jokes allowed here?)
Old 07-12-2016, 18:02   #28

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
If you want simple, stay away from large amounts of teak. Just my 2 cents worth. _____Grant.
I disagree... Taleisin is simple and she's almost all teak....
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 18:07   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
This is definitely the way to address boat size. People say the can easily live on a 24 foot boat. That could be a canoe at 70 lbs or a Dana 24 at 8000 lbs. I'm a minimalist and the Orion works for me. Not meaning to sound sexist but I feel that most women require a little more space. Give yourselves between 5 and 8 thousand lbs displacement per person. My little boat helps me stay single. That and my looks.

goat
Oh yeah...learned that the hard way...the ladies like to have a head on board, with PRIVACY. Personally, I'm fine with a bucket, but thats a whole nother thread. My wife also wanted air conditioning, hot water, a shower, a "comfortable" bunk, refrigeration, etc, etc.... now she's the ex wife. LOL. Now I'm an old man looking for an old woman who likes to sail, tepid drinks, and can pee in a bucket.
Old 07-12-2016, 18:14   #30

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Oh yeah...learned that the hard way...the ladies like to have a head on board, with PRIVACY. Personally, I'm fine with a bucket, but thats a whole nother thread. My wife also wanted air conditioning, hot water, a shower, a "comfortable" bunk, refrigeration, etc, etc.... now she's the ex wife. LOL. Now I'm an old man looking for an old woman who likes to sail, tepid drinks, and can pee in a bucket.
You'd be surprised how quickly a bucket becomes appealing if the urge becomes big enough

Then again I'm very lucky, Annie's not as fussy as most....
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising