Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2017, 17:57   #1

Boat: Southcoast 22ft sailboat
Where to start?

Hello to everyone who clicks here. I didn't see a place to introduce myself so guess I will do it here. Moderators feel free to move if need be.
I have a ton of things I need help with. So here is what I have. A older 22ft Southcoast , on a trailer in my driveway. It came with a mast and cables to hold it up . No boom sails rudder tiller and well pretty well gutted on the inside. the swing keel is rusted tight as well. So my work is cut out for me. And that is OK as long as I can get some fine folks to give me some direction. Oh yes I have had this for about 6 or 7 years now. What I have done so far is found sails. From a boatyard in Indianapolis In. north side. also found an old boom, so so. and a tiller. No rudder yet. The outside finish is a bit chalky. i buffed and put on a few coats of wax. It will do for now. the inside on the other hand needs totally redone. I guess these boats are painted? and some is coming off so I am thinking repainting there. But I don't know what kind of paint to use?
I have thought about just getting rid of this as is and starting over but heck seems like a waste to me. I have never sailed or owned a boat before. So this is as good as any. I now live about an hour and a half from lake Michigan and have many smaller Lakes close by. But I think at best this boat will never be worth more than $3,000 to $ 3,500 at most. What to do?
trucker33377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:46   #2

Re: Where to start?

Welcome aboard. Lake sailing can be fun and your boat will be a great way to start learning to sail. I reckon I would put all of my effort into making the boat sailable. Inside can wait because you probably will be only doing day sailing for a while/

Get that swing keel unstuck. If you can't then you might not be able to sail it.
Get the mast up. It's not hard to do. Get the sails on and make sure that the rigging is sound. If you can't find a rudder, you can build one. They are usually fibreglass, but you can make one from marine ply a good sander and lots of epoxy resin. There should be a couple of pins at the back that the rudder slides onto. You will need to buy or make a couple of fittings to attach to the rudder. Swing keel boats can also have swing rudders so that you can get close to shore.
Check your trailer and make sure it's roadworthy.
Once the keel, rudder and sails are all operational, you can go sailing. Start on small lakes with good boat ramps. Read up about how to sail. The old MacGregor site had some good beginners info. Don't forget that you might need an outboard motor to get you where you want to go when the wind won't. Don't forget your safety gear and you might need a licence to sail.

The best way to learn is to go sailing with others. They'll show you the ropes. The internet and youtube might help.

Once you've got it all figured out, you might want to start working on the inside. To give you and your guests some creature comforts. You really only need this if you want to overnight. For day sailing, you can get by with an icebox and a small camp stove. Just make sure if you're sailing for a day that you've got your toilet needs sorted out. Some guests might not appreciate the lack of facilities.

Try to get the boat as reliable as possible and try to build your sailing skills. Get some weather forecasting apps and in the early stages, don't go out sailing if it's going to blow more than 15 knots. Take easy and you'll have the time of your life/
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 16:27   #3

All good advice! thanks, the Keel has a come along looking thing that lifts it, that is what is looked up my guess is a real good shot of WD40 and some time will break it lose. To be safe I would like to replace the cable and ratchet. I have found plans for a rudder But not anything on how long it should be. As far as the trailer goes I have moved the bout about 60 or so miles. Greased the wheels. I have to move it another 120 miles now to get it to my shop. Will replace the tires first, they are dry rotted pretty bad now.I don't think I need any thing to sail with in Indiana but to be sure I found a Free on line safety course on line called www.boat-ed.com everything helps. I did find a short shaft outboard but i am not sure if it will work or not. I still have to study up on setting the mast up. This summer is D-Day to put it a lake. Most likely Lake Maxinkuckee. Should find plenty of help there. Culver Indiana. I will need to have lights working and of course all safety Equipment in place. Thanks
Old 10-02-2017, 19:42   #4

Boat: Albin Vega

Hello fellow trucker

This is merely my opinion but if I were in your shoes I would not waste my limited time and money fixing up an old boat.

It's quite possible you won't even enjoy sailing at all and will have wasted finite resources just so you could get an old boat back in the water.

Have you thought about just taking some sailing lessons or going out with someone else who has a boat first? Probably a good bet.

The only justification I can see to restore a boat is if it is unique or has some sentimental value to you, you'll never recover the cost of restoration (not even close) if you decide to sell the boat.

You're probably better off to just buy something that's already suitable for use, it will cost much less and you can spend your resets enjoying water rushing past your boat instead of scraping hulls and smelling fiberglass resin.

Whatever you do I wish you luck and enjoyment
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 21:51   #5

I have thought about that very thing. As long as I have my health I am good. Money ? Whats that? I know Putting money into anything is a lost cause. A few years back the wife and I took a cruse to Cozmel. Most boring thing I have ever done. I don't gamble or drink. And I really need to eat less and drop a few LBS. So all in all fixing the boat is part of the adventure. Sure it would be nice to walk into a marina and drop a boatload of money on a new boat. Just like getting a new car it loses thousands as soon as you pull out. And drive it for awhile you have to put money in it to keep going. One of the worse thing I like to do is get a brand new big truck! its in and out of the shop for the 1st 275,000 miles. The one I drive now is a 2001 with nearly 720,000 miles. runs like a timex. The SC is mine, lock stock and barrel. To date my investment is only about $1300. I figure from what I am seeing another1,000 or so will get me going. I will look for and find deal on things, a rudder to buy new is pricey. But a few SS nuts and bolts and some pressure treated 2X10s not to bad. Anchors next, I have some plate steel laying in my back yard and a cutting torch along with 35 yrs working with steel and welders. I bet I can come up with something to throw over the bow to hold me. Its part of the fun. My dad always said Find a job you really like to do and life will be a hobbie. As far as riding along in someones boat I did that once, In the USMC. No more of that LOL.

And one other thing I have about 20 chickens out back. I had to get feed today for them. I use non GMO feed $23.00 of 30lbs it last about a week or 2. I avg about 2 or 3 eggs per day. And i have spent close to $1,000 on feeders waters coups and runs. Walmart sells eggs for 99 cents a doz. But my eggs are so good. And the smell of the coup when you go in. You see it is all in how you see things. Today I will have one of those roosters for dinner, My guess is about $175 per lbs. but it was fun building the runs getting the birds and taking care of them and the grandkids love to come look for eggs.
Old 11-02-2017, 17:58   #6

Boat: Albin Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker33377 View Post
I have thought about that very thing. As long as I have my health I am good. Money ? Whats that? I know Putting money into anything is a lost cause. A few years back the wife and I took a cruse to Cozmel. Most boring thing I have ever done. I don't gamble or drink. And I really need to eat less and drop a few LBS. So all in all fixing the boat is part of the adventure. Sure it would be nice to walk into a marina and drop a boatload of money on a new boat. Just like getting a new car it loses thousands as soon as you pull out. And drive it for awhile you have to put money in it to keep going. One of the worse thing I like to do is get a brand new big truck! its in and out of the shop for the 1st 275,000 miles. The one I drive now is a 2001 with nearly 720,000 miles. runs like a timex. The SC is mine, lock stock and barrel. To date my investment is only about $1300. I figure from what I am seeing another1,000 or so will get me going. I will look for and find deal on things, a rudder to buy new is pricey. But a few SS nuts and bolts and some pressure treated 2X10s not to bad. Anchors next, I have some plate steel laying in my back yard and a cutting torch along with 35 yrs working with steel and welders. I bet I can come up with something to throw over the bow to hold me. Its part of the fun. My dad always said Find a job you really like to do and life will be a hobbie. As far as riding along in someones boat I did that once, In the USMC. No more of that LOL.

And one other thing I have about 20 chickens out back. I had to get feed today for them. I use non GMO feed $23.00 of 30lbs it last about a week or 2. I avg about 2 or 3 eggs per day. And i have spent close to $1,000 on feeders waters coups and runs. Walmart sells eggs for 99 cents a doz. But my eggs are so good. And the smell of the coup when you go in. You see it is all in how you see things. Today I will have one of those roosters for dinner, My guess is about $175 per lbs. but it was fun building the runs getting the birds and taking care of them and the grandkids love to come look for eggs.
Sounds like you know the answer to your inquiry Enjoy!
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote