Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2017, 12:44   #1

Boat: Columbia-Hughes, 8.7, 29 '
Brockville to Rimouski help

I am sailing from Toronto to PEI in June / July. I prefer not to anchor. Any suggestions of marinas between Brockville and Rimouski? Has anyone done this trip and have stopover suggestions? L6
Leonora6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:56   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Brockville to Rimouski help

I suggest two resources: "A Cruising Guide to the Gulf of Saint Lawrence," edited by Jim Evans, and the Canadian Sailing Directions: ATL 112, 111, 110 and 108. Between these you'll find descriptions of facilities along your route.
It's a lovely part of the world--enjoy!
Ben
zartmancruising.com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 14:00   #3

Boat: Mirage 35

If you read French the Quebec "Nautiguide" has all sorts of useful information of that nature.

Nautiguide : Votre guide nautique au Québec
Old 09-02-2017, 15:02   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Why no anchoring? There are many beautiful places to stop along the way?
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 15:05   #5

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonora6 View Post
I am sailing from Toronto to PEI in June / July. I prefer not to anchor. Any suggestions of marinas between Brockville and Rimouski? Has anyone done this trip and have stopover suggestions? L6
===

We did that trip last summer and had no problem finding places to stay. In Montreal I'd recommend Port de Plaisance LaRonde (the marina at the north east end of Ile St Helene) or the Royal St Lawrence Yacht Club in Dorval. In Quebec City we stayed at Vieux Port de Quebec which is a large marina conveniently located to the shops and restaurants of old Quebec. Heading north east from QC we anchored one night at Trois Rivieres and then spent the next night in the small marina at Cap-a-L'Aigle. Next stop was one of the highpoints of the cruise, Tadoussac Marina at the mouth of the Saguenay Fjord. Plan to spend at least a couple of days there and go out on one of the many whale watching boats. From Tadoussac we went directly to the marina at Rimouski but there are some anchorages along the south side of the river before you get there if needed. You'll find that most shore power connections along the way are 30 amp only. We needed to buy a 30 to 50 adapter.

One resource that you'll definitely want to become familiar with is the web site at activecaptain.com - you'll need to sign up but usage is free and the information is constantly being updated by active cruisers like ourselves.

http://activecaptain.com
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:05   #6

Boat: Catalina 375

I will be leaving Kingston on June 10 for Halifax and on to Maine. I am fluently bilingual and 'know' Quebec. If you want to sail with me in tandom let me know.

The marinas in the St Lawrence might depend upon your draft. I draw 7'2" and as such am planning the transit when I think the water will be the highest over datum.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:16   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbeg View Post
I will be leaving Kingston on June 10 for Halifax and on to Maine. I am fluently bilingual and 'know' Quebec. If you want to sail with me in tandom let me know.

The marinas in the St Lawrence might depend upon your draft. I draw 7'2" and as such am planning the transit when I think the water will be the highest over datum.
June is probably your best bet, then, even though I would expect it to be cool the farther NE you sail.

The French guides are excellent if you can read it.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:21   #8

Boat: PaceShip PY26

Depending on your time frame of passing through the beauharnois canal locks, the valleyfield marina is pretty good and usually has guest slips available with Water and electricity, Gas/Diesel and pump outs. restaurants within walking distance. It's where i keep my boat.

Websites all in french but Accueil
MarkVatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:23   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hi guys, just noticed this thread. We are in Belleville, and plan to head to Newfoundland this season. We’re planning to leave around mid-June, so might see you Leonora6 or ardbeg.

We have the Evans guide and "Cruising Guide St. Lawrence River & Quebec Waterways”

Our goal is to stay out of marinas as much as possible, and to take our time. So much to see and do along this route, and I doubt we’ll ever sail back up the river.

Anyway, hope to see you along the route. Erdbeg, we’re just down the road/river from you. In fact, we’ll probably end up anchoring in the 1000 Islands for a while. Maybe we can connect.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonora6 View Post
I am sailing from Toronto to PEI in June / July. I prefer not to ancho,r. Any suggestions of marinas between Brockville and Rimouski? Has anyone done this trip and have stopover suggestions? L6
From Brockville to PEI... stop at Cornwall at Marina 200 great marina local shopping for supplies. Or Marina Campi in Valleyfield. These two Marinas are on Lake St Francis. Montreal, the old Expo site good stop over, Then a few stops between Montreal and Quebec City. Quebec City is a must stop at the Marina du Vieux Port. Excellent eating in the old part of Québec all within walking distance. I do not know how fast you are going so... once you leave Quebec you will have to time yourself with the tide (20 foot tides or so). Then go with local knowledge for stops... excellent trip. Good luck.

PS a radar is almost a must when you go by Tadousac. You have fresh cold water coming down the Saguenay River that meets the warm water of the St Lawrence that creates local fog that can last for some time.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:37   #11

We have been talking about visiting PEI for the last few years, but it's been only talk.

But oddly enough, my wife suggested finding out if there are others doing a similar trip and hooking up.

We float in a Carver 3607, but rarely get more than 8kns .

I'd be interested in talking more about this and see if it's plausible.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 17:53   #12

When you go upriver (compass south, between Quebec City and Montreal), there is a guy on the left side of the river, at least 45 minutes or an hour south of QCity who plays the National anthem of where the ship passing by is registered, and I understand he runs up the flag of that country (if he has their flag). Much appreciated by the crews after being on the high seas for a while.
Also does it for the cruise boats and recreational boats.
Budicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 19:13   #13

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 islands View Post
We have been talking about visiting PEI for the last few years, but it's been only talk.

But oddly enough, my wife suggested finding out if there are others doing a similar trip and hooking up.

We float in a Carver 3607, but rarely get more than 8kns .

I'd be interested in talking more about this and see if it's plausible.
If you are going that way find the time to visit the south coast of Newfoundland. We have circled the world on our boat and found no cruising more interesting.
Old 10-02-2017, 19:14   #14

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
If you read French the Quebec "Nautiguide" has all sorts of useful information of that nature.

Nautiguide : Votre guide nautique au Québec
Picked up a bilingual guide at the Toronto Boat Show put out by Quebec. It is excellent.
Old 10-02-2017, 19:21   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
If you are going that way find the time to visit the south coast of Newfoundland. We have circled the world on our boat and found no cruising more interesting.
Good to hear AiniA; it’s where we’re headed. Current plan is to go to Corner Brook, and probably spend a few seasons based out of there exploring The Rock and possibly up to Labrador.