Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2012, 19:30   #91

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Re: Clipper Marine ?

Another update on my sailing adventure.

Last week, I answered an ad for a gentelman that fell off a horse, that wanted to downsize his sailboat to a smaller one, due to injuries.

I called him, and we traded our sailboats. I traded him my white Mac 25 and trailer with two sails, and he traded me a blue Clipper Marine 32 and trailer with seven sails.

I have a slip for the new boat that accepts sailboats up to 32 feet. I hope to splash down this coming weekend.

Wish me luck!

More pics can be seen at:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=3EE53...913503D8%21425

I will have a little work bring her up to having company over.

GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 14:44   #92

She looks good on the water! Early spring here in Nebraska.

Old 31-03-2012, 03:50   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I think most in here can agree that Clipper Marine made some of the most poorly constructed and poor sailing boats ever. These types of boats obviously suit some. Different boats for different folks. There is nothing wrong with that.

For the vast majority of people though, you probably want to look at something better constructed and a better sailing boat especially if you are not going to be sailing on a small lake. I think that is a fair and factual statement.
I think this old post of yours could be the product of a bad day, or possibly an error in judgment.

I own a couple of Clipper Marine sailboats, both 32's. While I have zero experience on smaller CM's, I imagine your first hand knowledge with feet on these boats is less than mine. Granted, they are not around the world race machines, however they are pushing the 40 year mark with thousands of sailboats still in service all around the world, serving the pleasures of their skippers and crews.

If nothing else, your comment is unkind to those of us that love Clipper Marine sailboats, of which many here have commented.

In interest of fairness, as a moderator here, how about a step back, and maybe thinking about reevaluating your personal comments.

Thank you for your time.
Old 31-03-2012, 05:11   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Yes David; respectfully offered personal opinions are only welcome when they are in agreement with everyone else’s, and complimentary. If you prefer blue over green, just keep your mouth shut!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 18:37   #95

An already-old CM 21 was my first sailboat. I have very fond memories of it, and don't for a minute think I should have bought something "better" at the time.

I wouldn't head out into the open ocean with it, but that's as relevant as offering that advice to someone buying a JetSki.
Pete R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 00:08   #96

Much to update. Sunday we pulled out the 32 Clipper Marine for another sailboat. Wait a moment. I hear someone already saying "we told you so".

After I brought home the first CM32 a short time goes by and a model I really wanted more landed in my lap. The first one was tired and dirty. The second one was only dirty. Lol

A gentleman sold me a very nice boat from the LA area. Paid someone to do a survey which passed two thumbs up, and a uship bid of $1300 brought it to Denver where I picked it up and continued on to Nebraska.

First heard of this center cockpit aft cabin ketch in January, got it bought in mid March and splashed yesterday. First I had everything serviced, hull polished and bottom painted.

The boat looks like it came through time to get here. 99% of everything that was once on the boat originally is still there in good condition.

Sails are a little stained but usable. Will work at brightening them back up again.

Hull is hard as a rock and so is everything else. Has a ship feel to it unlike a small boat feel of my Mac 25.

Stepping the masts was done in the water on my slip. Many friendly hands came on board. Took about five hours to launch and step two masts.

Extra time was needed as the markings on the rigging did not travel well through time so there was some head scratching involved as well as trial and error a couple times.

Two 32 foot sailboats? Well the sloop will see one of two fates. I may sell her along with a trailer that would move a 35' sailboat, or I may keep her and take turns sailing one while working on the other. We will see.

If you had a coin in your pocket that had the mint mark wore off, would you bad mouth all coins of that mint? People saying negative comments about CM's in most cases only seen one or two in neglected condition, or they expect a boat line that was made to easily trailer anywhere to sail in winds like a category 3 hurricane.

Given the assignment of building a lightweight affordable trailer sailboat, having so many of these around forty years later in good condition is a remarkable feat that shows credit to the man that designed them, William Crealock and the men / women that built them.

If an ad shows up in Craig's List for a Clipper Marine, go check her out. May be the sailboat you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2207022962.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	41939   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2246857292.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	41940  

Name:	image-2233512804.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	41942  
Old 05-06-2012, 00:42   #97

In case anyone wonders about my local sports team, check out that waterline stripe on a white & blue hull boat. Uncle Sam meets Go Big Red.

Did not plan this. Defender messed up sending my white stripe hull paint. Paint will not ship next day air, and I had waited long enough. Let's just say, it is a one of a kind that may go white stripe next time. We will see how it holds up. It is 4" or so above the water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3100618508.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	41943   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1621987377.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	41944  

Name:	image-365715333.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	41945  
Old 21-08-2012, 19:39   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
First heard of this center cockpit aft cabin ketch in January, got it bought in mid March and splashed yesterday. First I had everything serviced, hull polished and bottom painted.

<----- snip ----->

If an ad shows up in Craig's List for a Clipper Marine, go check her out. May be the sailboat you are looking for.
I note you have a Clipper Marine 32 center cockpit Boat, so now that you've owned it a short while, do you in your opinion feel this boat is strong enough to make a good coastal cruiser & be lived aboard?
-Bruce
Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 19:58   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
I note you have a Clipper Marine 32 center cockpit Boat, so now that you've owned it a short while, do you in your opinion feel this boat is strong enough to make a good coastal cruiser & be lived aboard?
-Bruce
Yes. With reservations. I do believe their are better sailboats for ocean storms, but not a better boat to trailer a 32 footer inland away from an ocean storm.

These sailboats are true trailer ready sailboats where one or two people without the help of booms or lifts, pulls the boat out of the water and drives away with a car, pickup and a boat ramp.

In answer to the question, what other ocean coastal cruiser can do that, that is affordable? Pretty short list. Hobie 33 is one, but pretty cramp below.

I have a private head, galley, private stateroom with room for a second porta-potty easily, sleeps six comfortably, will cruse about with six on deck.

I love mine, but I have never sailed in an ocean or ocean like waters. I sail in Nebraska where our largest lakes are smaller than coastal marinas.

My end cost with a wonderful trailer (6 wheel) is about 8 grand. Including transpiration, repairs, buffing. Very pleased it all went so well.

The boat seems as stiff and strong as hunters and catalinas in my slip. Where they have an advantage in the water for comfort is beam. I would love a 12 foot beam while slipped at the docks.

The aft cabin is a nice feature. Also gives a nice place to sit while operating the boat under sail. I like sitting up high for visibility. I sometimes stand on the aft cabin and steer with a foot on the wheel as I lean on the mizzen mast. Sweet!!!!!

Would I purchase it again, if I had to do it over? In a New York minute! Wonderful sailboat!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6h54u64.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	45371   Click image for larger version

Name:	6i6rir10l.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	45372  

Name:	4568i8ii648.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	45374   Click image for larger version

Name:	tjhryijktue97989.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	45375  

Old 21-08-2012, 20:19   #100

Quote:
Yes. With reservations. I do believe their are better sailboats for ocean storms, but not a better boat to trailer a 32 footer inland away from a ocean storm.
Thanks, An 8' beam is a bit small, but I suppose it had to be in order to be pulled on a trailer over the roadways.
I hadn't planned on moving it on a trailer though.
-Bruce
Old 21-08-2012, 20:22   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
Thanks, An 8' beam is a bit small, but I suppose it had to be in order to be pulled on a trailer over the roadways.
I hadn't planned on moving it on a trailer though.
-Bruce
I am guessing if this boat were made in 86 rather than 76, the beam would be 8.5 feet. Highway standards in the US got wider over the years.

Thanks for asking about CM sailboats, a favorite subject of mine!

Winter project is adding a Bow Spirit, Roller Furling, and changing the foresail rigging to a cutter style arrangement. In the stern, adding a sugar scoop to protect the rudder from crashes at the dock, and fuel dock, not so far away from my slip. The sugar scoop will change the length to 36 feet or so, not counting the bow pulpit, which will get her to 40 feet. Bring the looks to something along the lines of this plus a sugar scoop.

My lake is known for light winds, so I will be increasing the total sail area to look for more wind.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	647u648.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	45376  
Old 21-08-2012, 20:41   #102

Quote:
Bring the looks to something along the lines of this.
Ah, NICE! What is a "Sugar Scoop?"
-Bruce
Old 21-08-2012, 20:48   #103

The stern looks somewhat like an old fashioned sugar scoop in a bulk container at a grocery store. The work in progress pic will be a little like mine, as my rudder is going to be a part of it. These sterns are an easy way to get in the boat from the water, or from a slip. I will build steps up each side of the rudder.

As a trailerable sailboat, I want to make it easy to board from a trailer, so it will be as user friendly as a 5th wheel camper at a state park. For times we do not want to put her in the water, she will be just as comfortable on dry land.

Old 21-08-2012, 20:56   #104

OK, Thanks for that info Gary. Looks like an ambitious undertaking.
-Bruce
Old 21-08-2012, 21:31   #105