Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2010, 14:36   #76

Those holes are to pin the keel down while sailing. Most CM skippers fill them in and do not pin them. They also use a foam pool toy called a noodle to stuff in front of the keel while down so just what happen to you does not happen. Just so you know if you do not have keel pins you should keep some tension on the cable or better yet use rope.

Dan
Skipper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 04:30   #77

to the CM 26 owners with keel problems

I am not familiar with the specifics of the CM26 but assume that you both have explored the internet unsucessfully for your questions. Most swing keel trunks only have an opening for the swing pin. Thus I would assume that someone placed some other device onto it and later covered over the hole. I have seen a boat design though that had a shive mounted aft and high up on the trunk for lifting the keel. This gave a better leverage point. With the stuck one, good luck and just cringe as you try to repair. This is the most comon problem with swing keels and most people I know just leave them down forever when this happens. Doesn't help with trailering thuough. Put your boat on jack stands or some other way of raising it. Make sure it is over soft ground and only high enough for the keel to clear. Next remove the keel pin. If you have access to the top of the trunk, you can now try to clear whatever is in the trunk with your keel. If you have to come from the bottom then make sure the keel will not hit you when it finally frees. It is a lot of hard work buit go slowly so as not to damage the trunk. Once the keel lets go, clean the trunk out and don't leave anything for more critters to attach to. If it is the pin that is the problem then pry do not slegde it out. I don't envey you the work. My best.
doslocos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 07:15   #78

Boat: Clipper Marine 26 "
Dear Locos,
Muchas Gracias.
john sanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 13:20   #79

Clipper Marine Refurbishment

Hello my fellow intrepid Clipper Marine owners. In August of 2009 I bought a Clipper Marine 21 and begin my adventure as a sailboat owner. During the winter of 2009/2010 I refurbished the boat which had been neglected for years. In March of 2010 the boat came out of dry dock and started service. Probably, the 1st time the boat had been used in twenty years.
I documented the entire process and I invite anyone interested to read about it on my blog. I would publish it here but I there is some language which sensitive types might fine offensive. However, it is necessary to put the story in context and I believe instills the account with realism.
Anyone interested can read the story of the “Flying Fish” on my blog. Just put in the following address: http://budgetoutdooradventurer.blogspot.com. The complete story starts on blog date, Tuesday December 21st, 2010. Please feel free to provide feedback or ask questions on the process. I hope the conical is both entertaining and informative.
Tagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 13:23   #80

I believe I may be of some help. I spent 4 month rebuilding my Clipper Marine 21. At this point I feel I know pretty much everything (at least about my boat).
Tagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 17:43   #81

Boat: cm 30
Re: Clipper Marine ?

Romani says fix it beef it up modify have vision make it yours endless possibilities I have taken my cm30 to Hawaii all over mex lake of the woods 120 miles out the Atlanti rich kids my vans are awsome If it floats sail it.
romani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 18:00   #82

Boat: cm 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausont View Post
Ok - now I get to really show my ignorance
In looking for a project sailboat I have come across a number of Clipper Marine sailboats. I am completely unfamiliar with these and have not looked at one in person, nor have I ever heard any one talk about them. The ones that I have seen advertised all had a relatively low price on them and at that seem to sit on the market for quite a while. I assume that "you get what you pay for" applies here.
My question: Does anyone have any experience or know much about the Clipper Marine boats?
Thanks

The boats were over built some one is full of it.
romani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 20:08   #83

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch

Very interesting thread. I have looked at several boats in the 30 to 32 foot in length category, and out of all of them, I keep coming back to the Clipper Marine design. I like the cost, I like the looks of the boat on the water, and I like the aft berth in the 32. Problem is, finding one in reasonable condition in my area.

I really like the idea of a sail drive in its own compartment. Seems like a perfect design. Out of the way, out of eyesight (who likes the look of a kicker engine on a sailboat?) and right there when you need it.

\My goal, is finding a 32 Ketch to work on for next sailing season. I would also think about a CM30.

I cannot figure out why some folks think MacGregors and Clipper Marine are not good sailboats? Seems the only problem child's are the ones that have been neglected and then tried to be revived. That is a problem with most any sailboat.
GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 23:11   #84

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Well for starters the hull to deck joint on both are pop-rivited together. I owned a McGreger so I know. Now do you think if they take that short cut that the rest of the boat is top-notch?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:30   #85

I found a clean one. On a galvanized four wheel trailer. Four sails good rigging and good to go. I am going to use her for a small lake in Nebraska. Hopefully the rivets do not fall out. Funny most bridges and car frames are rivets construction as well as most all high rise buildings.

I also own a macgregor sailboat. Pretty easy to replace a failed rivet. No big deal so far.
Old 03-12-2011, 20:33   #86

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

...then go for it
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 21:32   #87

Done Deal. Means a road trip when Canada thaws out!

Old 05-12-2011, 00:43   #88

Just reread each post again, and again I say, interesting thread. Clipper Marine owners, lets keep this thread going and please post images of your boats. Here is one of mine, waiting for me up in Canada.

Old 22-12-2011, 14:23   #89

Update! I have a slip! With the down economy, or who knows why, a 8 year waiting list shortened to 3 months!

Old 30-12-2011, 00:16   #90

New web site on Clipper Marine sailboats. www.clippermarine.org. It has a database on CM's that will be filled in by boat owners and a forum. Check it out if you own a Clipper Marine.