Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2005, 22:49   #1

Nantucket clipper

Hello all,

I have been given the oportunity to buy a 1979 nantucket clipper. she is a yawl rig. I would like any input on these boats that you all may have. Like my catalina 30 I will be useing her for extensive offshore cruising. Please let me know what you think.
Cheers
D
Old 06-08-2005, 22:49   #2

Opps, forgot to say shes 31.8 feet LOA, Full keel.
Old 10-08-2005, 17:33   #3

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Do you know who manufactured the vessel? Offshore Yachts of the UK manufactured several very sturdy boats, only one of which the company shipped to North America, the one they sold over here was called the same as you have described your vessel.
We owned one of their smaller boats and were extremely pleased. Since we were going to move aboard full time, we decided to get something larger than 23 feet.
Let me know if this boat you are considering was indeed from the UK. Then I can point you in the right direction for some information regarding these boats.
Cheers
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 22:47   #4

Yes, she was built by offshore yachts, Any info you can give me would be fantastic! These are very dificult boats to find info on.
Cheers
D
Old 11-08-2005, 15:37   #5

To get information regarding out Halcyon 23 another of Offshore Yachts boats we went to the website. We looked through available articles , then we emailed them. Someone gave us archived articles that related to our boat. They were helpful in the extreme. I can only assume they would assist you as well. In fact did point someone else on Lake Ontario to them and they received much help as well.
I will post the website link here, please note, when I tried to access the link with Mozilla I had trouble, but Internet explorer experienced no difficulty.

http://www.oycoa.org.uk/

On their website there is an archive section, you can check through it for articles pertaining to the Nantucket Clipper. They date back as far as 1973.
Offshore Yachts burned to the ground, ( sorry I forget the date) and never went back into production. After visiting the UK I realized there were many of these boats in great condition being saled all over the place.
I hope this is of some help. I will try to
access some more information for you.
Cheers
Witchcraft
Old 11-08-2005, 15:40   #6

Also note on the oycoa website there is a heading that says Offshore Yacht boat list, there is a some information there about the Nantucket Clipper.
Check out the membership list, you may be able to contact someone who has a clipper and get info from them.
Cheers
Witchcraft

Tags
nantucket