Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2017, 19:17   #136

Re: Clipper Marine ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch K View Post
Tybee Girl,
The winch and cable replacement is not hard. However, you need to be able to lower the keel down and support it while you replace the cable. I did that exact job just a few months ago. I replaced the winch with one made by Dayton, and the cable I picked up locally. The winch is Dayton model 12U370 800lb rated. They are current production and can be had on ebay for about $50.00. Fortunately I have access to a swaging tool, and all I had to do was pick up the appropriate tin plated copper swages and a replacement thimble that goes through the hole in the keel. You can use stainless steel cable clamps, but use three for full rated strength. Depending on which model and year, determines how much room you have up in the keel trunk. My CM26 is a 1975, and it has a different keel winch configuration than earlier models. Actually, mine is build 999 out of approx. 1030 made. There is a couple of face book groups for our boats as well as the Trailer Sailor group that has a lot of info on our boats. I posted most of what I did to my 26 over on the Trailer Sailor. Check it out if you get a chance. Also, if you send me a private I will be glad to share any info I have learned on our boats.

Mitch

Thanks so much Mitch. I was reading earlier about the plates and clamps and how over time the water makes them expand and it sounds like that's exactly what happened with mine. It seems to function well enough but the whole thing is suspect and I think it's time to get it shored up properly. When I bought my clipper, the thimble you reference was missing and the previous owner had it jury rigged. We do have a great boat yard here on Wilmington Island so I will probably let the retired navy sailors handle it & leave it to the professionals. I understand just enough to be dangerous! Thanks again for the advice.
Tybee Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 20:20   #137

Boat: 1975 Clipper Marine Mk26

Tybee Girl,
Great that you have a boat yard close to you. The closest boat yard to me is a couple of hundred miles, so I have to do myself. The original winch in mine was serviceable, but I wanted a winch that I could put the keel in any position, and remove the handle and it would stay where I put it. The dayton does a good job.

As I mentioned earlier, there are a couple of good facebook groups dedicated to our brand of boats. One is called Clipper Marine, and the Other is Clipper Marine Sailing. They are a great bunch of folks! Please feel free and drop by. If I can help in any way, please do not hesitate to ask.

Mitch
Mitch K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 16:03   #138

So, this is about the only decent group I’ve found...

Hello folks,
I am currently looking at a 1976 CM 33, the ketch, with the aft cabin.
I am a novice sailor, hoping to make it a liveaboard with my young lady. We intend to use it to save up money to buy a true blue water craft while learning boat maintenance/repair/sailing.
I’ve now read your intire forum and I must say, it is the only one of its kind in the English language that I’ve found. It has been way more helpful than the Facebook group, and it’s still active!

So a bit about the boat I’m looking to buy.
Newer ports, (last year)
New bottom paint (2016)
New rigging (2016)
New thru ports (2012)
New sails/ sail covers (2016)
Engine seems to have low oil pressure, but runs well.
(Anyone have any ideas?)
From pictures it looks good, I’m going to see it in the next few days. I’ll post them here in a follow up.

Asking price 2500.
What do y’all think? What do you know about this year/model? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC52E352-DFDE-451A-9F42-F768D840AC48.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	173037  
Matthew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 22:41   #139

Re: So, this is about the only decent group I’ve found...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew G View Post
Hello folks,
I am currently looking at a 1976 CM 33, the ketch, with the aft cabin.
I am a novice sailor, hoping to make it a liveaboard with my young lady. We intend to use it to save up money to buy a true blue water craft while learning boat maintenance/repair/sailing.
<-------->
Asking price 2500.
What do y’all think? What do you know about this year/model? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
The $2500. asking price seems real reasonable. The low oil pressure sounds worrisome, but it's possible that's normal for the type of engine it is? BTW, you didn't mention what engine it is.
I'm inclined to recommend you have a survey done before you plunk your money down. Just my two cents.

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 23:22   #140

When I said looking at, I should have said “messaging owner” and “looking at pictures.”
That’s my mistake.
Sadly, like many people looking at an inexpensive boat, a survey @700 is a bit beyond my means at the moment.
I have enough to buy transport and pay for first month of marina, with a small slush fund for unexpected this and that.
I’ve been using the website Marine Surveyor, Port Credit Marine Surveys, Toronto, Ontario for their EXCELLENT pre survey buyer inspection advice. If you’ve never been to that website you must, the author is wicked.

As for hands on, that’s in four days, so I’m madly prepping my amateur survey skills. There are several ho/no go points that even a tyro like myself can see when told when/where/how to look. Great site!

But it’s kinda general, so I came here to talk to USERS and find out if there are any common problems I should keep my eyes peeled for!
Old 04-07-2018, 23:26   #141

I should have said, “looking and messaging” haven’t seen the boat in person, and won’t until Sunday.

I’ve been using Pcmarinesurveys.com ‘s excellent presale owner walk around survey to prep for my hands on day.
Great and informative site but necessarily general.....
..... so I came here, to talk to actual USERS about any problem they’ve experienced/common fail points.

Hope that helps. I’ll have more info Sunday!
Old 07-11-2018, 11:09   #142

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

Wow This post has run for 11 years now. Sadly my health is forcing me to put my Clipper Marine up for sale. This has been a great boat. I have sailed the Sacramento Delta and a couple of bays in her, including SF Bay. She has been a delight. Anyone looking for a fun, easy to sail inexpensive boat should not dismiss these CM's. All of the problems discussed on this thread about these boats are problems that I have not encountered. I have single handed my 32 for a number of years now and with the exception of sticking her nose in the mud once, I have not had one problem. After 48 years she is still a very sound boat.
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 02:41   #143

I don't know much about boats myself but I have one and will sell it for $3000 obo
Sspun9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 15:50   #144

Boat: Miller Marine 29
Send a message via Skype™ to BasBass

I've sailed a Clipper 30, and as slow as it is, it's sturdy as hell. No delamination, deck feels firm, apparently the company used a lot of fiberglass to make these. The Yanmar diesel has a reputation for being indestructable, and is very economic. Rigging is good enough for rivers and lakes (Calif. Delta), and the keel heavy enough to keep the boat in balance even with a good wind. I'm pretty sure if I would ram a Catalina the Clipper wouldn't have a scratch, while the people on the Catalina need to climb on my boat to survive. But to each their own.
BasBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 16:09   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasBass View Post
I've sailed a Clipper 30, and as slow as it is, it's sturdy as hell. No delamination, deck feels firm, apparently the company used a lot of fiberglass to make these. The Yanmar diesel has a reputation for being indestructable, and is very economic. Rigging is good enough for rivers and lakes (Calif. Delta), and the keel heavy enough to keep the boat in balance even with a good wind. I'm pretty sure if I would ram a Catalina the Clipper wouldn't have a scratch, while the people on the Catalina need to climb on my boat to survive. But to each their own.
That sounds like a drastic way to test for durability?

Old 26-04-2020, 19:32   #146

Boat: Miller Marine 29
Send a message via Skype™ to BasBass
Talking Re: Clipper Marine ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
That sounds like a drastic way to test for durability?
It's a historically proven method ;-)
BasBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 19:39   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasBass View Post
It's a historically proven method ;-)
Instead of ramming speed, it's hulling speed?