Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 07:44   #1

Cherubini Yachts

I was admiring the Cherubini 44 in Ferenc Mate' s book, "The World's Best Sailboats". I live in Philadelphia and saw that their yard was in nearby Riverside, New Jersey. As it turns out, they are still in business. The yard is run by Frit's son Lee and his cousin Dave. Along with the 44 and 48 ft sloops, they build a 20 ft and 24 ft runabout. They also do refits and allow owners to rent yard space and work on their boats there. I am considering a boat to cruise extensively on and was taken with this handmade custom beauty. There is an older 44 for sale for $260k at the yard. Does anyone have any experience with or sailed on these boats. I am impressed with the looks and craftsmanship of the yacht. I didn't know there were any custom builders still working in the mid atlantic states.
Seven Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:27   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Cherubini Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven Seas View Post
I was admiring the Cherubini 44 in Ferenc Mate' s book, "The World's Best Sailboats". I live in Philadelphia and saw that their yard was in nearby Riverside, New Jersey. As it turns out, they are still in business. The yard is run by Frit's son Lee and his cousin Dave. Along with the 44 and 48 ft sloops, they build a 20 ft and 24 ft runabout. They also do refits and allow owners to rent yard space and work on their boats there. I am considering a boat to cruise extensively on and was taken with this handmade custom beauty. There is an older 44 for sale for $260k at the yard. Does anyone have any experience with or sailed on these boats. I am impressed with the looks and craftsmanship of the yacht. I didn't know there were any custom builders still working in the mid atlantic states.
I have some experiance with the 44..sailed from Haiti to Jamaica when I was a kid(17) in 1983,with a botanist to collect rare Orcids(had permit) the boat was a loner from a friend of the botanist and it was a dream boat..the finest boat I have ever seen.Lots of cool original touches and a fit and finish you will never see on a productin boat.If you can afford the cost you wont regreat buying one,,I think Lee has a boat under construction at this time and it is for sale for a cool 1 million dollars..if its like the earler ones should be worth every penny..I will have to get the book you refer to as I have heard about it twice now..good luck with your endeviour looking for the "perfect sailboat"...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:33   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Welcome to the forum Seven Seas (I cant believe that name was still available on a cruisers forum with 60,000+ members)

Paragraph 4 is very interesting indeed?
Cherubini 44 ketch classic design lines
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Seven Seas.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 20:09   #5

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Welcome to the forum Seven Seas (I cant believe that name was still available on a cruisers forum with 60,000+ members)

Paragraph 4 is very interesting indeed?
Cherubini 44 ketch classic design lines
Just reading makes me want one, they look like a terrific vessel, the pouring of molten lead in one of the pic sets is kinda freaky though, they give an explanation on it to clarify.
Regards from Jeff.
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 21:04   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

A beautiful boat. I love the schooner version. How about those opening vents.
I keep the book on the night table, alongside my bed.
Old 15-10-2011, 22:30   #7

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

Anyone know anything about starting a boat yard?

Some part of me really would like to build boats for a living. (It's the part that's totally crazy, and I keep highly suppressed!)
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 01:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post

Some part of me really would like to build boats for a living. (It's the part that's totally crazy, and I keep highly suppressed!)
Yeah, you can make a small fortune....................

Seriously, I do have one........ but the doors are shut at the moment & I'm working for the Government doing some resto/museum work. Its a great time to buy..............

Regards from Jeff.
Old 16-10-2011, 03:02   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by waikikin View Post
Yeah, you can make a small fortune....................

Seriously, I do have one........ but the doors are shut at the moment & I'm working for the Government doing some resto/museum work. Its a great time to buy..............

Regards from Jeff.
So thats it...just leave us hanging like that....come on Jeff....details on the resto mate?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 07:33   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by waikikin View Post
Yeah, you can make a small fortune.....................
Particularly if you start with a large one....
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 08:21   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post

It is a lot like building airplanes if you want a million dollars start with two and when your finished if you were good at it you will still have 1 million..glorified hobbys never pay off ...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 09:03   #12

Boat: Cabo Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
.glorified hobbys never pay off ...DVC
What he said
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 22:21   #13

keep it suppressed, impractical if not crazy. Has to be a horrible time to start a new business, especially one based on disposable income. Do you have any idea of the costs associated with building a boat, especially if you need molds. Banks aren't exactly handing out small business loans. The old joke goes "how do you make a small fortune making boats (or planes), start with a large one". If you've inherited a ton of money and are willing to loose it, by all means go ahead. The Cherubini's have been doing it for 2 generations, are highly talented and experienced. Not to mention that building a quality boat takes long hours, hard work and is one of the most difficult jobs I've ever come across.
Seven Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 04:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
So thats it...just leave us hanging like that....come on Jeff....details on the resto mate?
They're like...... never ending stories of rolling refits for the last few years I've been at SHF & ANMM on James Craig, Bareki, John Louis, MB 172, Bark Endeavour replica rerig, currently on Krait(WW2 Z Force Raider).
U can C some at my gallery @ Boatdesign.net waikikin Gallery - Boat Design Net Gallery

Regards from Jeff.
Old 17-10-2011, 04:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven Seas View Post
keep it suppressed, impractical if not crazy. Has to be a horrible time to start a new business, especially one based on disposable income. Do you have any idea of the costs associated with building a boat, especially if you need molds. Banks aren't exactly handing out small business loans. The old joke goes "how do you make a small fortune making boats (or planes), start with a large one". If you've inherited a ton of money and are willing to loose it, by all means go ahead. The Cherubini's have been doing it for 2 generations, are highly talented and experienced. Not to mention that building a quality boat takes long hours, hard work and is one of the most difficult jobs I've ever come across.
I some what agree & not, I've been involved with the marine industry for 30+ years, in that time I've witnessed quite a few receivers sales......... never my own. The first I ever saw was in the 80's & I suppose I was shocked, that business owners could dig such massive finacial holes... & some seemed to be completely unperturbed by never paying back their creditors, certainly opened my eyes! As such, I've never borrowed more than I could pay off on an ordinary Shipwrights wage, certainly not the road to massive wealth but lets you sleep fine at night. This trade has bought land, built a home for my family, built tooling, puchaced machinery, bought industrial land & shed(slightly unfinished) set up for semi custom composite vessel construction & repair, at the moment this sits idle protecting my tooling & machinery, currently it's heaps easier to simply have a job.
To any one interested in the industry, get a job, even as a yardy to see if it suits & look around to see where you might fit. If you want to have a go & believe thats what ya want, just do it, but do it well,the marine industry is a valid one but you need to be the right person to persevere.

Regards from Jeff.