Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2012, 22:02   #1

Small Boats With Two Cabins

My wife and I are looking for a sailboat for cruising from North Carolina to the Florida Keys and the Bahamas. This will be our first sailboat and comfort is important (I am 6'2"). We have a 9 year old son and would like a boat with two separate cabins. The Allmand 31 seems to be the only one we can find. Does anyone have suggestions for other boats to look at? Anyone have advice on sailing with a 9 year old? Thanks.
cld3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 03:28   #2

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Small boats with two cabins

Keep him active on the boat! else he will become board very quickly. He is certainly big enough to Helm the boat. And will pick it up faster than a grown up. Give him watch time at the helm and get him involved in the whole running of the boat. He will feel important at the helm and will quickly understand the importance of every job including Logs etc.

Just about any cruising boat with a semi decent quarter berth would suit him. Assuming you take the V. .
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 03:54   #3

Boat: Sabre 425, 42 ft

Look at a used Sabre. 38 or 42 feet.
I am 6'3" and had a hard time finding a boat with a comfortable berth.
With the 425 you have two berths big enough for two couples and a great pull out setee. You could sleep in either cabin with son in other cabin. He could then move to salon when you get the inevitable guest.
But then there are other less expensive boats -- former charter Beneteaus that would work too. Look at the 437 or 461.
BoxerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 03:58   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Well, I can suggest a Grampian 34. The centre-cockpit ketch version has a full aft cabin. Also has a sizeable V-berth. In addition, the main cabin has 7' of headroom, with 6' 6" throughout the rest. It is a very comfortable, stable and solid cruiser.

Oh ya, and I happen to be selling one .

www.elysian.ca
Old 19-04-2012, 04:09   #5

The older S2 Center Cockpits have rear cabins. Yachtworld shows one for sale in Oriental, NC. It was a 36 footer, I believe.
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 04:30   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cld3316 View Post
Anyone have advice on sailing with a 9 year old? Thanks.
Sailing and sitting on the boat will be kinda boring. Trust me, I once was that 9 yo .

The secret is doing stuff ashore (beach and inland) and in the water. Other kids around is also a plus. and nowadays probably some internet .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 04:33   #7

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I see you have one post so far. Welcome to the forum!

One post also means you wondered in half lost as you search the Internet looking for boats and wondered back out again. The odds of you coming back here again to read any of this would be like winning the lottery, twice with the same numbers. Lol

By chance you do come back,

What is your budget?

How much time a year do you plan on using the boat?

Do you want to be able to trailer the boat yourself without permits and such?

Tight budget, three weeks a year and trailer sailor would lean you towards a Clipper Marine 32 Aft Cabin Ketch or a Halsted 31. These were made around 1976 and clean ones ready to sail are around ten grand , if you can find one.

I own two CM32's one being an Aft Cabin I am just now blowing the cob webs out of after being on the trailer three years.

They are great looking boats that have a 3.8' draft, 8' beam, and 6' head room in the main cabin. Aft cabin adults can sit up straight on the two births. Plenty of room in the aft cabin for a separate port a potty.

Main cabin has a v birth, dining area that sleeps two, large fold away kitchen table, head with shower (option on the shower) and full galley.

Center cockpit has Edson helm steering and is easy to put all controlls to cockpit.

They came usually with a yanmar diesel engine but a sail drive gas engine models were also available.

My wife will sell you mine after I am long dead, and not before. I paid four grand for mine with great condition three axle trailer you can pull with any truck.

My web site for the boat is www,clippermarine.org.

wee.clippermarine.org
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2263599038.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	40138   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4083991878.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	40139  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3948960099.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	40140   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-176886131.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	40141  

Old 19-04-2012, 05:06   #8

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Oops

www.clippermarine.org
Old 19-04-2012, 08:03   #9

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Small Boats With Two Cabins

Many Bavarias and Benes (etc) have 2 aft cabins plus 1 in the fore in their 34-36 range. 3 cabins and the saloon / kitchen make for a lot of living space and offer privacy when needed.

As for your kid then have him participate in whatever you are doing (to the right extent). When in the islands - make trips, when anchored - go snorkelling. Use the surroundings to educate him - there will be physics, nature, languages - plenty education for any young (and not only young) person.

You known there are people who love boats and outdoor & others who do not. You will know which type he is after your first extended cruise. So just take it easy and have fun sailing.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 08:25   #10

Thanks for the replies so far. A little more information...we are looking at the boat as an alternative to our usual trips to Central and South America and are looking for something reasonable (commence laughing now) that will allow us to see if this is something we will be interested in doing long term. Ideally, we would like to get a boat 'ready to go' for under $20k. Our plan is to spend the summer on the boat, dock it for several months and then head back out for several months in the late fall/winter.

It definitely feels a bit impulsive to buy a boat but our alternative is to spend that time traveling for a couple months in other countries - we have a lot of experience doing that including dragging our son along since he joined the family - so we are used to traveling for extended periods without all the comforts of home. We have a friend who is a certified captain and instructor who will teach us to sail it but expect to take our time venturing out slowly and learning the boat. We have a place to dock it in South Florida so leaving it for a couple months shouldn't be a problem. The biggest problem seems to be our eagerness to find a boat and we don't want to make a huge mistake. Thanks again for everyone who has chimed in so far.
cld3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 08:49   #11

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Wonderful idea...and kids generally love sailing...especially 9 yo boys...I took my grandsons sailing at about that age and they loved it !!!!...I just heard of a boat that might work for you....a 33 foot 1980s Hunter...its in great condition, reportedly a wonderful interior as well and at the right price and in South FLA right now w/an owner that is motivated to sell... PM me and I will give you the contact phone number...the price is amazingly reasonable... in any event your's is a practical and worthwhile dream....go for it
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 08:56   #12

The older S2's had a center cockpit version all the way down to a 30 footer! The Allmand would be a great choice for what you want to do though, nice shallow draft and I dont know if there is another 31 footer that is so roomy.
I saw an Almand advertised on the east coast somewhere recently (NC?) that had been prepared by the owner for a Bahamas cruise, but he had a change of plans.... it was well under 20K. and loaded....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 09:04   #13

I believe you will find the right boat. The market is low and there are opportunities.

Avoid boats that need a lot of work to get going, look for something sturdy, basic, but sound and ready to go.

You may not get those separate cabins but then again if it is just the three of you then maybe you can start up with a boat that has a more common cabin-less layout. Separate cabins are quite a 'recent' thing in smaller boats. Maybe if you skip the cabins part the range of opportunities opens up?

It may also be a good idea to look towards boats that are the tool for the job at hand: you do not need an out-and-out ocean going craft if all you want to do is to potter along to Bahamas, West Indies and the Caribbean Sea. Sure, the better the boat, the easier the voyage, but once you get out there and find how people cruise it becomes clear there are very many ways to sail happily.

Just my 2 eurocents. Good luck in your adventure and let us know how of your progress.

barnakiel
Old 19-04-2012, 16:21   #14

These people sailed a small inexpensive boat to places.

KAYLA'S OPUS WEBSITE

Look it up: a small boat, a big adventure and the three of them: dad, mom, the kid (ooops! and the dog! = four ;-)

Regards,
b.
Old 20-04-2012, 17:20   #15

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Look at Caliber 33's. Quarterberth can be closed off from main cabin. 4'6" draft is good for Bahamas and excellent ventilation
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote