Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-12-2019, 21:59   #2056
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Olaf, not faulting or picking on you as it is an innocent sharing of info found....

I only brought it up as Wottie did because we know that the OPs have shared a lot, but in the past, declined to share videos explaining to the efffect.. we are kind of private people.

The bigger point to this is that if we discover a video about a specific member posted on Social Media,
.....before posting it on their CF thread, perhaps a PM to them asking for permission would be nice.

That's what I would appreciate from a fellow member.

Agreed...it is a nice boat [emoji106]
This sums it up nicely and let me add one extra point.

Some make an argument that if you have nothing to hide, it's OK for it to be made public.

This either a post hoc or a non sequitur or a simply false argument, one's degree of privacy and reasons is also a private matter and not for others to decide.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 07:52   #2057

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Those solar panels are massive! Any concern about the windage on them?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 08:11   #2058

Once upon a time, I was reading a very back issue of a publication, and came across a very interesting article about a boat owned by a current CF poster. I was amazed that the article was about the member's boat, as well as the content of the article, so I posted the information in a related discussion. Long story short, the information in the article shared more personal information that the owner wished, so I got the post deleted.

No harm, no foul.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 08:25   #2059

It's called the internet. If you post something on it, anyone can see it. People these days and their GD double standards!

Get over it.
Old 23-12-2019, 08:46   #2060

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Hi everyone
Thanks for the concern. It is appreciated, as we are a fairly private couple.

KM commissioned the video with our permission and posting a link to the video is fine.

I have been meaning to give some feedback on how the boat has been functioning, but we have been too busy sailing. “Fantastic” is the best summary, but I will elaborate later.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 10:00   #2061

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Those solar panels are massive! Any concern about the windage on them?
We tried to have the solar arch designed to be as aerodynamic as possible. For example, the arch supports have a proper tapered, streamlined aerodynamic profile rather than a simple round section. I suspect most boatbuilders would balk at producing this type of shape in aluminium, but the welders at KM made it look easy.

The end result has, I suspect, significantly lower drag than a typical bimini with its multiple supports, flapping canvas, brackets, wires etc.

We have avoided other forms of drag. For example, there is no wind generator and the dinghy outboard sits neatly below deck in one of the lockers, rather than sitting on the stern rail.

Anyway, the ability to fit a large solar array of the most reliable rigid panels, has been excellent. They provide all (or virtually all) our power and combined with an energy efficient boat this has been sufficient even cruising areas with very poor solar insolation.

This photo taken during construction gives some idea of the low and streamlined frontal area of the arch:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76B07F44-998E-4E3F-B779-FF8D17147659.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	205569  
Old 23-12-2019, 10:14   #2062

Yes- I can see how low and streamlined it sits. I'm sure it is equally as robust.
Old 23-12-2019, 10:41   #2063

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is another photo showing the tapered profile and the beautiful workmanship KM put into the arch:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	90A0151B-446D-4A9D-905A-FBE29B7A27BA.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	205575  
Old 29-12-2019, 23:38   #2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
We tried to have the solar arch designed to be as aerodynamic as possible. For example, the arch supports have a proper tapered, streamlined aerodynamic profile rather than a simple round section. I suspect most boatbuilders would balk at producing this type of shape in aluminium, but the welders at KM made it look easy.

The end result has, I suspect, significantly lower drag than a typical bimini with its multiple supports, flapping canvas, brackets, wires etc.

We have avoided other forms of drag. For example, there is no wind generator and the dinghy outboard sits neatly below deck in one of the lockers, rather than sitting on the stern rail.

Anyway, the ability to fit a large solar array of the most reliable rigid panels, has been excellent. They provide all (or virtually all) our power and combined with an energy efficient boat this has been sufficient even cruising areas with very poor solar insolation.

This photo taken during construction gives some idea of the low and streamlined frontal area of the arch:
noelex what brand of solar panels did you get?
simonhantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 01:09   #2065

Cruisers Forum Supporter

They are 3x Sunpower X21 335w rigid panels. Nowadays even slightly higher power X22 panels are available for the same size.

I have been very impressed. Solar has provided virtually all our electric power on our yachts going back 30 years. This includes over a decade living full time on board so we are accustomed to the output available in various conditions. This latest installation does better than I expected, especially in poor conditions.

Most of this is due to a very shade free location. The solar arch is a long way from the mast and boom and we avoided installing any aerials, wind generators etc that project above the panels. Even the GPS compass and AIS GPS antennae that are installed on the front edge of the solar arch, were carefully installed with brackets that allows the top aerial to be exactly the same height as the top of the solar panel. This gives the GPS units a view of all the satellites, but even with the sun horizontal there is no shadow. Shadows are more of a problem when the sun angle is low so if you want to cruise areas of poor solar insolation choosing a location as free as possible from shadowing is important.

However, the Sunpower panels are claimed to output more power in low light conditions. I suspect this is only a small factor and I cannot do any direct comparisons with other panels. I can only comment how well the total installation is performing. I have noticed that the panels are very conservatively rated. You can see below a single panel producing 355w and I have seen even higher peaks. This is well above the rated output even after some inevitable losses from wiring etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F50EEF5C-B039-4A56-A28F-55C46443B315.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	205896  
Old 31-12-2019, 14:25   #2066

Quote:
They are 3x Sunpower X21 335w rigid panels. Nowadays even slightly higher power X22 panels are available for the same size.

I have been very impressed. Solar has provided virtually all our electric power on our yachts going back 30 years. This includes over a decade living full time on board so we are accustomed to the output available in various conditions. This latest installation does better than I expected, especially in poor conditions.

Most of this is due to a very shade free location. The solar arch is a long way from the mast and boom and we avoided installing any aerials, wind generators etc that project above the panels. Even the GPS compass and AIS GPS antennae that are installed on the front edge of the solar arch, were carefully installed with brackets that allows the top aerial to be exactly the same height as the top of the solar panel. This gives the GPS units a view of all the satellites, but even with the sun horizontal there is no shadow. Shadows are more of a problem when the sun angle is low so if you want to cruise areas of poor solar insolation choosing a location as free as possible from shadowing is important.

However, the Sunpower panels are claimed to output more power in low light conditions. I suspect this is only a small factor and I cannot do any direct comparisons with other panels. I can only comment how well the total installation is performing. I have noticed that the panels are very conservatively rated. You can see below a single panel producing 355w and I have seen even higher peaks. This is well above the rated output even after some inevitable losses from wiring etc.
👍 I like the sound of SunPower. I see they do a black surface as opposed to regular and it’s 345W vs 335W, any idea if they’re superior? Doesn’t seem to be anyone in NZ selling them with a good website to get some info from, like prices etc.
simonhantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:06   #2067

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonhantler View Post
�� I like the sound of SunPower. I see they do a black surface as opposed to regular and it’s 345W vs 335W, any idea if they’re superior? Doesn’t seem to be anyone in NZ selling them with a good website to get some info from, like prices etc.
Black surface means monochrystalline cells, blue polychrystalline. Monochrystalline being more efficient.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:20   #2068

Cruisers Forum Supporter

All the Sunpower panels are monocrystalline. The black is a separate treatment just for cosmetic purposes (the panels are large so can be visually dominating). It does not alter any of the specifications. If anything, by slightly heating up the panels the performance will be worse, but the difference is likely to be very small.

The Sunpower panels can be very difficult to obtain, as in some countries they are only sold to professional installers. Because of this I ordered the panels with the help of another Cruisers Forum member (this forum is great) who kindly ordered them on my behalf, as the Sunpower dealer would only sell to residents of particular countries . I won’t mention the member’s name as he may be inundated with PMs requesting the same favour, but I thank him.

KM were great and were happy to allow owners to order equipment. They even stored the panels at the factory and allowed my wife and I to fit the panels ourselves, out of hours. I am sure this was an inconvenience for the factory, but it allowed the boat to be ready to go on launch day and saved us trying to manoeuvre the large panels outside in the wind.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:51   #2069
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:

The Sunpower panels can be very difficult to obtain, as in some countries they are only sold to professional installers.
When I purchased my 4x 327w Sunpower panels a few years ago, it was the same problem and initially it was the Florida supplier of Steve Dashews power boat who was able to deliver same Sunpower panels...but at a very high cost to my location in the Philippines.

Ironically the cells and panels were being made then right here in the Philippines, but with no retail outlets.

Eventually, with perseverance I found an Export Bonded Warehouse close to the factory that had stock and I was able to buy 4 at a greatly reduced price.

My understanding is that the Sunpower panels are now made in Mexico....
Just an idea, but perhaps someone close to that location can find a similar source.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote