Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2019, 12:39   #2041

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Our yacht has been designed primarily for function: aluminium, with minimal paint, a large pilot house and substantial solar arch, but someone once said “a cruising yacht should elicit an admiring glance and smile from their owner as they approach their home from the tender”.

OK, perhaps I am biased, but I am definitely smiling .
With the pricing on the Bestevaer Pure, it's amazing that people still buy other new boats when they could have something so beautiful

So now after wintering in the North, what are your feelings on not having pressure hot water?

Matt
Old 03-07-2019, 14:01   #2042

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
So now after wintering in the North, what are your feelings on not having pressure hot water?
Hi Matt. We love our shower .

I mix the water to 41°C, which is perfect. This time of year the hot water comes from the electric kettle via solar power, but as the sun becomes lower late in the year we transition to using the diesel Refleks heater, which has a kettle permanently on top. The propane stove or the electric kettle via the alternator is another option. With so many heating options the concept of lukewarm showers is thankfully a thing of the past.

The shower water is pressurised. In use it just like a convenional shower other than the temperature is premixed so there is no fiddling with taps to find the ideal mix. This feature also helps to save water.

Having a dedicated completely waterproof shower area is also real luxury, no concern about keeping the area dry or trying not to soak the toilet paper .

We do very few engine hours and usually spend a week at each anchorage so engine heating is of limited value. We are only very rarely plugged into shore power, which further reduces the value of a conventional calorifier.

In hot weather a swim a transom shower is ideal, but in colder weather a nice shower is one of the few things I once missed about shore life. Our new shower system removes this issue.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 14:13   #2043

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You guys did a marvelous job with all your input and planning. And, the boat looks lovely in her anchorage.

But, if I may, a cheeky question: having lived with the boat for a while now, is there anything you would have done differently, or are you solid with all of those decisions, still?

Ann
Old 04-07-2019, 03:46   #2044

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

It is a good question, Ann.

We thought very carefully about all the decisions, often for many years. Having lived on a similar sized aluminium yacht for 10 years was a big help in showing what worked for us. A custom designed boat allows the owners lots of freedom, especially on an aluminium boat where the bulkheads and internal fitout is not structural. So apart from a few requirements such as support directly under the mast, almost anything is possible.

KM were also very accommodating allowing us to have input on things such as the exact final position of the cockpit winches, dining room table, etc etc. We spent many hours on the boat while it was in the construction phase making these final judgements. It would have been much quicker for the factory just to position these items where the plans indicated (which we had already approved), but by moving these items around before installation (those big Anderson winches are heavy) we were able to optimise the position.

We also watched the build carefully and minor issues or conflicts were fixed at the early stage while they were easy to change. The build took two years so there was plenty of opportunity to inspect the process.

After a year there are still some things left to do. We elected to fit most of the electronic instruments, solar panels, etc ourselves. This necessitated KM installing large conduits (mostly aluminium tubes) throughout the boat. This is a good idea on any boat, but is especially important for our vessel, as it would be otherwise hard to feed new wiring through the three wateright bulkheads. So subsequent installations are relatively easy, but these things still take time.

There is still a second autopilot to finish fitting and a watermaker to install (our rainwater catchment system is supplying so much water this is unnecessary at the moment). Our movie and sound system needs converting to run from 24v rather than the inverter. More USB power outlets are that I have not yet installed and many other little jobs, but I enjoy doing this type of boat work.

I will try in the future to give a rundown on individual equipment that has worked especially well or that has been disappointing.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 22:12   #2045

https://youtu.be/2e80-jI86a0
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 22:20   #2046
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think if the OP had wanted a yard video.of their boat shown here on CF
They would have done it themselves!

Sometimes we have to be a bit sensitive to the privacy standards of others.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 22:51   #2047

It’s on YouTube, I thought it was a nice boat...

Can’t find a delete function.
Old 21-12-2019, 23:34   #2048
CF Adviser

That's ok just a reminder that what is on YouTube about a member, should stay on YouTube.
If they want it taken down, I'm sure the Mods will cooperate
Old 22-12-2019, 07:57   #2049

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

I don't see the issue. It's a public video on a public channel for all the world to see (I saw it because I'm subscribed to KM Yachts).

If the owner / member wants privacy they should address that concern to the yard (preferably in advance).

It's a nice boat, people want to see it.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 16:59   #2050
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
I don't see the issue. It's a public video on a public channel for all the world to see (I saw it because I'm subscribed to KM Yachts).

If the owner / member wants privacy they should address that concern to the yard (preferably in advance).

It's a nice boat, people want to see it.
It's not the privacy of the boat that needs to be considered, it's the privacy of the crew that is in question.

The youtube video is simply of a boat with people on it and there is nothing that links the boat with the identities of the owners. The above post in this thread on CF changes that and that is why I consider it to be in poor judgement.

A quick look on CF will show the crew have made in excess of 20,000 posts without ever posting pictures of themselves - maybe they have a good reason for that (or maybe not) however it isn't up to others to do so. It is just bad manners!

If I were in their shoes, I would want it removed.

FWIW, CF has a huge readership, way bigger than the number of members.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 17:48   #2051

I found it on an iPhone, couldn’t identify any faces from the video, didn’t even factor in who the crew were.
There are three people in the cockpit at times.
The giveaway was the Australian Red Ensign, there wouldn’t be many B49’s with Aussie registration...
The video is in the public domain, presumably the owners consented to this, they have been
pretty free with information over the years, as have many of us with nothing to hide.
They will be receiving email notifications of posts in this thread, and are welcome to contact the mods if they have any concerns, I can’t access a delete function on the post on this particular site.
As I said, it’s a nice boat....
Old 22-12-2019, 18:05   #2052
CF Adviser

Hi Olaf, not faulting or picking on you as it is an innocent sharing of info found....

I only brought it up as Wottie did because we know that the OPs have shared a lot, but in the past, declined to share videos explaining to the efffect.. we are kind of private people.

The bigger point to this is that if we discover a video about a specific member posted on Social Media,
.....before posting it on their CF thread, perhaps a PM to them asking for permission would be nice.

That's what I would appreciate from a fellow member.

Agreed...it is a nice boat [emoji106]
Old 22-12-2019, 18:14   #2053

As I explained, on an iPhone you can’t identify the faces of the crew.
I was just posting a public video of an Aussie registered B49 charging along, here was no question of identities, consent or anything like that.
And if this site provided a delete function it wouldn’t be there anyway.
I was playing a straight bat and letting the thing lie until I was accused of poor judgement, that deserves a reply. In my professional capacity I am very familiar with consent requirements, and consider that a personal insult.
Old 22-12-2019, 18:46   #2054

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
As I explained, on an iPhone you can’t identify the faces of the crew.
I was just posting a public video of an Aussie registered B49 charging along, here was no question of identities, consent or anything like that.
And if this site provided a delete function it wouldn’t be there anyway.
I was playing a straight bat and letting the thing lie until I was accused of poor judgement, that deserves a reply. In my professional capacity I am very familiar with consent requirements, and consider that a personal insult.
Olaf, I accept that you meant no harm in posting the youtube link and that is one of the reasons I did not respond directly to your post. I was happy to let it go though to the keeper. However another poster also thought it was OK to post it and I responded to that post.

I apologise if you took offence - it wasn't directed to you personally.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 22-12-2019, 21:37   #2055

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post

Can’t find a delete function.
Olaf, for future reference, there are two ways to delete your own post -although after 30 mins of posting, there is only one way left available.

#1 (within 30 mins of posting) - use the EDIT button, on the bottom RHS of the post. This allows you to edit your post or delete it completely.

#2 (after 30 mins of posting) - use the REPORT POST icon, the red triangle at the bottom LHS of the post; see red arrow on the attached image. This will open a dialogue box where you can make a case to have your (or anyones) post removed, investigated or whatever. Hit SEND and the reported post and your reasons will be sent to the Moderators. They will judge the merits of your argument and act accordingly.

I'm not saying you should do this, rather how you can do it should you wish to.

At least, this is what you can do if viewing the forum on a computer browser - I don't know if these functions are available from a phone app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Report Post.png
Views:	103
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	205548