Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2017, 17:38   #1306

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Their smaller drives are rebadged to Simrad DD15 (which you can find cheaper than the Jefa units. They're nice, lower power usage drives... and quiet too.

Matt
Old 01-07-2017, 17:50   #1307

Staying with the Dutch theme... What about deck hardware? Are you going Anderson for winches? Reckmann electric furler? Rinderinkhof Windlass

Edit: Dang, Reckmann is German. But then there is Vetus!

Matt
Old 02-07-2017, 04:17   #1308

Boat: Kaufman 47

What are you choosing to push the Jefa drives? Simrad AC42 or AC70? B&G? Garmin?
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:27   #1309

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
SWL, do you happen to know how much the clutch on the Jefa draws? We have a Whitlock drive, a similar design, and on a somewhat smaller unit, the clutch draws a continuous 2 amps, which is a serious energy hit for us.

Jim
Hi Jim
I had to go hunt up the figures, as it has been a couple of years since we last looked at this.

The clutch draws 0.7A @24v, which is still significant, but not too bad for such a large drive. Jefa claim to use a more efficient system with an electro-magnetic clutch and electrically operated spring loaded clutch pins. They also claim this makes the system safer for the helmsman by requiring the force to be equalised before taking over.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:36   #1310

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Staying with the Dutch theme... What about deck hardware? Are you going Anderson for winches? Reckmann electric furler? Rinderinkhof Windlass

Edit: Dang, Reckmann is German. But then there is Vetus!

Matt
Winches are Andersen (Danish again). We have 2 x 62 and 4 x 58 in the cockpit and 2 x 46 on the mast. Both with stainless steel tops.

Anchor winch is a Maxwell 4000 (New Zealand). We need plenty of grunt . Chain stopper and Devil claw are Muir (Aussie).

Both the yankee and staysail furlers will be Furlex 400 (made by Seldén, where our mast is coming from as well). Normally the staysail would be on a smaller furler, but keeping them identical means the staysail furler should be bullet proof and most of the parts will be interchangeable with the yankee furler. We drooled over the Reckmann units. In the end it was one area that cost cutting won. The price difference was just too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
What are you choosing to push the Jefa drives? Simrad AC42 or AC70? B&G? Garmin?
Undecided yet, as we are leaving instrument descisions as late as possible.

The Jefa Drives have quite low power consumption. The larger DD3 is even aproved for, and will deliver full power, on small autopilot computers like the AC12 (when operating on 24V).
I think we be tempted by the greater current reserves of the larger computer units such a the B&G AC42 or the newer but almost identical NAC-3.

SWL

Old 02-07-2017, 05:52   #1311

fwiw, the Volvo guys use NKE
packeteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:22   #1312

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Winches are Andersen (Danish again). We have 2 x 62 and 4 x 58 in the cockpit and 2 x 46 on the mast. Both with stainless steel tops.

Anchor winch is a Maxwell 4000 (New Zealand). We need plenty of grunt . Chain stopper and Devil claw are Muir (Aussie).

Both the yankee and staysail furlers will be Furlex 400 (made by Seldén, where our mast is coming from as well). Normally the staysail would be on a smaller furler, but keeping them identical means the staysail furler should be bullet proof and most of the parts will be interchangeable with the yankee furler. We drooled over the Reckmann units. In the end it was one area that cost cutting won. The price difference was just too high.

Undecided yet, as we are leaving instrument descisions as late as possible.

The Jefa Drives have quite low power consumption. The larger DD3 is even aproved for, and will deliver full power, on small autopilot computers like the AC12 (when operating on 24V).
I think we be tempted by the greater current reserves of the larger computer units such a the B&G AC42 or the newer but almost identical NAC-3.

SWL
Just FYI, Simrad/B&G AC12/42 are identical except for the power relay. If it's well within rated capacity, no need to oversize.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:24   #1313
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I think its wise to leave electronic choices to the end of the build.
Things change so very fast.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:25   #1314

Quote:
My dream set-up. Nothing like the sound of precision with those Anderson winches!!!

Matt
Old 02-07-2017, 06:45   #1315

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
My dream set-up. Nothing like the sound of precision with those Anderson winches!!!

Matt
I will shortly start making some Sunbrella winch covers.

With launch probably only a few months away now I had better hurry up with some of the bigger sewing projects. Closed cell foam has just arrived for the cockpit cushions, so that is the first item to tackle. I haven't been entirely lazy - indoor soft furnishings are finished (apart from fitted sheets that I can't do until the mattress is ready) and I have been busy this week making a batch of soft shackles .

Also planning to make several dyneema loops for attaching mooring lines and the snubber (more abrasion resistant and will take up less room) plus some Bullseye opening strops with low friction rings so that the snubber can expand and contract freely. If anyone is interested, I'll post the set up when completed.

SWL

Old 02-07-2017, 07:37   #1316

Boat: Oyster 66

If you haven't picked your steering gearbox yet then check out the Lewmar Mamba WRG12. It is pretty well made I think.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:17   #1317

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
If you haven't picked your steering gearbox yet then check out the Lewmar Mamba WRG12. It is pretty well made I think.
We aren't having one of those new fangled steeering wheels .

Old 02-07-2017, 08:30   #1318

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
We aren't having one of those new fangled steeering wheels .
Understood. You don't need a wheel, or even a tiller for that matter. Those units I mentioned move the rudder shaft directly via a push rod, a lot like the Jefa one you showed earlier.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 13:09   #1319

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:

SWL
Oh nice, nice. Looking at the Jefa website I learned the Furuno navpilot unit won't work, which was the system that I was going to go with with a big ram I have laying around from a commercial fishing boat. I was just going to need a pump. That said, I'll probably get the B&G or the Simrad. I also, haven't been keeping up with the tech lately, so it was new to learn of the NAC 3 units which would work with the Jefa drive. I could always find a old pilot for the ram down the road for a backup.. Thanks for the information!

Quote:
I have been busy this week making a batch of soft shackles .

Also planning to make several dyneema loops for attaching mooring lines and the snubber (more abrasion resistant and will take up less room) plus some Bullseye opening strops with low friction rings so that the snubber can expand and contract freely. If anyone is interested, I'll post the set up when completed.

SWL
I made a bunch of shackles as well I need to photograph and put on the thread. But I would definitely be interested in your mooring line and bullseye strops.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:45   #1320

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
I made a bunch of shackles as well I need to photograph and put on the thread. But I would definitely be interested in your mooring line and bullseye strops.
Hi SailRedemption

On our previous boat we had a snubber that ran the length of the deck and this worked well, so we will try and reproduce this. I think this should be possible, but this needs to be sorted properly after all the deck gear is fitted.

This is what is being planned at the moment:
A 14m length of 16mm nylon octoplait will run along the deck, or more correctly above the deck. Today I tested out an openable Bullseye strop that I made just long enough to fit over the cross piece of our double bollards. Under tension the snubber will run through it and hover above the deck. When the load is released and it flops down, the setup is too short for the low friction ring to hit the deck, something I really wanted to avoid. I won't pre-tension the Bullseye until I have checked it is all good with the snubber in place, so the tails have not been cut off the stopper yet:

This gives a better idea of the size of the Bullesye strop. It can be opened and closed. It is perfect for this application - there is not enough room for a soft shackle to fit in the hole with the snubber, and loops that are whipped at the throat to hold an LF ring and cow hitched on would both be too long and oriented the wrong way. The strength has not been tested, but should be about 170% line strength if made with care:

SWL