Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2013, 08:42   #1

Boat: 1976 luger 27 ft.
advantage/disadvantage of outboard motor.

So Im still looking at all types of boats. It seems as though i can find nice boats in the upper twenty for range with an outboard much cheaper than with an inboard motor. Im wondering if an outboard would be ok for my Caribbean adventure?
danscotttrudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 08:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: advantage/disadvantage of outboard motor.

Yes. Outboards are lighter and less expensive for the horsepower. They can also be easily removed from the boat and taken in for servicing which is going to cost you less. The disadvantage is they are less fuel efficient (diesel vs gas), less safe fire wise (diesel vs gas again) and they tend to be more disposable.

Keep in mind also that an outboards prop is going to leave the water in chop in a 20 something footer sooner than if that same boat had an inboard. Sitting to weather of a rock shoreline in heavy chop and you are going to want your prop to stay in the water if your anchor starts slipping

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 12:55   #3

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Outboards are more easily stolen. Which seems to be a real problem in the Caribbean and elsewhere.

They maybe easier to fix in port, but at sea they are difficult to work on.

I worked on my inboard while laying in the lazerette. I always take my outboard to the mechanic and when it fails I hope I have enough wind to sail to port, plus know where I am going.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 13:04   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by danscotttrudel View Post
Im wondering if an outboard would be ok for my Caribbean adventure?
It's a risk that some are willing to take. If you get caught in rough seas, you'll have a fight on your hands but it won't sink the boat!
Old 22-02-2013, 13:13   #5

Boat: Cal 2-27

get that outboard as deep in the water as you can...i love my outboard....can take it off to work on it....can throw it away and get another if it breaks.....it keeps my cabin engine smell free (not all, but lots of boats stink) ask my wife....it gives you extra storage inside...it is lighter...sure, i have had my prop come out..

for me, not all, but for me the advantages of ob weigh more than the ib
Old 22-02-2013, 15:14   #6

Boat: Pearson Triton

About 10 years ago I had a Vancouver 25 with a small Yanmar diesel and 15 gallon tank. It's nice to push the button and be under power...and with a well-maintained diesel it's very reliable. Also for range and charging can't be beat. But...expensive if not already there (prohibitively for most small boats...cost more to re-power than the boat will ever be worth). With a longer keel and stern hung rudder backing up was a coin toss. When it needed service, I had to make an appointment and meet somebody there and then pay what always seemed like too much. Took up lots of space on a small boat and added a lot of complexity.

Fast forward and now I have a Pearson Triton with a 4-stroke 6 hp long shaft in a tilt-up well. Things I really like:

1) It turns in the well and provides side thrust. In reverse this is very useful in and out of the slip. This one feature alone could almost convince me to never go back.
2) Tilts up so no drag when sailing.
3) No extra thru-holes in boat/stuffing box.
4) Easy to remove/move for maintenance. Worst case I would replace -- try that with a diesel. When I'm ready to go cruising I'll probably bring along an extra in case of damage/theft/repair (It would be hard to steal locked in the well but hung off the back sounds sketchy).
5) I remember many trips over the side to clear line/weeds on the Vancouver 25. The one time I've picked up some weeds with the outboard it took less than 2 dry minutes (tilt up, clear, tilt down).
6) No trips to fuel dock as I can fill at any gas station and carry it down. (This is offset by how rarely I had to fill the diesel tank--maybe once a year.) I do dump the gas in my car after a month to keep it fresh...which is a pain.
7) The large space opened up by removing the almost inaccessible hunk of heavy, hot, sometimes stinky metal (not to be overlooked on a small boat).

Of course, this all depends on your usage and on you. I mostly go in and out of a marina and then sail. That's why I got a sailboat. If there's not much wind I just sail slower. I've heard "serious cruisers" say they need a thousand mile range under power. But I personally know a few that have done it without any engine. Either can be done but both have compromises.

Personally, I'm happy with the outboard for now and it fits in with my philosophy of keeping things simple. If it weren't in a well and just hung off the back I'd probably feel differently (aesthetics and ergonomics would ruin it for me).

Here's so more reading on the "outboard well" concept: http://atomvoyages.com/articles/impr...utboard-1.html
vancouver25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 15:18   #7

Boat: Cal 2-27

Call the Pardy's and ask them :-)
Old 22-02-2013, 16:34   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

I am also into this subject.

I think an inboard is better when the boat has space for inboard installation. I think an outboard is cheaper, lighter and less reliable.

It is nearly always easer to maneuver under inboard (exception - outboards that can be directly accessed while manning the boat).

I believe an outboard is adequate for a Carib adventure. I know of one boat that sailed a rtw with an outboard and one more doing so right now. And the Pardeys sailed without an engine I believe.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 16:54   #9

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Sure its doable. The outboard has its advantages and its liabilities. Overall a diesel is superior IMHO but not a dealbreaker if you have to go with a kicker.

One plus for the ob is you have more room down below. You can have a nice wide aft berth where the diesel and fuel tank normally are. All the other pros and cons I can think of are already covered in previous posts.
Old 23-02-2013, 02:03   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danscotttrudel View Post
So Im still looking at all types of boats. It seems as though i can find nice boats in the upper twenty for range with an outboard much cheaper than with an inboard motor. Im wondering if an outboard would be ok for my Caribbean adventure?
an o/b would be ok.

But overall a good (reliable!) inboard is better than an o/b - but an o/b is better than a bad inboard! (bad = unreliable and money eating, enroute to the knackers yard!). The worst scenario is to pay the premium for a boat with an inboard that then goes kaput as requires either serious $$$ to fix or a replacement - plus the inconveniance.......the big advantages of an o/b (apart from lower boat buying cost) is that the engine is unlikely to be the original! (useful when you are the 27th owner ) and that replacement cost is wayyy cheaper (as well as fixes - mostly from engine going to Mohammed rather than requring mechanic to visit the mountain ).

To my mind on a smaller boat (mid twenties down) an o/b is the winner, doubly so when into the realms of boat being "older". Gets trickier when in mid twenties upwards, IMO the decider is the intended use (long passages under motor = inboard) and likely also the actual boat (on some the o/b installation simply works better than on others). Above 30 foot then an inboard for sure, at least by choice - everything is doable if needed!

But, as always, yer pays yer money..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 07:25   #11

To Growley monster. One of my original thoughts about the outboard apart from the price was the size of the aft cabin. I would like my "gilligan" to be comfortable. Also the fact that i went to school to bea mechanic (gas engines) so could most likely fix any problems on an outboard myself whereas i know little about diesel engines.
Old 26-02-2013, 07:34   #12

And David old jersey Ive been narrowing my boats of choice. Im leaning towards 26-29 ft.

A few of the boats I've been looking at (mcgregor 26 and i believe the hunter 26) have water ballastswith a dagger board. What are your thoughts on this? I like that they are easier to trailer( as I've mentioned before, i live in Minnesota and would like tk trailer this boat home with me rather than taking the long trip under sail) and the fact that I've find a number of "nice" looking boats in the 90's in the 5000 dollar range but i don't know if they are stable etc.
Old 26-02-2013, 07:42   #13

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

You have to fix outboards a lot more often than diesels. Outboards don't do much battery charging compared to diesels. Outboards weigh probably 1/4 as much per HP as a diesel.
Old 26-02-2013, 07:49   #14

My plan for charging things at this point(maybe a bad idea. Thats why i am mentioning it now) is a little Honda generator. I use it now in my Motorhome and it works nicely.
Old 26-02-2013, 10:28   #15

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Your Honda generator is probably the most economical way to generate electricity.