Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2013, 13:32   #46

Boat: Pearson Triton
Re: advantage/disadvantage of outboard motor.

I have a "tilt-up" well conversion on my Pearson Triton done by James Baldwin (before I bought the boat). Some Pics here: Atom Voyages - Gallery - Category: Triton

http://atomvoyages.com/gallery/image...pe=orig&id=923

A video of a conversion on an Alberg 30: Atom Voyages - Alberg 30 Outboard Well and Norvane Installation

I have 2 x 3 gallon tanks on each side of the motor inside the lazarette (strapped down but easily removable). I can twist the motor for side thrust as somebody mentioned. There are also sliding "boards" that help keep water out when sailing with the motor tilted up in a following sea (but these still allow water to drain making effectively a huge cockpit scupper).

All in all, for all the "Pros" mentioned in this thread, I like the setup. I wouldn't ditch a solid, working diesel, but faced with a re-power situation and considering cost/benefit, I'd do it this way again. Let me know if you have specific questions or want a particular picture/angle.
vancouver25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 17:10   #47

Boat: Bristol 27

I'd still hate to cut a hole in my boat for the outboard which is why I was thinking about getting a 2 hp 27lb Honda 4 Stroke Outboard. I'd use it then store it. (or hang it on the rail)

I don't want an enclosed engine running with lots of gasoline onboard either. I haven't really had a problem with my outboard coming out of the water, but I really don't like it hanging off the stern while sailing.

Most times when there are waves you can sail your boat anyway with some rare occasions when the wind drops off after it has been strong.

My plan would be to have the larger outboard stored onboard in case I ever needed it.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 17:39   #48

Boat: Pearson Triton

My questions for thomm225:
1) Isn't 2 hp anemic for a Bristol 27? I'm not even sure I could get my boat out of the slip with a 2 hp in 10-15 knots of adverse wind.
2) Where are you going to store a "larger" outboard on a Bristol 27?
3) How are you going to get it on the stern bracket "in case [you] ever need it?"

Your call and I understand the aversion to cutting a "hole" in your transom. Depends on your usage I guess but there are quite a few disadvantages to hanging off the stern compared to a well.
vancouver25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 17:54   #49

Boat: Bristol 27

I'm in a pretty protected slip. The 2 hp would do fine I'm thinking since I usually idle out now with my big 5!

My larger outboard is a 5hp 58lb 4 Stroke (25" extra long shaft) Mercury. I've muscled it several times on and off the bracket. I could use lines if necessary. I might store it on the bow where the previous owner has a board mounted where he used to store his extra fuel, water etc. (or the hanging locker, or tied down in the V berth without fuel etc)

Btw, my first 4 sailboats didn't have engines, but they were much more efficient than my old Bristol since they were relatively late model catamarans. Last 2 were a NACRA 6.0 and a NACRA I -17R.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 17:59   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by danscotttrudel View Post
So Im still looking at all types of boats. It seems as though i can find nice boats in the upper twenty for range with an outboard much cheaper than with an inboard motor. Im wondering if an outboard would be ok for my Caribbean adventure?
I dont know about outboards in blue water, but as some other posters have indicated your motor will cavitate (prop out of the water) sooner and more often in a chop than the inboard which is monted lower. If you have an outboard motor well in the cockpit as opposed to a transom mounted this problem is largely negated but having an outboard grinding away in a well is loud and stinky, my boat has a well but it's sealed up and the motor is on a transom mount anyway.

The advantages of an outboard are numerous. Biggest advantage is if the thing craps out on you and you just cant fix it you can just unscrew it and drop it into the water and buy and install a new one (not the best idea for the environment though! lol).

There is a guy at my yacht club who bought a nice Catalina 28 with an inboard. He had problem after problem one year in with the inboard and he's now removing the whole thing and popping on a transom mounted outboard.

The inboard diesels are a bunch more fuel efficient by volume though, the diesel goes much further per litre of fuel than gas. Less fuel on board to go further, that is the main advantage that I see. Also inboards tend to be way overpowered. His inboard was 85HP, his boat is only 2 ft longer than mine and an extra 700 lbs - I can get to hull speed at 30% throttle with my 8HP high thrust with relative ease. Overpowered I guess means you can run it at lower RPMs which means its quieter, especially with the exhaust coming out under the waterline.

But if you want quiet then you should be hanging the rags and sailing anyway. :-)

just my two bits
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote