Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2021, 05:47   #16

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57
Re: A room (or boat) with a view

Nordship and Sirius. They sail nice, have a wonderful, side windowed interior, and are well built. The Sirius has some very clever space utilization.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 06:13   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Take a peek at a Van de Stadt Tasman. If you can find one in aluminum, she should meet your performance requirements, and the view from the deck saloon is good. Some may have teak decks, others, not.

Another possibility would be a Van de Stadt Samoa, they have quite a long hard dodger. May I also suggest she wear sun screen if she's on the water at all, so much UV gets reflected up off the water onto one's skin.

We found them "cavy" below, but it might work for you.

Anyhow, good luck with your search.

Ann
Thanks Ann. Will have a look at the Van de Stadts. As I recall they have a reputation as a well built boat. Cavy below would be OK as long as there's a sitting or lounging area up top that's very open.

Wife does always wear sunscreen when going outside and long sleeves as well but even high SPF sunscreen doesn't block it all.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 06:18   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
Nordship and Sirius. They sail nice, have a wonderful, side windowed interior, and are well built. The Sirius has some very clever space utilization.
Thanks. Have been looking at both. Really love the Nordship BUT found very few listed for sale and the ones I saw were way over budget. Similar results with the Sirius.
Old 23-08-2021, 06:22   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
noelex 77 & Seaworthy Lass had a ‘room /w a view’, on their new boat.
Bestevaer 49ST ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post1842088
Yes. Have been following the progress on their move to the new boat for years. Seems like an amazing boat except for the budget and also very few on the market.

Spend that much and I'll end up with me alone on a boat and too broke to buy much more than beans and rice.
Old 23-08-2021, 10:12   #20

Boat: Sceptre 41

We had a similar problem. My wife has a sun allergy and had to spend most of her time below. We bought a Sceptre 41 with raised dinette table and salon. She can basically sit at the dinette table and look out the windows (and there are lots of them). There's lots of visibility and as a bonus, the dodger is also tempered glass so it's not like looking through the bottom of an old milk bottle.

We moved up from a 28 footer and were very happy. Unfortunately, my wife is now having knee issues and that step down to the dock is an issue. We have reluctantly put the 41 up for sale and are downsizing back to 28 ft. Fortunately it's the same original 28 footer (we kept her) so it's kind of like going home.
bobfromcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 10:24   #21

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Actually when my wife saw the Sirius she wanted me to sell her house and get on a flight to Germany and bring one home poste haste, she's different.
Been aboard a few Sirius at the boatshows and they are amazing and are very high on my "I want it list"!
Unfortunately they are expensive. Very rare second hand and I beleive there is a long waiting list for new builds.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 10:30   #22

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Not difficult to find good if protection clothing , gloves and a good wide brimmed hat , with the usual dose of sun screen much cheaper than a moody DS
I need to also stay out of the sun full body , and found quality clothing no problems , light and airy and does the job.
The back of the hands , face and neck and tops of feet are the prome points.
Good hats, gloves, shoes no problems
Uva and uvb sun screen very important
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 10:59   #23

Check out yachtworld.com - used sailboat - Cal 46 (actually a 2-46) named Molly J. Not hard to locate because she is priced @ double to triple the other Cal 46's.

She meets 100+% of your qualifications, including being below your price point. If interested and you would like a history of the boat e-mail me at 'svmollyj@yahoo.com' for a copy of the "History of Molly J"
Jonathan Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 11:12   #24

Boat: Currently boatless

WRT the Sirius boats, there are several YouTube videos not only by the builder but also skippers' takes and a West Coast delivery to Vancouver. Their design is innovative, their engineering seems top-notch but, as someone else noted, they are pricey.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 12:02   #25

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Question: does anyone make UV protective glass or soft windows?

I have a bit of experience with UV clear plastic for protecting artworks. The plastic has be replaced every 10 years or so. Maybe a peel off coating for the cabin windows by the view points?

Cheers,
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 18:45   #26

Boat: Tartan 40

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...-4400-3827732/
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 19:18   #27

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
It's pretty clear from the photos of this boat, as beautiful as it is, that someone sitting in the cabin or standing in the galley, won't be able to see out those nice big windows.

In my opinion, any boat in which one must go down three or four steps into the cabin will not meet the OP's requirement.
Old 23-08-2021, 22:02   #28

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I have a fairly common problem. Wife doesn't love the boat, but for a different reason than most.

She enjoys boats and boating but has had some issues with skin cancer. So far not too serious but she should limit sun exposure for the rest of her life. Part of this entails staying out of the sun during the middle of the day.

After a couple of cat charters and trips with family in a large power boat the solution seems to be a boat with windows and a view. Current boat is a fairly typical monohull where you are pretty much down in a cave once you go below. A bimini and boom tent help but you still get a lot of reflected sun exposure so that is not an acceptable solution.

The most obvious, easy solution is a cat and we're considering that but for various reasons a monohull might be a better choice for us.

I have found a number of monohulls with raised salons aka deck salons or pilothouse layouts but so far all I have found the windows are high up in the cabin so sitting at a table in the salon you still can't see out.

Any suggestions for a boat that fits the following?

- 45-55' more or less.
- Not a "motor sailor". Want a boat that will sail reasonably. Doesn't have to be a race boat but don't want to have to crank the engine to move in light air.
- Budget around $300,000 more or less. Less is better but for a great boat more is possible.
- A boat with a protected, covered or inside sitting/lounging/hangout area where you can easily see the scenery and view outside.

Additional preferences
- moderate draft, not much more than 6'
- ICW friendly mast height if possible
- sloop or cutter but could live with a ketch.
I hear what you are saying. Boating is great, but sometimes the exposure that comes with it is not.

A couple come to mind, but the budget doesn't work for you (or me ...).
But have you looked at a Beneteau Sense 50? It is sort of the monohull answer to a catamaran - cockpit level is pretty well saloon level, and there are some big hull windows to boot.

Also, don't disregard the cockpit. The Sense comes with a big arch that the dodger and bimini link to. A decent canvas shop can make you roll-down, zip-up screens that let the breeze through, while attenuating the UV-C dramatically, turning the big, wide cockpit of the Sense, into an outdoor room (we have an Oceanis 50, that we are having this done on).

https://www.beneteau.com/en/sense/sense-50

Watch the video if you don't know the boat - it may work for you.

David
Old 24-08-2021, 05:39   #29

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
I hear what you are saying. Boating is great, but sometimes the exposure that comes with it is not.

A couple come to mind, but the budget doesn't work for you (or me ...).
But have you looked at a Beneteau Sense 50? It is sort of the monohull answer to a catamaran - cockpit level is pretty well saloon level, and there are some big hull windows to boot.

Also, don't disregard the cockpit. The Sense comes with a big arch that the dodger and bimini link to. A decent canvas shop can make you roll-down, zip-up screens that let the breeze through, while attenuating the UV-C dramatically, turning the big, wide cockpit of the Sense, into an outdoor room (we have an Oceanis 50, that we are having this done on).

https://www.beneteau.com/en/sense/sense-50

Watch the video if you don't know the boat - it may work for you.

David
Another beautiful boat, but the salon is 4 steps down and those big windows are way up by the cabin top. Well there are some ports down low that one could see out of, I wonder if that serves? OP?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beneteau Sense 50.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	244168  
Old 24-08-2021, 07:18   #30

Boat: Seaward 22

Well within your budget https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...cabin-3698174/
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags