Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 12:15   #16

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Wonderful Cruising Lifestyle Video

Nice video, K. It is difficult for some to understand what he was doing since it contravenes most peoples idea of "logical" progressions in life. Reality takes many shapes and forms. This young man has chosen one that suits his personality and world view. He is doing it while young and will never regret his decision. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 08-11-2016, 13:23   #17

Boat: Pearson 367

I saw the video a year ago and enjoyed it. He gave Lizzy Belle to a friend a year or two ago. I think his family restored a 60-75 ft wooden schooner and they run charters in the Caribbean.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 14:17   #18

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
I watched that video more than a year ago, and as others have noted, good production. It appears that he sailed on, and off, the Net.

Not a bad short viddy, yet this one (link below) is still my all-time favorite. No Delos / Vagabond "look how hippy we are" nonsense, and no GPS. Just pure sailing beyond the west horizon.

A really unique gem!
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 14:43   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
What... nobody wants to watch a cruising video?
Hi Ken,

I started with the same boat 30 years ago (Kamiri), without head room other than under the dodger that was over the H28's huge hatch. The cramped quarters wore me down after a year of cruising.

I really enjoy you youtube vid and have watched it many times as it tends to pop up in the side bar quite often and cannot resist another view of you and your wife's facial expressions, "just priceless". The boat looks well trimmed in a hoot of wind and you are having a blast of a time.

I could not bring myself to post the link to it, dreading the critical posts, even though it is not worth a one.

Cheers,
Keep on sailing,
Peter.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 14:51   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Oh, what happened to interupt the adventure?

I just thought the video was nicely filmed and captured the essence of the cruising experience.
Yep. Very good production. I too agree the picture conveys one of the cruising modalities.

So whatever happened to that pal?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 14:56   #21

Boat: Skookum 47

Remember, someone else made this video, not the skippy. A groovy title sells, so that's the spin on it. He leaves things vague, and I don't think it was/is his intention to sail around the world. Sure looks like he's having a good time. Here I am pecking away at the keyboard talking about someone else's adventure.
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 15:13   #22

I really enjoyed this one:

PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 16:45   #23

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Check out this wonderful cruising lifestyle video on youtube. This is what it's all about, no matter what boat you choose or budget. Enjoy life to the fullest!

Just get out and do it!

Thank you Ken - and the others that have contributed their favourites. Some (including this one), we have not seen, so will enjoy this weekend having a look with my First Mate. We watch quite a few - enjoying others experiences while we plan for our next.

I hope others contribute to this thread, and for those who have not found this one yet, it is one of our favourites. It has a flavour to it that really strikes a chord for us both - also that it is in an area we have explored somewhat.

I am impressed with the lady's camera technique and editing - especially when you realise the camera is just a Sony compact still camera with video capability, that she borrowed from her mother-in-law for the trip. Her choice of music works for us too.

We all have different perspectives, and different reasons for loving our boats and our sailing. For my wife and I, the whole thing is filled with emotion - a dream of decades that we are finally living (in small bits at the moment), and enjoying our yacht, is filled with a certain romance that can quickly bring emotion to the surface.

Sure we have been tested (F9 off the coast of Nth Africa, around a notorious cape is one that comes to mind), and we will no doubt be tested again. But it is the safe harbours, the soft evenings snuggling in the cockpit, the idyllic anchorages and the amazing dawns at sea, that make all of the more challenging times (at sea and on land) become just memories at the back of the bookshelf.

The below movie focuses more on a couple living, than it does a couple sailing, and perhaps that is why it appeals so much to us. I hope you enjoy as we did:

Trailer -
Full movie -
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 17:31   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
A really unique gem!

Isn't it? I agree! A film portrait of an honest couple circumnavigating the planet.

I find the romanticized "look at our cats" modern films (e.g., "Identity") incredibly boring. I could care less about watching couples having their "snuggle time" in the cockpit as the sun sets, or silly banter as they roll carts on the pier, or what their cats are doing, all to a soundtrack of "we think this female acoustic music is enlightening" . YAWN!! Super boring. Much like Delos & Vagabond & Miss Lonestar and the throng of new YouTube copycats. Ho Hum.

Chasing Bubbles is OK, but an overall downer. I watched Alex Rust's original full video of his trip (pre "Chasing Bubbles"... and no longer on YouTube), and it was longer and much better. Alex was upbeat. They should have made Chasing Bubbles upbeat also. Fail.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 18:55   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Isn't it? I agree! A film portrait of an honest couple circumnavigating the planet.

I find the romanticized "look at our cats" modern films (e.g., "Identity") incredibly boring. I could care less about watching couples having their "snuggle time" in the cockpit as the sun sets, or silly banter as they roll carts on the pier, or what their cats are doing, all to a soundtrack of "we think this female acoustic music is enlightening" . YAWN!! Super boring. Much like Delos & Vagabond & Miss Lonestar and the throng of new YouTube copycats. Ho Hum.

Chasing Bubbles is OK, but an overall downer. I watched Alex Rust's original full video of his trip (pre "Chasing Bubbles"... and no longer on YouTube), and it was longer and much better. Alex was upbeat. They should have made Chasing Bubbles upbeat also. Fail.
Do you remember the name of his original video? Any chance it's on Vimeo?
Old 08-11-2016, 19:26   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
No, I don't remember the name. Sorry. I stumbled upon it on YouTube a year or more ago, yet then it disappeared. It was great. Longer, and with much more footage of his circumnavigation. It might be on Vimeo, or floating somewhere else on the Net.

His name was Alex Rust (R.I.P.). Super upbeat. You can still watch his explanation of the trip on YouTube (link below). That has not been taken down. I think that after he died, his relatives put together "Chasing Bubbles" as a memorial. It's nice that they did that, yet I would have just touched lightly on his passing and then focus primarily on what an upbeat great fearless navigator he was. For me, they made Chasing Bubbles a bit of downer. He was a rare soul. Good human. Upbeat.

It's a shame his original movie has been removed. If you find it, please let me know.

Here he is, and I found his long movie (now gone) through this.

Old 08-11-2016, 19:48   #27

Quote:
Here's another great 2-hour home movie. A biker from Southern California who sailed the south pacific with his friends and family, then circled back through Hawaii. He reminds me of Alex Rust (Chasing Bubbles).

Good real people, good hearts, good sailing. Not the modern YouTube "Pay us Patroen money because we are lazy scamming sods" type film. Great movie. Enjoy.

Old 08-11-2016, 20:05   #28

Well, I looked on Vimeo and a few other spots, but I couldn't find anything. I messaged the "Chasing Bubbles" page on Facebook and asked them, ad they pretty much claim that there was no other movie, Chasing Bubbles is it.

Which leads me to believe that "Chasing Bubbles" is actually only about ten to twenty minutes of original footage (the interviews and India footage) spliced into the original movie Alex made, and passed off as something completely new. I can understand not wanting the original out there if that's the case.
Old 08-11-2016, 20:08   #29

Quote:
Well, I looked on Vimeo and a few other spots, but I couldn't find anything. I messaged the "Chasing Bubbles" page on Facebook and asked them, ad they pretty much claim that there was no other movie, Chasing Bubbles is it.

Which leads me to believe that "Chasing Bubbles" is actually only about ten to twenty minutes of original footage (the interviews and India footage) spliced into the original movie Alex made, and passed off as something completely new. I can understand not wanting the original out there if that's the case.
You are correct. Kind of a shame. I should have made a copy. However, it's their film, so they edited it how they saw fit. Again, let me know if you ever find the original.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:37   #30

Boat: Comet 41s

Some like more the cruising side of cruising on a sailboat and use the sailboat just as a vehicle to cruise, others like as much sailing as cruising and have fun sailing. This movie is about the last ones.

They are cruising, they made several thousands of miles each season and have a nice big collection of photos on facebook, but this video is about enjoying sailing.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising