Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2016, 09:10   #1

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic
Finally finished my trip log for the Bahama Trip...

I've been slow on finishing the trip log for my 1300 mile trip from Florida to the Bahamas and back (about 17 months slow).* I've been working on it for some time but didn't want to post the remainder of the trip in bits and pieces so waited until now, when it is finally finished.

I'd last let-off with the boat in the Exumas at Highborne Cay.* From there I sailed north out of the Exumas to Rose Island just to the east of Nassau.* From there it was a 40+ mile jump over to the Berry Islands....

... where I spent a few days first at Bonds Cay and then moved up ....

... to beautiful Little Harbor and then ....

...to Hoffmans Cay on the north end of the Berry Island Chain.

Then another big jump of 50+ miles across the deep waters of Northwest Providence Channel to Hard Bargain at the south side of the Bight of Abaco.

From Hard Bargain it was two days getting across the Bight of Abaco with an overnight anchored near Basin Harbor.

You find very few sailboats crossing the Bight of Abaco due to the shallow waters entering and leaving so not much info on this water.

I then made it to Fox Town (Little Abaco Island) just in front of weather and stayed there a few days.

I finally left Fox and proceeded 83 miles west to West End (Grand Bahama Island) which was my jumping off place to cross the Gulf Stream as I made my way back to Florida.

The Guff Stream crossing was pretty uneventful, except for a look-over from the Coast Guard, until I got about 6 miles off the Florida Coast, where things deteriorated quickly (read the trip log*)

The little 26 foot Macgregor proved to be almost up to the entire trip and I have no complaints even considering the small hick-up at the end.* This was a trip that I'll remember for the rest of my days, with 86 days and 1294 miles of very, very fond memories.* I will long to return to the Bahamas, hopefully with the larger Endeavour.

On a side note, I started to become anal about sailing while headed back in the Exumas, even though I had some good long sailing days before that.* From the Exumas to Florida was about 500 miles and I sailed all of that except about 110 miles.* The largest part of the 110 miles on the outboard was 91 crossing the Gulf Stream at the end of the trip with no wind.* It was great sailing almost 400 continuous miles without having to listen to the outboard.* I also only spent 2 nights in a slip (At Bimini), with all the rest on anchor and loved it.

If you already read to the end of what I had written you can take off here for the remainder of the trip.....

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015 Bahamas/2-Bahamas-3/Bahamas-Page-23.html

If you haven't read any of it here is the link to the Trip Index Page....

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015 Bahamas/Bahama Trip Index.html

Guys and Girls follow your dreams and take care,

Sumner

=============================================
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 16:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Finally finished my trip log for the Bahama Trip...

Howdy Sumner!

Good to see you posting in CF again, and thank you again for creating such good detailed and well illustrated log pages for us to read and from which to learn.

I don't know if you have seen it yet, but I did mention your blog/log in another thread I started about the topic of Trailer Sailors (boats) and included several links to your blog pages and some encouragement for CF members to visit.

I invite you to post the content you have here in that thread too, or put a link to this thread with a short description in that other thread so CF members reading it will be directed here too.

Your illustrations are very helpful to visualizing the voyage and what you encountered. Thanks for the good captions and arrows and labels on them.

Here is a link to the Trailer Sailor thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-175115.html

Fair winds!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote