Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2017, 17:26   #46

Re: What item could I buy now that would serve for my future sailing boat?

Thanks everyone for all your awesome suggestions! I just discovered the "thanks" button on the right and I will be clicking in each reply. If you see this tread and think it is already 50 replies and you feel your reply will go unnoticed, dont think that, I will ready it. Thanks again. Amazing stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
Seeing that you mentioned life on the ocean I would suggest that just for the experience try shopping for about 4 weeks of groceries etc and live on them only with no refrigeration. You should also during this time allow yourself 1 gallon of water a day for everything. If that sounds a bit extreme then maybe push it to 2. It will give you some idea of what can be ahead at times, but not quite, as you will be able to sleep and stay dry at night and not fear for your life and wonder what's going to break next. I guess that you are still working so you'd be allowed to wear clean clothes in order to keep your job!!!! No cheating

That is actually a pretty good idea, I have been experimenting on storing rice and other grains but not living off them. I will put your idea to work for a week then extend. One thing I have been wondering is storage. Most books I read mention keeping stuff in small sized bags, instead of a big bag of rice for example. Just in case if there is something wrong with one bag, it is not everything.
fernandosmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 18:01   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The most useful thing that you can acquire for a future in yachting is a large basket of hundred dollar bills. You will be surprised at the frequency of events that bring out its innate usefulness!

And despite having done celestial navigation in anger long ago and still carrying one aboard, I'd not bother with purchasing a sextant at this time. Looks nice on the coffee table,but in all likleyhood you will never use it or even learn how to use it. A handheld GPS would be more in keeping with your situation: can use it now, even without a boat, you can become familiar with its operation, and you can learn the process of plotting positions on a local chart... something I'd suggest buying as well.

Good luck, and happy sailing when the time comes.

Jim
Best answer except change it to 'Nautical Units" 1 NU = $1000
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 18:04   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
"I want to buy something, that would be long lasting, an investment that would serve to a better life on the ocean. Something that would be useful."

The very best investment, long lasting guarantee of my continuing life on the ocean was buying a divorce. Had I been younger, a vasectomy would have been my second best investment. And a series of black labs. Great companion, always glad to see me and other people. Rarely causes trouble. No known relatives. Always up for a new adventure. Lotta tail wagging. 30 years, but whose counting?
I have no kids, no wife but I do love dogs too! So I guess I am on the right track?
fernandosmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 18:11   #49

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I think just about every piece of advice you could use for working on your boat is on youtube. Sailing lessons are there too!
Too many tools to mention, but if you ever need a multi-tool (oscillating), go for a Fein.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 18:14   #50

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Fernando, work on cooking boat style. There are some good threads about dried foods and cooking with pressure cookers. Start reading these threads about what works and what doesn't. Soups, meats and potatoes in pressure cooker is a whole lot different then home cooking. There are really some very good threads on boat menus and provisioning.

I have really enjoyed the ideas presented
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 18:45   #51

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandosmooth View Post
I want to buy something, that would be long lasting, an investment that would serve to a better life on the ocean. Something that would be useful.

It could range from food utensils to sailing equipment. The thing is , I dont have a sailing boat yet but I will and all the things I can think of are camping like equipment. There must be some kind of tool that every sailor likes and that it will be useful in the future. Thanks a lot!
Get the book of Brent Swain. He wrote me:
For a copy of my book, please send $20, plus $5 for Canadian postage , $10 for US postage, or $20 for overseas airmail postage, to 3798 Laurel Dr Royston BC Canada V0R2V0

You will learn more than you expect.
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 19:48   #52

Get an iPad Pro and keep learning here, youtubes and other sites. Also build up your kindle library for all the prior mentioned titles in this thread - kindle takes less space onboard.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 20:11   #53

Boat: 60’ Ted Brewer

Lessons, check

Sailing gear, check

Aspirational and educational books/mags, check

Cooking and provisioning, check

I’ll go in a slightly different direction.

When I was waiting for my boat to find me, I bought a Goal Zero power bank and a 30 watt solar panel (there are other manufactures out there now). And I played around with it on and off for a year. I learned a lot about batteries (AGM in my model, but they now have Li models too), how much solar is needed to charge said batteries, and, in a practical sense, how much things I used consume (electrically speaking).

Now that I live aboard as we save to cast off (be careful, that can be a trap), I understand the electrical side of my boat a lot better. I also understand where I need to add capacity, and where I can save power (oh, and also buy a kill-a-watt device and plug things you think you need into it and measure how much electricity they consume).

I’m not an EE, more of a bio background and didn’t pay enough attention in physics classes to know all this stuff second nature, so you also may want to understand your energy footprint and start thinking about how you will handle that “out there”.

Lastly, at a minimum, you will be able to recharge your AA and AAA batteries from the sun. So you’ll have that.

Enjoy yourself and have fun. I love sailing, but for me, the logistics are half the fun.
voehringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 20:54   #54

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandosmooth View Post
Thanks everyone for all your awesome suggestions! I just discovered the "thanks" button on the right and I will be clicking in each reply. If you see this tread and think it is already 50 replies and you feel your reply will go unnoticed, dont think that, I will ready it. Thanks again. Amazing stuff.

That is actually a pretty good idea, I have been experimenting on storing rice and other grains but not living off them. I will put your idea to work for a week then extend. One thing I have been wondering is storage. Most books I read mention keeping stuff in small sized bags, instead of a big bag of rice for example. Just in case if there is something wrong with one bag, it is not everything.
Still a ways off, but for storage of all kinds of stuff, including dry foods, you might check these plastic tubs they sell in restaurant supply stores like Smart and Final. Check post 1 here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...al-153058.html

There might be something in this thread for you... you may want to buy something now that will help your cash flow later while you are cruising...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ist-37982.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 21:04   #55

Boat: 50 Bene

Gold, silver, real estate, stocks, or anything else that will appreciate in value. Not trying to rain on your parade friend just conveying the realities of boat ownership. IT IS EXPENSIVE! Looking back at the beginning of our journey which ended up with the purchase of our baby girl Amelie and man did I have rose colored glasses. Wouldn't change a thing and have not one regret but just want to warn you it's spendy. Marinas are expensive. Bottom paint is expensive. Boatyards are expensive. Parts are expensive. West Marine is expensive. Insurance is expensive. DEFERRED MAINTENCE IS EXPENSIVE. I wish you luck in your endeavor and if you want to purchase something for your future boat I would say a really good tool kit, and the knowledge to use it. The admiral and I have stressed out about our baby girl just about the same as a new parent but the payoff in experiences and moments of Zen are soooo worth it.

Dilly Dilly

P.s. Read your engine, generator, windlass, winch, ac unit, bow thruster, electronics, batteries(house, starter, generator starter)etc etc manuals. There is a whole lot of important info in there
Old 19-09-2017, 21:59   #56

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

A property with a large shed and a deep water frontage--and if possible--with a slope capable of becoming a slip, and with a substantial residence that can be rented with minimum maintenance while you cruise.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 01:12   #57

My top 3 favorites - books/magazines, sailing courses and good binoculars were already suggested so No. 4 would be a set of quality foulies (shop for them online or during big sales at marine stores). And No. 5 - a food vacuum sealer, preferably 12v. Also may be a decent handheld waterproof/floatable VHF.

The binoculars, foulies and VHF can always be used whenever you crew on someone else's boat, which should be often enough to get you closer to buying your own.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 07:28   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
A property with a large shed and a deep water frontage--and if possible--with a slope capable of becoming a slip, and with a substantial residence that can be rented with minimum maintenance while you cruise.

This is a well thought out reply. If convenient also seek shoreline with a large tidal swing and nearby sandbar so you can dry on the tide as well - reduces yard fees.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 09:03   #59

Boat: currently looking

What a great thread....I'm new to the forum and also planning for my future boat purchase. Having owned, cruised, chartered, etc. in the past, I have the sailing experience but little else. Thanks to all who contribute here! It keeps me going!
CruisingHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 17:31   #60

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

The most important piece of equipment on board , is you, your knowledge of seaman ship, basic sailing skills, and then intermediate and then advanced. Then getting out there and sailing, gaining experience .

Also, coastal piloting and navigation . Signal lights and day shapes,

Vessel systems. Handing emergencies.

Marine weather

Then gain experience out there on the ocean, on a fixed keel type of vessel , Your lessons should be on board boats that have many different electronic, plumbing, engine, etc, etc, etc. systems..

Join a sailing club or organization that has structured courses.

As to all of the other things that you will need on board, I would get to sailing first, and put in serious effort and have fun learning. None of us will ever know it all.

Then buy a boat, after a healthy amount of research, and continue adding to your sail bag and vessel inventory. Trust me, that list is going to be very long.

All of the suggestions by the other posters are excellent, but your skills, and being a proficient skipper high outweighs a garage full of sailing gear that is not being used.

Once you join a sailing club, plunk down the cash, and before your fist lesson, we agree:

1. Learn and study your basic sailing manual, and all of the other course manuals as you proceed with your training. But, being ahead of the power curve, and having some knowledge will help .

2. Top sider or other good boat shoes.

3. Sailing gloves for line handling, and winch work, and handling the helm, mooring pickup, and anchoring.

4. Sailing Jacket. You will be taking on spray

5. weather gear">Foul weather gear. Important.

6. Cap or hat with a chin strap.

7. Good quality polarized sun glasses with a croakie . Sun rellection off the ocean can hammer your eyes.

8, Charts, parallel rules, dividers, hand bearing compass. Also a piece of line to practice your figure 8's, bowlines, sheet bends, clove hitches, rolling hitches, and please learn proper cleat hitches. We carry plenty of extra line, you are going to need it for many different situations.

9. Read as many books on sailing instruction, passage making, and first person experience authors.

10. Leatherman tool. channel locks, and good rigging knife.

I do not know if you are U.S, or another country, so will stop here . You will need navigation systems, buoys, navaids, lights, etc., for what ever areas that you will be sailing.

You absolutely have some great suggestions, but none of that is going to do you much good if you do not know how to sail, or ever buy that boat.

Living your sailing dream takes effort, and perseverance, study and practice, and gaining experience . And then fully understanding a skippers responsibility. It is huge.

" The ocean does not love you, any indifference toward her, and she will kick your transom, big time. "
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailing