Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2017, 08:41   #16
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: What item could I buy now that would serve for my future sailing boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandosmooth View Post
I want to buy something, that would be long lasting, an investment that would serve to a better life on the ocean. Something that would be useful.

It could range from food utensils to sailing equipment. The thing is , I dont have a sailing boat yet but I will and all the things I can think of are camping like equipment. There must be some kind of tool that every sailor likes and that it will be useful in the future. Thanks a lot!
A philips screwdriver!!!! Be sure to put a lanyard on it.
Old 19-09-2017, 08:43   #17

Location: South Africa curent saling to the Bahamas from Annapolis
Boat: Knysna 500SE

I agree with all the book ideas
and would add a myerchin yachting knife and/or splicing tools ..... check out Marlow
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 08:57   #18

Boat: Freedom 38

Cordless Makita drill and impact driver, specifically; any good tool, in general. There have been other threads about "best tools for the boat." But don't go overboard because each boat project will likely result in a trip to the hardware store for another type of tool to do the job....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 09:00   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I want to buy something, that would be long lasting, an investment that would serve to a better life on the ocean. Something that would be useful.

It could range from food utensils to sailing equipment. The thing is , I dont have a sailing boat yet but I will and all the things I can think of are camping like equipment. There must be some kind of tool that every sailor likes and that it will be useful in the future. Thanks a lot!
Something interest baring.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 09:07   #20

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quite a number of good suggestions so far. To add to the list:
A Spyderco knife, with belt pouch, & lanyard
Quality 7x50 binoculars with built in compass
The Rigger's Apprentice - Brion Toss
The Sailmaker's Apprentice
Sail & Rig Tuning - Ivar Dedekam
The Dashew's books - free at www.setsail.com/free-books
Waterproof headlamp with both red & white LED illumination.
Quality hard plastic toolbox, & basic hand tools. Followed by a socket set, spanners, multimeter, & woodworking tools.

EDIT: For the lanyard, on the end which attaches to your belt, use a clip as found here https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...03?recordNum=6
Model 116103. As they're easy to open with one hand. And make the lanyard long enough so that you can loop it underneath of your belt, then over the belt's top, & clip it back onto itself. It makes for a quite secure, but easy to access retention method.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 09:11   #21

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

1) Garmin etrex 10. This is a basic model that serves well as a backup to fancier electronics. Personally I have a pair of old garmin etrex yellow that go with me everywhere as backups. Learn how to use this gps while on land, so when you run into trouble, you will always have a fix and a course, if nothing else. Geocaching is a good way to learn your gps. My $99 etrex got me safely across the atlantic, much to the chagrin of the boat's owner, who had spent over $10k on electronics which he had no idea how to use.

2) Good multitool. I like my SOG. Don't spend too much, cause if you use it, you might lose it.

3) High lumen compact flashlight. Should run on AA batteries and be waterproof.

4) Compact, weatherproof, shockproof, binoculars. Not expensive. I have a pair of compact bushnell's that are awesome ($99).

5) Plastimo IRIS 50 hand bearing compass. This is the best compass ever. It will last you a lifetime. It is a great peice of gear. Worth every penny.

6) Handheld VHF radio. Learn how to use it. Listen to the weather forecast every day and compare it to your actual weather. It should be rechargeable (DC and AC), but also run on AA's if needed in an emergency.

7) A small musical instrument. A uke, harmonica, flute, or any small instrument. "If music be the fruit of love, play on!"

8) Start a toolbox. Wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, snap ring pliers, bolt cutters etc. Great fun to shop the sales at tool shops and yard sales. Start a collection of spares like cotter pins, split pins, circle pins, and various bolt sizes and lengths. Keep it compact.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 09:16   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

A nice print of your favorite boat, or one that really inspires you, to hang on your wall... you'll feel happy and motivated every time you see it. I've had one for over 40 years of a little open sloop anchored in an estuary somewhere in New England... I hung it in my first boat when I got her and now it hangs in my current one... faded, water stained, but it still continues to inspire me...
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 09:18   #23

The best quality PFD for the type of sailing you plan, that you can afford, that you will be comfortable in in the best and the worst conditions - Mustang
notiesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 09:23   #24

[QUOTE=fernandosmooth;2481973]I want to buy something, that would be long lasting, an investment that would serve to a better life on the ocean. Something that would be useful

A subscription to Sailing World and Cruising World magazines.
Will keep the interest and enthusiasm alive with great stories and photos. A good source of gear selection, plus give you a feel for boats for sale and pricing.
Good luck!
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 09:41   #25

Boat: Four Winns V435

Quote:
Definitely get the following book ...United States Coast Guard USCG NAVIGATION RULES AND REGULATIONS HANDBOOK.
Aquadome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 09:42   #26

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:

Your request immediately creates two categories, both of which have been solidly addressed in prior responses. They are equipment and knowledge, and not surprisingly, the two sail together well. There is a third called experience which will come into play fairly soon, and almost automatically. You really do need a couple of lengths of rope (it has many sizes, types, and names) to learn to make knots, and a book or an app will help. Navigation can be understood better by having basic tools, such as a hand held compass (available in several useful forms), a decent sextant (might last a lifetime, so select wisely, if you get one), maybe a handheld GPS, some paper charts (large and small scale), and chart tools, and definitely some books (examples from earlier posts), probably to be acquired with and after a class or classes. A bosun's knife, and as mentioned elsewhere, a nice pair of quality marine binoculars. Read, take classes, classes, classes, and read some more until you get that boat, but in the meantime there is a good chance, depending upon your location, that the classes will provide you with invites to sail (experience, experience) which may provide you with an opportunity to take and use some of your stuff if carried in a soft sided duffel bag or your pocket, depending upon the boat and the trip. Enjoy the process!
Old 19-09-2017, 09:44   #27

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Yes. Books and magazines. You can / should start using them right now.

My 1st choice of books would be "Chapman Piloting & Seamanship"
Magazine that I keep all the back issues of for reference to ALL things sailing: Sail Magazine.

Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 09:59   #28

-a good set of binoculars.
-a good life jacket that you like
-Foul weather gear.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 10:13   #29

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

If you are hiking and doing outdoor activities now you could get a spot personal GPS Locator for around $100 plus yearly subscription and for an extra $17 a year get evac insurance up to 500 K.

Or go with a Delorme inreach
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 10:15   #30

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

In addition to the excellent suggestions to date, I would recommend a quality barometer and ships clock. Wheems & Plath make an excellent set that can be displayed at home and bulkhead mounted on board. The barometer will help you understand the effect pressure has on weather forecasting. It's good to know when it's dropping! JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailing