Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2015, 17:07   #1

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Handy stuff for pocket cruisers, et al.

Ok, I'll start this off. Hope to get a bunch of new ideas from all of you. Mine is some plastic containers they sell at a restaurant supply/grocery store chain we have around here called Smart and Final. I got some to put dry food in but now I am putting tools, spare parts, repair supplies, first aid supplies, emergency equipment... just about everything, in them. They have large openings, screw tops, air tight/waterproof, pretty tough, clear and being cube shaped make good use of storage space and they come in three sizes. (Of course you can throw in some rice or something to absorb condensation if needed.) I have no stock in the company but maybe I should. Ok your turn...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2446.jpg
Views:	1617
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	109118  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 17:29   #2

Re: Handy stuff for pocket cruisers, et al.

My Origo 5100 space heater and stove would be awesome for a pocket cruiser. I bought it so I would have heat away from dock but liked cooking on it so much I ripped out my entire propane system. Its awesome, small, very easy to use, serves multiple purposes (cooking and heat) and is reasonable. I got mine for $222 Canadian, which would be roughly $150 US. And no system to maintain- its a self contained unit.

I percolated my coffee on it this morning in about 10 minutes then made 8 breakfast sausages and scrambled eggs for 3.

Its also portable so you can take it camping, in your RV, or use it as a back up heat and cooking source in your home the event of a massive power grid failure.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1442363026325.jpg
Views:	1564
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	109121  
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 17:42   #3

Boat: Vancouver 27

A small engel portable fridge/freezer. I have a 17L that I use as a freezer to make block ice, swapping gallon jugs between the icebox and engel. Minimal amp draw, cold drinks and a small bit of freezer space! O' the luxury!!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 19:38   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We just bought a good hand held spotlight for coming in after dark. Timed it perfect. A freak, non forcasted storm ripped thru. we were fine, anchored in a sheltered Bay, but spent the next few hours rescuing a capsized hobbie cat, and spotting several other boats floating turtle. The spot light was a life saver, maybe literally.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 19:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
We just bought a good hand held spotlight for coming in after dark. Timed it perfect. A freak, non forcasted storm ripped thru. we were fine, anchored in a sheltered Bay, but spent the next few hours rescuing a capsized hobbie cat, and spotting several other boats floating turtle. The spot light was a life saver, maybe literally.
What brand?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 15-09-2015, 22:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
What brand?
Energizer. Not a super high performance, I will probably end up losing it in the lake;-) I picked it because of good brightness and almost 500 metre visibility.water and shock resistant. Also standard batteries as I don't have shore power. Led so long life.
Decent price at around $50 Canadian.
Old 15-09-2015, 22:42   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 28

I think a dive light, a good one works well for all purposes. Maybe 700-1000 lumens. Can use as spotlight, looking in the engine compartment or other hard to see places. We're it on your head as a dinghy headlight, put it on the mast as a steaming light.

Drop it in and it still works and floats. Most of the good ones recharge a lithium battery too so no replacing batteries.

That or a good deal on a handheld chartplotter with build in nautical charts, like buy on eBay the garmin Oregon 400c.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 07:27   #8

We have a couple dive lights as well, they are good for working inside tight spaces but not so much as a spot light.
I agree with the chart plotter, very helpful.
A cheap heel indicator was a nice addition as well. Got the green oil filled one, marks to 45 degrees.
Old 16-09-2015, 07:30   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
My Origo 5100 space heater and stove would be awesome for a pocket cruiser.
I too love the origo stoves. I have an Origo1500 I bought on ebay for about $100cdn (new). Relatives are always borrowing it to go camping. Great little stove.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 07:34   #10

Boat: Scout 30

We've used a Mr Buddy heater for a couple of years & it works. Kind of like a portable fireplace.

Amazon.com: Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater: Automotive
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 07:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
plastic containers they sell at a restaurant supply/grocery store chain we have around here called Smart and Final. I got some to put dry food in but now I am putting tools, spare parts, repair supplies, first aid supplies, emergency equipment... just about everything
Great advice. Everything in a kit. Keeps everything tidy and clean. I do the exact same, except I use peanut butter jars. They have a wide lid, clear sides, and best part...they come free when you buy the peanut butter! I have tools, small parts, first aid kit, sail repair kit, bug kit, you name it, and I've got a PB jar full of it. In the galley I fill one with packets of salt/pepper, ketchups, etc (from fast food joints), another has pancake mix, others have staples like flour, sugar, etc. Because they are all the same size, it makes everything super organized and easy to find.

I know the PB jars are not as space efficient as square jars, but they are free and plentiful.

I would always bring a spare pb jar for each of my kids when we would explore a new island or beach. They would fill the jar with their treasures...rocks, shells, sand, sticks, etc. Keeping all that treasure in a sealed jar helped keep the boat clean.
Old 16-09-2015, 07:46   #12

You might call me old school, but my garmix etrex (yellow, classic) has gone with me on every boat, big or small. In addition to basic navigation, its great for anchoring (to know you aren't dragging), in the dinghy, and even when going ashore. I mark the boat when visiting a new place so I can always find my way back...hey, navigating ashore can get tricky! They are very inexpensive to buy used, are rugged, and the batteries last for days. A great gadget to have on any boat, big or small. Also handy for finding geocaches, or as a bike computer (with the handlebar mount).
Old 16-09-2015, 08:39   #13

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I know I'm not qualified cause my boat is too big, but I'm taking notes on all your favorites. There's no such thing as too much space. Thanks all!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 09:20   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I know I'm not qualified cause my boat is too big, but I'm taking notes on all your favorites. There's no such thing as too much space. Thanks all!
No you are qualified, you are part of the "et al."
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 16-09-2015, 09:23   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
We've used a Mr Buddy heater for a couple of years & it works. Kind of like a portable fireplace.

Amazon.com: Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater: Automotive
Looks great, no CO problem?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
cruise, cruiser, pocket cruiser