Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2018, 20:07   #46

Re: We went to Cuba 3/2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
... to this day, it amazes me at the selfish attitude of "cruisers" and their goal to sail to Cuba. I will not recount the numerous stories told to me by my Cuban friends in Miami of the atrocities of the Cuban government against the Cuban people.

...own anything made in China?

There's nothing to be accomplished by the US continuing to sit on Cuba's face. The only way forward is to stop punishing the Cuban people for stuff that happened 60+ years ago. Cuban Communists will be defeated and Cuba's people liberated by tourist dollars and open trade, not by a half-century hissy-fit.

Cuba and her people are interesting and welcoming. And not a threat to the US. Go visit them.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:23   #47

Boat: Vancouver 27

A guy by the name of Addison Chan did a write-up suggesting how the new US administration's 2017 revisions to Cuba travel might actually be a good thing. His take was that the new rules, in effect, encouraged more meaningful exchanges by tightening up the reasons for going and by restricting business with certain establishments that were military-owned.

It's tough to stomach a government anywhere telling their people where or where not they may travel, or how they can contribute once there. In this case, it's also painfully ironic. But I think these new regs actually serve as a decent roadmap for how to go to Cuba (gasp) AND also help the people.

Many boats bring supplies. In our case, we solicited donations from friends and family. While we were there we spent money at private casa particulares, and ate at private paladars. We handed out eyeglasses to grandparents in Havana. We had boxes of basic children's medications. We gave masks and snorkels to fishermen; some of the fishermen would swim to outlying reefs and spend an entire day spearfishing without mask or flippers, trailing a line of bloody fish. We traded with other fishermen in remote outposts for items that brought big smiles to their faces. We went to a small family farm in the countryside for a few days to work and talk organic farming with them. We bought food from neighborhood farmers markets that are beginning to sprout up in the small towns around Marina Hemingway.

It was also a great way to break up an otherwise difficult passage. We were leaving in Dec/Jan for the Western Caribbean from FL, and the prospect of a 4 day passage that time of year didnt' seem like much fun. This broke it up into two overnights.

So don't perish the thought of going to Cuba. Don't wait for governments to solve the problem. Go see it for yourself. With a boat you've got an sure chance to help at least a handful of Cubans along the way. They need it. And you'll probably emerge with an increased willingness to continue propping up this wobbly horse we call western democracy.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:14   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post

Another agent then came to*the boat and asked for my 1 crew member to follow her to the customs office...

I was than asked to go*to the office where my picture was taken.
As master I would be concerned of this procedure. Why are the crew separated before entering the country?

My concern has nothing to do with that it is Cuba, the same would apply wherever in the world. Too, I imagine a husband/wife team would not want to be separated.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:32   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

There's nothing to be accomplished by the US continuing to sit on Cuba's face. The only way forward is to stop punishing the Cuban people for stuff that happened 60+ years ago. Cuban Communists will be defeated and Cuba's people liberated by tourist dollars and open trade, not by a half-century hissy-fit.

Cuba and her people are interesting and welcoming. And not a threat to the US. Go visit them.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:35   #50

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
As master I would be concerned of this procedure. Why are the crew separated before entering the country?

My concern has nothing to do with that it is Cuba, the same would apply wherever in the world. Too, I imagine a husband/wife team would not want to be separated.
We flew into Cuba in 2003 and they done the same with us at the airport. They basically ask a few questions, addressed to you separately, and see if your story and agenda adds up.
Blackie Swart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 13:09   #51

I enjoyed reading these posts and highly agree that the only way to help any communist country to be set free is to meet with them and show them another way. Having said that, I noted in many many trips to Cuba and living for the most part in a private home enjoying their family life, they have much more than Canadians will ever have. All are highly educated, their children are very well behaved, and school is their priority. Until recently with lack of internet, no screen time, so they play on the streets! They are a very happy people. I note when the pope went to Cuba the security was very low when he went to US you could not move for security! They have free housing, free food, free education and free health and dental. When I think of the starving children in Africa how bad do they really have it. The best part is anyone I met there was HAPPY, not so with too many of the children in Canada who are only happy for a few hours when they get there expensive I phone for Christmas. Money is NOT everything.
BernBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 13:18   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: We went to Cuba 3/2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

Funny how its conveniently forgotten that the corruption and abuse in Cuba that Americans so enjoyed and pushed were what created Cuba in the 50's..
Kids hate having their toys taken from them..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 15:50   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Funny how its conveniently forgotten that the corruption and abuse in Cuba that Americans so enjoyed and pushed were what created Cuba in the 50's..
Kids hate having their toys taken from them..
Sir it takes two to tango. Just look at the rest of south and central america
willpower1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 16:47   #54

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpower1 View Post
Sir it takes two to tango. Just look at the rest of south and central america
Presume you refer to the US and Panama..
Old 10-04-2018, 15:02   #55

Boat: in the works

Great story! Thanks for sharing!!
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 21:42   #56

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

[QUOTE=
So don't perish the thought of going to Cuba. Don't wait for governments to solve the problem. Go see it for yourself. With a boat you've got an sure chance to help at least a handful of Cubans along the way. They need it. And you'll probably emerge with an increased willingness to continue propping up this wobbly horse we call western democracy.[/QUOTE]

Well said!
David B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba