Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2015, 09:28   #151

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Water maker or not?

I was wondering about the noise because I heard one recently that was a lot louder than I expected and I'm told that membranes should not be mounted in an engine room because of the heat. So that means we would be stuck mounting the clark pump/membrane in the salon where the noise would bother me if we had to run it two or three hours a day.

On the other hand, the cruise RO is also loud but I only have to run it for an hour every 7 days or so.

But...Thin/Flexible solar panels are getting so cheap we are planning on buying a half-dozen just to lay around when we are sitting in some great anchorage making water. These would be in addition to our existing 560 watts of solar we have permanently mounted.

A stack of six 50 watt panels is only about 2 feet by 2 feet by 5 inches. We could easily build a small area in our locker to store them away.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 09:39   #152

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Zboss,

You are correct about keeping the membrane out of high heat areas. (E.g., engine room)

While ours is in the engine room, the membrane portion is against the hull under removable sole hatch boards. Therefore, even though our engine room averages 110F when the engine is running, the chamber where the membrane lives stays under 85F. (I move the wireless temp sensor around, and being of a curious nature, also use an IR thermometer. )

It seems to be a workable arrangement.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Bill

-Bill
SV Denali Rose
Old 19-10-2015, 09:52   #153
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Of course you can:

Water Saver Idea

We are having another drought here in California. We have all sorts of tips & tricks.

10 minute showers aren't one of 'em!

I'm a bad guy, I don't save water, I pump it from the ground from about 100' down and return it to the ground about 2' down.
Here in South Ga and North Fl the springs are dieing, and nobody notices that like a cave diver, but it's not the bottled water companies that everyone likes to vilify that's killing the springs, it's the farmers with the center pivot irrigation systems, or at east that is my belief.

North Florida Springs Alliance - Home

Anyway, I see water usage on a boat with a water maker as not "wasting" water either, you pull it from the ocean, remove the salt, and return it to the ocean.
In actual fact I can't think of a much "greener" way to live, then on a cruising boat, I'm surprised that hasn't been more widely publicized than it is.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 13:38   #154

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Newhaul, thanks for the song. Never heard it and didn't know of this artist even. I like country. He has a rich voice. I had to do a lyrics search because I couldn't catch the phrasing in the song. Yes, it deepened my understanding. Thanks for the help.

"He said I've been here for all these years
And what I know is this
If you look and listen close
A man will show you what he is
You know the way I see it, you've been 'round but you're still green
Cause tattoos and scars are different things." From Tatoos and Scars sung by Montgomery Gentry.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 14:56   #155

Ok, so exactly what turbidity can I make water in if I get a water maker?

I have a dish washer, small tankage and would love to please female guests with normal showers (propane on demand water heater).

I want a water maker, but feel I'll never get to use it.

Can I use it...

1) Anchored in Biscayne Bay?
2) Anchored in the Chesapeake?
3) Anchored In the tannin filled Dismal Swamp Route?
4) As I'm motoring down the ICW?

Where can i NOT use a watermaker?
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 16:27   #156
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I'm in the midst of installing a Spectra on my boat. We're going RTW so we will not be in marinas very often. If you plan to anchor most of the time you'll need water. If you plan to marina hop - spend the money on gin

Unless you have a strong back and a real interest in lugging water cans and ferrying them out ot your boat in the dinghy, buy a watermaker.

If you have any questions or need any advice during your install or initial start up I'm only a phone call away. Call anytime. (954) 515-7077

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 16:59   #157
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I was wondering about the noise because I heard one recently that was a lot louder than I expected and I'm told that membranes should not be mounted in an engine room because of the heat. So that means we would be stuck mounting the clark pump/membrane in the salon where the noise would bother me if we had to run it two or three hours a day.

On the other hand, the cruise RO is also loud but I only have to run it for an hour every 7 days or so.

But...Thin/Flexible solar panels are getting so cheap we are planning on buying a half-dozen just to lay around when we are sitting in some great anchorage making water. These would be in addition to our existing 560 watts of solar we have permanently mounted.

A stack of six 50 watt panels is only about 2 feet by 2 feet by 5 inches. We could easily build a small area in our locker to store them away.

The sound of a Spectra is going to be determined by the installation itself. There are plenty installed in the engine room where they would be very hard to hear while running (depending on the boat and the model of Spectra). Mount the feed pumps on a thin bulk head and it can act like a sounding board. Even with the largest of Spectras running right next to you two people can have a normal toned conversation.
If you operated the smallest Spectra watermaker two or three hours a day as you stated above that would be 91 to 136 gallons produced in seven days. The smallest 20gph Crusie RO would need to run 5 to 7 hours to make that amount. Chances are better that you would think more along the lines of running your watermaker every 2-3 days. Coming up with a water budget and an average daily use is the best place to start before choosing which watermaker best suits your needs and your boats capabilities. Before plunking down a lot of money I would suggest at least two phone calls, one to Rich Boren 619-609-3432 and one to me (954) 515-7077

Old 19-10-2015, 18:10   #158

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
I was wondering about the noise because I heard one recently that was a lot louder than I expected and I'm told that membranes should not be mounted in an engine room because of the heat. ...
My entire Catalina 300 system is engine room mounted. Discussed with Spectra pre-install. Been in there for about 11 years now...not a problem.

Only noise I hear, engine off, a few meters from the engine room, is the soft "thunk" of the Clark pump cycling.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 18:15   #159

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

db(A,B,C or D...
or OCD?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 01:17   #160

Boat: Kaufman 47

Tellie, I have 200 gals worth of tankage on Redemption. I don't have estimates of how I use water yet as we haven't moved aboard yet. No fancy water users, just sinks and showers. What would you say about a 12v unit? Also, my fiancee and I work offshore so month on/month off, with that time away from the boat would a watermaker be something to consider?
I say 12v because I don't have a genny, batteries only. This is all just thinking ahead, we're in no position to get one right now but maybe once we leave Louisiana it's a possibility.

Ronnie

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 04:25   #161
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Tellie, I have 200 gals worth of tankage on Redemption. I don't have estimates of how I use water yet as we haven't moved aboard yet. No fancy water users, just sinks and showers. What would you say about a 12v unit? Also, my fiancee and I work offshore so month on/month off, with that time away from the boat would a watermaker be something to consider?
I say 12v because I don't have a genny, batteries only. This is all just thinking ahead, we're in no position to get one right now but maybe once we leave Louisiana it's a possibility.

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,
I would probably agree and say hold off on a watermaker right now because mostly of your work schedule. I'm guessing that finding water at least once in the month you are on board isn't too much of a problem and with 200 gallons capability that would get you by comfortably. If you are not going to have a generator on board then a 12Volt watermaker makes the most sense. What size watermaker is going to be dependent on several factors such as getting closer to what you think is a real average daily estimate of how many gallons you do use and might like to increase to. Also what are your charging capabilities? Do you have or will you have solar and perhaps wind generation? What is your intended cruising style and destination/s? Everyone is different and fitting the right watermaker that fits your needs and your boats capabilities can take a bit of time, which you certainly have. It's not unusual at all for people like yourself to take a year or two to figure out what is going to work best for them and ask a lot of questions. No matter how long it takes or what you decide in the end I'm always available to help answer any questions. Always feel free to call me anytime as well.
The Ft. Lauderdale show is coming up and Miami Strictly sail is around the corner. Louisiana's not all that far and I can always get you some comp tickets.

Old 20-10-2015, 11:51   #162

We don't generally lug water to the boat. We use a 60 gallon water bladder that we put in the dink and run to shore. We leave the bag in dink and run hose to bag with an RV filter right before the bag. We drive back to the boat and use a normal water pump to pump the water up into our tanks.

We do that until our tanks are full - if they are completely empty maybe 3 runs. If there is any water left in the bladder we attach the hose sprayer and wash the deck. No heavy lifting.

Unless we are getting diesel [or we have big repairs that would be more suited to being someplace with a dock] there is not really any reason for us to approach a marina.

Still, having that water maker would sure be nice! There are lots of places that we would like to "hole-up" when the funds get short where the water is our only limiting factor.
Old 20-10-2015, 15:08   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Hi Ronnie,
I would probably agree and say hold off on a watermaker right now because mostly of your work schedule. I'm guessing that finding water at least once in the month you are on board isn't too much of a problem and with 200 gallons capability that would get you by comfortably. If you are not going to have a generator on board then a 12Volt watermaker makes the most sense. What size watermaker is going to be dependent on several factors such as getting closer to what you think is a real average daily estimate of how many gallons you do use and might like to increase to. Also what are your charging capabilities? Do you have or will you have solar and perhaps wind generation? What is your intended cruising style and destination/s? Everyone is different and fitting the right watermaker that fits your needs and your boats capabilities can take a bit of time, which you certainly have. It's not unusual at all for people like yourself to take a year or two to figure out what is going to work best for them and ask a lot of questions. No matter how long it takes or what you decide in the end I'm always available to help answer any questions. Always feel free to call me anytime as well.
The Ft. Lauderdale show is coming up and Miami Strictly sail is around the corner. Louisiana's not all that far and I can always get you some comp tickets.

Thanks Tellie for the information and advice. Regarding charging, I have a lifepo4 bank of approximately 400ah that is charged by the alternator right now but plan to put in some solar to help offset engine use and to provide energy when away from the boat. I thought seriously about wind but I would rather spend the money right now on an arch and solar and get wind later if need be. Intended cruising style is, as of right now talking about it but not actually doing it, is the Caribbean and anchoring while exploring islands. Limited marina use, probably only when a decent mooring isn't available and we need to secure the boat while at work.

We will for sure wait as I know 200 is on the higher side of the typical available water tank age on normal sailboats. I appreciate the advice and will definitely keep you in mind for a Wm unit down the road.

As for the tickets, I really appreciate that, but I wish I knew you this past trip to Miami in Feb! We went to see everything to get some hands on with items while we are refitting Redemption, it was nice and we had a good time. I don't think we'll be there this year as we could use that money for the boat and our wedding in June in St. Thomas. (:

Ronnie

Old 20-10-2015, 15:11   #164

Quote:
We don't generally lug water to the boat. We use a 60 gallon water bladder that we put in the dink and run to shore. We leave the bag in dink and run hose to bag with an RV filter right before the bag. We drive back to the boat and use a normal water pump to pump the water up into our tanks.

We do that until our tanks are full - if they are completely empty maybe 3 runs. If there is any water left in the bladder we attach the hose sprayer and wash the deck. No heavy lifting.

Unless we are getting diesel [or we have big repairs that would be more suited to being someplace with a dock] there is not really any reason for us to approach a marina.

Still, having that water maker would sure be nice! There are lots of places that we would like to "hole-up" when the funds get short where the water is our only limiting factor.
See that's what I was thinking for hauling water, a big bladder. I used to wakeboard and we had big water bladders to weigh the boat down for a larger wake, we used a regular rule type pump that would screw right to the bladder. I was going to carry that idea over to the dink.

How big is your dinghy and did you choose the 60 gal sack because of weight restrictions or size?

Old 20-10-2015, 21:53   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
See that's what I was thinking for hauling water, a big bladder. I used to wakeboard and we had big water bladders to weigh the boat down for a larger wake, we used a regular rule type pump that would screw right to the bladder. I was going to carry that idea over to the dink.

How big is your dinghy and did you choose the 60 gal sack because of weight restrictions or size?

We have an 11 foot West Marine RIB. We choose the 60 gallon because it was affordable and the next size up was 150 gallons.

The boat has no problem handling the 60 gallons so I'm betting it could handle the 150 also - although that would probably be pushing it. Even if we didn't use the full capacity, we may decide to get the 150 when the 60 wears out...just to cut down on round trips.

We use whatever extra we have left over for washing the boat, doing some laundry, washing the bilge... whatever. My wife bought a blow up kids pool to put out on deck so she can take bubble baths under the stars.

However, same days people get pissed when they have to wait in line for me to fill 60 gallons at the dock, especially through a filter. Because of this, if it looks like a busy water day, I'll skip the pre-filtering and filter as we pump it into the boat. Usually we do both.

When we are done we pour a little bleach in and swish it around then cap it off for next time. So far so good - we have not had any problems with mold or mildew.

Aquaflex.net - Aquatank II - Emergency Water Storage Tank Bag - Aquatank Portable Water Storage Bags

Tags
water