Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2015, 18:54   #121

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Water maker or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Humm...I guess the means that unlike some campgrounds that have electricity but no water hook-up that all marinas that have an electric hook-up also will have a water hook-up...correct?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

You're more likely to find a hose than an outlet in a lesser developed country

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 19:20   #122

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Amp hours are amps x time
Watt hours are amps x voltage x time.
Tellie should have said watt hours/hour.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 19:52   #123

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Just FYI, my wife and I are relatively new cruisers, but just spent two weeks on the boat - mostly anchored. Water usage was 8-10 gallons per day. We used water to shower, drink, wash dishes. We didn't scrimp nor did we waste. Water was obtained from public docks or marinas every 3-4 days. We were moving our boat from Texas to Florida, getting set up for it to spend the winter, and we come back next year for 3-4 months in the Keys and Bahamas. I have installed a Spectra 150D for that, but have not run it yet. Will test it in Florida offshore next year and get the run time mostly in the Bahamas. Yes, it is a luxury. So is the catamaran, as we could have done everything on a 20-something foot monohull.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 20:22   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
How many dB's of noise does a Spectra make?

db(A,B,C or D) What is the reference sound level and what frequency weighting filter are you applying?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 20:34   #125
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Just FYI, my wife and I are relatively new cruisers, but just spent two weeks on the boat - mostly anchored. Water usage was 8-10 gallons per day. We used water to shower, drink, wash dishes. We didn't scrimp nor did we waste. Water was obtained from public docks or marinas every 3-4 days. We were moving our boat from Texas to Florida, getting set up for it to spend the winter, and we come back next year for 3-4 months in the Keys and Bahamas. I have installed a Spectra 150D for that, but have not run it yet. Will test it in Florida offshore next year and get the run time mostly in the Bahamas. Yes, it is a luxury. So is the catamaran, as we could have done everything on a 20-something foot monohull.

Glad y'all have started your journey. Where in Florida are you keeping the boat? Let me know how the watermaker works for you. We've never felt the need but it may be in our future. I've always said when I get to the age where I can't physically take care of my boat or do the needed chores I would sell her. Hopefully the watermaker may be a way for us to extend our time on the water.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 23:08   #126

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Stu, no one doubts your intelligence, experience, or education...your a light to us lesser mortals. My father always told me.."Son, it is not what you say...it is how you say it."

Can you make your points to us in a less abrasive manner? Mentoring is a fine art of the true gentleman. Is there really a need, within your psyche, to "lord it" over others? For example your recent comments to "Tellie" who is obviously trying to share his pearls on water makers and Sailor Chick that went on ad nauseum?

Flame suit on and zipped up.

There is a difference between defending your point of view, even adamantly, without making it a personal attack on someone's reputation or intelligence. Just sayin'
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 23:21   #127
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Allan just listen to the song tattoos and scars by Montgomery Gentry it explains so much
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 00:14   #128

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Here is what I use dry camping:

Navy Shower - 1.5 to 2.5 gallons
Quick Shower - 3 to 6 gallons
Long Shower - 6 to10 gallons
Dishes - .5 to 1.5 gallon/day
Toilet - 2 gallons/day
Drinking is separate as I drink a variety of beverages.

A female uses at least 3X more shower water.

When I am at my house I let the water run and probably use 25 - 30 gallon in the shower.

If I end up sailing alone I can see me using much less fresh water. But alone is only fun for so long.

Wow! I'm aghast at these water usage figures. navy shower average 2 gallons? House shower - 25 to 30 gallons??

We're not water nazis although we are aware of how much we use. At our house, we (a couple) use almost exactly the same amount of water each year, 25,000 liters or roughly 6,-7,000 gallons. Our houe is a 3000 sq ft townhouse with 2 full baths, 2 bedrooms and big living rooms etc. We have and use all the modern conveniences.

This is for everything - showers, washing the floors, washing clothes, dishwasher you name. So 5-600 gallons per month or 20 gallons per day-. We both shower every morning.

ON the boat, we have 300 liters of water and when coastal cruising we fill the tanks about 1 time per week (yes we also shower every day) - and yes my wife also shaves her legs etc.

I know americans use many many times more water than europeans - but you'll need to reeducate yourselves about water usage when you go cruising.

When you decide to buy a watermaker, you can spend an evening reading this thread, which discusses the various types of watermaker out there.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ose-93582.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 00:23   #129

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Boat-oriented females could shower 10 times with the water you waste on 1 land-side shower.

Yeah, but what about the LADIES?
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 00:38   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Wow! I'm aghast at these water usage figures. navy shower average 2 gallons? House shower - 25 to 30 gallons??

We're not water nazis although we are aware of how much we use. At our house, we (a couple) use almost exactly the same amount of water each year, 25,000 liters or roughly 6,-7,000 gallons. Our houe is a 3000 sq ft townhouse with 2 full baths, 2 bedrooms and big living rooms etc. We have and use all the modern conveniences.

This is for everything - showers, washing the floors, washing clothes, dishwasher you name. So 5-600 gallons per month or 20 gallons per day-. We both shower every morning.

ON the boat, we have 300 liters of water and when coastal cruising we fill the tanks about 1 time per week (yes we also shower every day) - and yes my wife also shaves her legs etc.

I know americans use many many times more water than europeans - but you'll need to reeducate yourselves about water usage when you go cruising.

When you decide to buy a watermaker, you can spend an evening reading this thread, which discusses the various types of watermaker out there.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ose-93582.html
I dont know how much time you go cruising? Taking a guess of 8 weeks a year that raised your actual usage to 700 gallons a month.

I do have to agree that USA water usage in general is a lot more than Europe.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 00:50   #131

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Humm...I guess the means that unlike some campgrounds that have electricity but no water hook-up that all marinas that have an electric hook-up also will have a water hook-up...correct?

Regardless of whether water is available at the dock, normally we don't make water in a marina due to typically poor quality of the seawater in marinas. Remember that not everyone uses their holding tanks even if they're supposed to. If your vision of cruising involves most of your time in marinas you probably don't need to worry about a watermaker.

On that note however, we're over 10 months since we've touched a dock!

Regards,
Mark
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 01:03   #132

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I dont know how much time you go cruising? Taking a guess of 8 weeks a year that raised your actual usage to 700 gallons a month.

I do have to agree that USA water usage in general is a lot more than Europe.
Sure Weavis - when we're on holiday we don't use water at home - but still even at 700 gallons per month (roughly 23 gallons per day) we're still far below the numbers quoted here.

25-30 gallons for a shower?????

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 19-10-2015, 01:17   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sure Weavis - when we're on holiday we don't use water at home - but still even at 700 gallons per month (roughly 23 gallons per day) we're still far below the numbers quoted here.

25-30 gallons for a shower?????
Oh.. er.... I had one guest empty my hot water tank in 45 minute showers in Florida......
Old 19-10-2015, 01:23   #134

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Oh.. er.... I had one guest empty my hot water tank in 45 minute showers in Florida......
I assume that was the first and only time that guest showered on your boat?

Old 19-10-2015, 01:27   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I assume that was the first and only time that guest showered on your boat?
LOL. It was on the Motor cruiser. I had the watermaker running to fill up again as I motored back to Charlotte Harbour and also had to go get another bottle of gas..
It was the wife of a colleague. I could tell he was getting antsy at the time she was taking but was not brave enough to remonstrate with her.

She even complained that the water went cold .

Tags
water