Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2017, 11:17   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Tow service and dry dock in Ft. Lauderdale

I think you can handle it yourself too, if your careful and have ground tackle handy.
I'd buy the insurance, wait period seems to be 24 hours, and if the little motor quit or you couldn't handle it, then I would call.
If your going to be sailing around Fl, in my opinion the towing insurance is almost a necessity, not so much that your going aground often, but that tows are so expensive without the insurence.

I spent a couple of weeks in Arnhem, I took your guys your fist Apache helicopters to look at and spent a couple of weeks with your Airforce guys there in 95, I think?
I came away very impressed with the Dutch
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 11:37   #17

Boat: Maquit, cruiser/racer, 39ft

Thank you all for great advices! Thank to you I've found a right marina and they already have contacted me - so swift! Now considering more options for towing or driving her myself. I guess, I will have to check slack tides to do it on the right timing.
I really hope I can manage all these tasks on time! Thanks a lot to everyone who replied me!!!
Warmest regards,
Chackey
Chacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 11:43   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think you can handle it yourself too, if your careful and have ground tackle handy.
I'd buy the insurance, wait period seems to be 24 hours, and if the little motor quit or you couldn't handle it, then I would call.
If your going to be sailing around Fl, in my opinion the towing insurance is almost a necessity, not so much that your going aground often, but that tows are so expensive without the insurence.

I spent a couple of weeks in Arnhem, I took your guys your fist Apache helicopters to look at and spent a couple of weeks with your Airforce guys there in 95, I think?
I came away very impressed with the Dutch
What a coincidence- I am from Arnhem! Living and working here. If not too much trouble, can you advice affordable and reliable insurance broker?
Old 15-03-2017, 12:15   #19
mcm

I would not be towing a vessel to Dania with a small dink, there is major deep sea vessel activity around there and you may end up being detained.
mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 12:48   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacko View Post
What a coincidence- I am from Arnhem! Living and working here. If not too much trouble, can you advice affordable and reliable insurance broker?
I don't think I am experienced enough to give you a good answer. However you of course know that your going to have to have liability insurance or the yard won't let you in.
I don't really know how to advise you there, perhaps others can.

I don't want to sound too much like a fool, but without looking at the papers at the boat, I'm not certain who I am with. I am not at the boat
Old 15-03-2017, 13:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm View Post
I would not be towing a vessel to Dania with a small dink, there is major deep sea vessel activity around there and you may end up being detained.
You are definitively right, I just looked at the map - it's quite a way to Dania. With a small dinghy, I'll get nowhere Thanks!
Old 15-03-2017, 13:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't think I am experienced enough to give you a good answer. However you of course know that your going to have to have liability insurance or the yard won't let you in.
I don't really know how to advise you there, perhaps others can.

I don't want to sound too much like a fool, but without looking at the papers at the boat, I'm not certain who I am with. I am not at the boat
Thanks for your advice again! You've already hepled me so much... I didn't know I need insurance for dry dock. I will shop around myself then.. I wonder if I can get liability insurance just for few weeks or few months... or yearly is a must?
Old 15-03-2017, 14:45   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I believe liability only is quite inexpensive and if you ever want to visit Marina's you will have to have it. I even had to show a copy of my Insurance for the mooring field in Key West, in other words buy it a year at a time, cause you will need to have it even after you leave, as long as you stay in the US.
Law does not require it though.
Old 15-03-2017, 22:36   #24
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Don't try to tow a big boat with a dink anywhere in Fort Lauderdale. Strong currents, heavy traffic and occasionally strong winds.
If you scratch a Mega Yacht, run into a bridge or get ran over by the Jungle Queen, you are done for and won't be sailing for a very long time.
I have seen the towing insurance deals in the past where the insured knew the boat is not running, then waiting out the waiting period.
Boat US and Sea Tow is very aware of it.
Cough up the $425 or whatever it cost to tow your boat to the yard, it will be peanuts compared to the rest of the refit project.
Fort Lauderdale is not a cheap town for anything, consider taking the boat somewhere else to complete the job, hotels, yards, marinas, etc are pricey around here.
Old 16-03-2017, 08:19   #25

Boat: Catalina 470

Greetings, Chackey!

I keep my boat literally around the corner from yours, right on the New River. While others have recommended Playboy Marina, can I also suggest Lauderdale Marine Center (U.S. Largest Shipyard | Miami & Fort Lauderdale Yacht Repair), which is *much* closer, less than a mile and only 1 bridge. LMC's prices for haulout are similar to Playboy, and you can do all your own work, with the only exception being scraping and welding due to environmental and safety concerns. Playboy also requires that you purchase any bottom paint from them, as far as I know LMC does not have that restriction.

I'll PM you my contact info, so feel free to reach out to me when you get to Fort Lauderdale - I'll do whatever I can to help, including helping you move the boat. I have a dinghy with a 10hp motor, so between us we could probably move her, especially a short distance with only a single bridge to worry about, and at slack tide. If you decide to go with Playboy I'll still help, but would recommend a professional tow boat.

Regardless of all of that, let's go drink beer, or whatever your favorite beverage is...

Regards,
David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 08:23   #26

Boat: Catalina 470

Regarding your question about insurance, get in touch with Scott Stamper at Atlass Insurance in Fort Lauderdale, Atlass Insurance Group | Asset Protection | Yacht & Boat Insurance. Scott got me a great policy at a good price. Right after I got my boat it got hit by lighting, and the claim process was far less painful than I ever imagined.

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 08:34   #27

If you end up with a little more flexibility and some propulsion, and IF it looks like you're going to be working on things for a while . . . . I would take a look at Indiantown Marina. They're about 25 miles north of Fort Lauderdale and then 15 miles inland (on the St. Lucie canal).

Indiantown has a great setup for liveaboard and do it yourself boatyard. We personally know one couple who has been there doing a major major refit - going on two years now. Excellent lift operators, plenty of room in the yard, no-stress laid back area. GREAT facilities for living aboard (showers, community kitchen, screened in eating area, etc.)

VERY low cost compared to Fort Lauderdale, and still relatively close to suppliers.

If it's short term, Playboy is great (we've used them before too), but if longer, it will seem pretty expensive.

~markb
bratzcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 08:37   #28

Boat: KP 46

I live in Ft Lauderdale, my boat draws 7 feet and I use Playboy for haulouts. My humble opinion is if you pick a calm morning, leave early, strap the dingy alongside at the stern quarer you should be able to tow to Playboy without a problem.

You can ignore the red buoy #30 just south of 17th st bridge, (a number of people think they have to pass east of it..) stay to the west as there is plenty of room. Dania cut is wide with plenty of room if there happens to be any ship traffic. Once you make the turn up the canal for Playboy it narrows up but again should not be a problem. Talk to them and you can usually lay just east of the haul-out slip, it is well protected and usually room to turn. The folks at Playboy are nice. one you get there find Dario with Absolute Boat Care (one of the contractors in the yard) he can help you find most things and is very reasonable if you need anything done.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 08:49   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What is wrong with the engine installed in the boat?
I ask because if you can get it going, then your options really open up. I have to think that Ft Lauderdale has to be an expensive place to do a re-fit at, however I have no experience with that, just a belief that there are much less expensive places to go.
Old 16-03-2017, 09:04   #30

Boat: Boatless

Who remembers the days of Crackerboy? That was a do it yourself paradise! Sailor man is moving or gone, any updates on that one?

I was at Playboy (unfortunate name) a few weeks ago. It's a good haul if spending a lot of time going to and from suppliers which you will be doing.

Car rentals in FL are cheap, might want to consider.

Going to be interesting to follow your progress ;-)
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, service