Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 20:16   #1

Boat: Maquit, cruiser/racer, 39ft
Tow service and dry dock in Ft. Lauderdale

Hi to all fellows sailors!
My name is Chackey and I'm from the Netherlands.

3 years ago I bought my “dream boat” – it’s rather a project, lots of work still needs to be done. She was build in 1963 and was intended for the Bermuda race.
She is really a very beautiful and fast boat - 39 ft sloop made by Maquit.

But due to personal circumstances delayed this big dream of my life - to have a cruising lifestyle and maybe end up in DR in the future.
But I finally did it - got my stuff together, now shipping to Ft. Lauderdale a nice dinghy with engine, new engine for my boat “Jezebel”, generator, power tools, etc. I’ve already booked my flight and will arrive to Miami on April 5th this year, of course.
My boat is at the moment located in Ft. Lauderdale at a private dock nearby 1131-6 SW 9 ave. (that’s where I’ve bought it and visited her only once since)

So, I am still new to the area and don’t know anybody in Ft. Lauderdale to whom I can turn for an advice and maybe even help.
I am looking now for an affordable dry dock in Ft Lauderdale – place where I can Do-It-Myself I am quite experienced myself in every kind of boat works/fixing – mechanical, electrical, etc. and would be glad to offer my best service to anyone who needs - in gratitude for your help and advice.
I intend to tow her with my dinghy to the nearest Marina by myself. (Maybe one of you can give me a hand with that?) or maybe advice me about affordable boat tow service in Ft.Lauderdale.

Basically I am looking for a cheap marina with a dry dock in Ft Lauderdale – DIY.
Any one knows of a better place maybe? I would really appreciate your advice. Due to all recent huge expenses and travel costs, my budget is getting kind of low.

Above marinas don’t offer “live-aboard”, so I would like to ask if any of you - who lives in Ft. Lauderdale can offer me a short-term stay (maybe a week) at you place, whatever it is – your boat, house, or just putting my tent in your backyard - for moderate price or in exchange for my services.

I have plenty of sailing experience – for several years in the past I was a Captain of my own charter business on my previous sail boat “Loveda” near Barcelona in Spain. My hobby besides sailing - is rebuilding/restoration of antique cars and houses’ renovation (it was my business actually)

I would greatly appreciate any advice and/or help from any of you.

Kindest regards,
Chackey
Chacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 20:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Tow service and dry dock in Ft. Lauderdale

I haven't lived in Ft Lauderdale for several years but unless there are new options, the last DIY boatyard I know of it Playboy Marine in Dania. Dania is just next to Ft Lauderdale on the south side of the town near the airport. I believe they still allow live aboard your boat while hauled out and working so no need for a hotel. It is a good distance from there to stores, restaurants and marine supplies so a car or bicycle would be necessary.

Unless you have a large dinghy and engine I think towing could be risky. You would have to carefully time to go only on slack tide as the currents can be several knots in places. Much safer to tow with a larger boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 07:23   #3

Thanks you so much for your advice. I’ve just checked Playboy marina – it looks like exactly what I was looking for! I will contact them immediately. You’re right about towing… unfortunately, I have a small inflatable dinghy, so still looking for tow service.
Thanks a lot again
Cheers!
Chackey
Old 15-03-2017, 08:22   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Chackey,

Glad to help. Hope it works out for you.

Regarding tow, it can be quite expensive but with a little work and shopping perhaps the cost can be managed. First it helps a lot if you are not in an urgent situation, that is broken down somewhere and needing a tow immediately back to a dock. It sounds like you could shop around for a towing deal and possibly get someone to do it for less on a day when they are not busy and could use the extra work.

Another option is to sign up with one of the towing insurance companies. The two big ones are TowboatUS and Seatow. You pay an annual fee and get free or reduced towing costs. However, you must wait a certain time after signing up before you can get your first free tow.
Old 15-03-2017, 09:00   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It is likely not real legit, but I'd join Sea Tow and wait out the wait period.
Or try to find a good Samaritan, paying Sea-Tow un-insured is horrendously expensive. I'm not sure I even like the idea of professional towing services, used to be we all helped each other unless it was real difficult, then the USCG pitched in, but no more, now its big business

Why won't she move under her own power now, is it likely you can fix that in a few days?
If you can get the Diesel going, you may want to relocate for an extensive refit, I think there are much less expensive places than Ft Lauderdale to do a refit, But I don't know enough to advise exactly where.

Your Dutch, you will do fine with a bike, Americans by comparisons are very lazy compared to the Dutch, we feel like anything over 100 meters requires an automobile.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 10:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Another option is to sign up with one of the towing insurance companies. The two big ones are TowboatUS and Seatow. You pay an annual fee and get free or reduced towing costs. However, you must wait a certain time after signing up before you can get your first free tow.
Thanks a lot for your advice. That's what I am trying to do now - either TowboatUS, Seatow or Fastresponsemarine.
How long you think could be "wait a certain time" period - 2-3 weeks? I need to arrange the towing for April 6th.
Old 15-03-2017, 10:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
the last DIY boatyard I know of it Playboy Marine in Dania. Dania is just next to Ft Lauderdale on the south side of the town near the airport. I believe they still allow live aboard your boat while hauled out and working so no need for a hotel. It is a good distance from there to stores, restaurants and marine supplies so a car or bicycle would be necessary.

Unless you have a large dinghy and engine I think towing could be risky. You would have to carefully time to go only on slack tide as the currents can be several knots in places. Much safer to tow with a larger boat.
Thank you so much for your advice. I’ve just checked Playboy marina – it looks like exactly what I was looking for! I will contact them immediately. You’re right about towing… unfortunately, I have a small inflatable dinghy, so still looking for tow service.
Thanks a lot again!
Cheers!
Chackey
Old 15-03-2017, 10:32   #8

Can you fit an outboard on the boat? Might be cheaper to buy one on craigslist and use it to get to a cheaper marina and then sell it.
tdominic_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 10:35   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Rather than me tell you what I think, this is a link to Sea Tow membership agreement, I have not read through it, but am real sure it does not cover being disabled prior to becoming a member. I guess you would have to say it was running when I purchased the towing insurance. I do not know how to advise on that, it is of course not playing by the rules, and I'd guess fraud. You need the membership anyway in my opinion, I hav eonly used ot once in my life, but without it, towing is incredibly expensive. It's a little dishonest in my opinion.
https://www.seatow.com/membership/membership-agreement

Found it.

Pre-existing Problems: Member represents and warrants that each of the covered vessel(s) has been and will be in working order upon application and reasonably maintained during his/her membership term. Therefore, pre-existing problems are not covered by the membership.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 10:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It is likely not real legit, but I'd join Sea Tow and wait out the wait period.

Why won't she move under her own power now, is it likely you can fix that in a few days?
If you can get the Diesel going, you may want to relocate for an extensive refit, I think there are much less expensive places than Ft Lauderdale to do a refit, But I don't know enough to advise exactly where.

Your Dutch, you will do fine with a bike, Americans by comparisons are very lazy compared to the Dutch, we feel like anything over 100 meters requires an automobile.
That's maybe what I should do - put on my new long shaft motor on the aft and motor her.. it just a few miles... Thanks a lot for such a simple suggestion!
Yaaa, we have to work hard to keep warm in North Europe, he-he... Not lazy or hazy, just crazy!
Old 15-03-2017, 10:51   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hey. If it's only 100 meters I might ride a bicycle that far. Now if you're talking 1 Km that might be too much for an American.
Old 15-03-2017, 10:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdominic_97 View Post
Can you fit an outboard on the boat? Might be cheaper to buy one on craigslist and use it to get to a cheaper marina and then sell it.
Yes, I am shipping now a brand-new YAMAHA long shaft motor, in a container with a bunch of other boat stuff... I was thinking about it before... Thanks a lot!
Old 15-03-2017, 10:58   #13

Boat: Formosa 41

If your mast would fit under the 17th street bridge I would tow it with the dinghy. If it doesn't fit I would tow it at slack current.

Are there any other bridges on the way to Playboy to worry about, either north or south of 17th St.

I'd still do it. I'd do a side toe and have an anchor ready to drop off the sail boat
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 11:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
If your mast would fit under the 17th street bridge I would tow it with the dinghy. If it doesn't fit I would tow it at slack current.

Are there any other bridges on the way to Playboy to worry about, either north or south of 17th St.

I'd still do it. I'd do a side toe and have an anchor ready to drop off the sail boat
Yes, I am pretty sure my mast will fit under the 17th street bridge, I think I have to pass it on my way to Dania Beach, right? I will probably use my long shaft motor or with a dinghy - whatever works best. Thank you very much!
Old 15-03-2017, 11:14   #15

Quote:
Rather than me tell you what I think, this is a link to Sea Tow membership agreement, I have not read through it, but am real sure it does not cover being disabled prior to becoming a member. I guess you would have to say it was running when I purchased the towing insurance. I do not know how to advise on that, it is of course not playing by the rules, and I'd guess fraud. You need the membership anyway in my opinion, I hav eonly used ot once in my life, but without it, towing is incredibly expensive. It's a little dishonest in my opinion.
Thanks very much! It was so helpful. I am still considering getting a membership, but I am afraid - the timing is against me... So, maybe I can still handle it by myself - with an outboard long shaft motor that I have already or with a dinghy...

Tags
dock, service