Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2017, 12:04   #46

Boat: Maquit, cruiser/racer, 39ft
Re: Tow service and dry dock in Ft. Lauderdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Don't try to tow a big boat with a dink anywhere in Fort Lauderdale. Strong currents, heavy traffic and occasionally strong winds.
If you scratch a Mega Yacht, run into a bridge or get ran over by the Jungle Queen, you are done for and won't be sailing for a very long time.
I have seen the towing insurance deals in the past where the insured knew the boat is not running, then waiting out the waiting period.
Boat US and Sea Tow is very aware of it.
Cough up the $425 or whatever it cost to tow your boat to the yard, it will be peanuts compared to the rest of the refit project.
Fort Lauderdale is not a cheap town for anything, consider taking the boat somewhere else to complete the job, hotels, yards, marinas, etc are pricey around here.
Thanks a lot for your advice! I am still think to use an outboard instead... So, $425 is a min. price for towing, I understand? Do they charge per mile, also per feet? What if I get a membership? How soon after I get it I can use their towing service? Thanks anyway...
Chacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 13:04   #47

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I looked up where I got insurance too, it's below. I wonder if that is the same Atlass?
It appears to be the same group. I've been pleased so far.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 13:35   #48

Quote:
On the motor, maybe take the foot off and try to ship it as parts? Cause I think they are right, your not importing a motor that does not meet EPA regs I don't think, I know many are brought in on personal boats, but shippers have to toe the line, if the don't they pay big fines.
I had a heck of a time getting a video camera sent to my house in Germany, first it was import tax issues, then the lithium battery. I think they learned I was US Soldier going to Bosnia and just looked the other way or I would have lost that camera.
I was a Dutch military police officer serving in Germany in my youth but they are not aware of it, I guess.. LOL!
But I think it's a brilliant idea you gave me - to take apart and ship it by parts! LOL If everything else doesn't work... Thanks!
Old 16-03-2017, 13:48   #49

Yes, Ft L not the best place for long yard work or DIY. Generally Ft L is a great place for Megayachts. But Dania is your best possibility. Do everything you can on the boat in your slip first. Ft L is fairly busy with big ships and the wind blows thru the general entry area at times too.
I agree with "Don't try to tow a big boat with a dink anywhere in Fort Lauderdale. Strong currents, heavy traffic and occasionally strong winds."
Towing can be very expensive. I ran out of fuel once with towing insurance (didn't get the Gold Coverage!) and it was to be $600 for about 1/2 mile to a fuel pump.
I HIGHLY recommend you get your boat operating before moving it at all. What's wrong with your engine? Could you buy an outboard bracket for the stern and use your dingy outboard? This will cost less than towing, probably even if you buy a good used 10HP outboard. The bracket is handy for storing the dingy OB anyway.
There are many live aboard places in the Los Olas area behind houses and apartments. You will have to drive or dingy around to find them. BTW, rental cars are cheap in florida. Maybe $150 or less a week. I wish you luck.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 14:02   #50

Checking your address.... it appears you are a ways up the New River. There are (were?) some funky little marine places up there. Drive around or google map and see what you might find nearby rather than going down to Port Everglades and Dania etc.
BTW, most marinas don't want inoperable boats in the marina, and likely wont let you in.
I think it most important you focus on getting your vessel operable as a motor boat. Then you have options. Until then you are going to spend money fast and have limited choices.

Old 16-03-2017, 14:18   #51

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
It is likely not real legit, but I'd join Sea Tow and wait out the wait period.
Or try to find a good Samaritan, paying Sea-Tow un-insured is horrendously expensive. I'm not sure I even like the idea of professional towing services, used to be we all helped each other unless it was real difficult, then the USCG pitched in, but no more, now its big business

Why won't she move under her own power now, is it likely you can fix that in a few days?
If you can get the Diesel going, you may want to relocate for an extensive refit, I think there are much less expensive places than Ft Lauderdale to do a refit, But I don't know enough to advise exactly where.

Your Dutch, you will do fine with a bike, Americans by comparisons are very lazy compared to the Dutch, we feel like anything over 100 meters requires an automobile.
I got towed in off sandy hook,nj after just having boatus towing for about 3 days or so, signed up online.. good thing i did.. best 140. i ever spent..asked operator what it would've cost and he looked at his watch and said "about 1200." home run
Old 16-03-2017, 14:26   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Checking your address.... it appears you are a ways up the New River. There are (were?) some funky little marine places up there. Drive around or google map and see what you might find nearby rather than going down to Port Everglades and Dania etc.
BTW, most marinas don't want inoperable boats in the marina, and likely wont let you in.
I think it most important you focus on getting your vessel operable as a motor boat. Then you have options. Until then you are going to spend money fast and have limited choices.
Thanks a lot, Cheechako, for your info and warning.. That's what I'll try to do.
Old 16-03-2017, 14:32   #53

Quote:
Could you buy an outboard bracket for the stern and use your dingy outboard? This will cost less than towing, probably even if you buy a good used 10HP outboard. The bracket is handy for storing the dingy OB anyway.
There are many live aboard places in the Los Olas area behind houses and apartments. You will have to drive or dingy around to find them. BTW, rental cars are cheap in florida. Maybe $150 or less a week. I wish you luck.
I have a nice 25 hp long shaft outboard YAMAHA, AND TRYING TO SHIP IT NOW... Shipping company is giving me hard time though...Thanks a lot!
Old 16-03-2017, 15:01   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacko View Post
I have a nice 25 hp long shaft outboard YAMAHA, AND TRYING TO SHIP IT NOW... Shipping company is giving me hard time though...Thanks a lot!
Would it make sense to sell it there, save the shipping and buy one here?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 15:32   #55

Quote:
Yeah, selling might be a good idea, too big for many dingy's anyway. Not sure if you can import that... if 2 stroke....? is it old or newer?

Old 16-03-2017, 17:43   #56

Quote:
Above marinas don’t offer “live-aboard”, so I would like to ask if any of you - who lives in Ft. Lauderdale can offer me a short-term stay (maybe a week) at you place, whatever it is – your boat, house, or just putting my tent in your backyard - for moderate price or in exchange for my services.
Hey, Chacko!
How have you been??? Well, I’ve found you on this forum! It’s been long time since I’ve seen you… what? 3 years?
I am glad you’re finally doing it! I wish I could help but I am too busy in Toronto now.. 
BTW, I’ve stayed once in a crew house in Ft.Lauderdale and it was great! And very affordable. You can find a place as low as $30 per night. And if you stay long enough, you might even find a job, especially taking in consideration all your unique and extensive skills!  Check these links: (I will also send you later in a private message one more address)
Yacht Crew Houses in Fort Lauderdale | Work On A Yacht
Smart Move Accommodations | Crew Housing Fort Lauderdale
Yacht Crew Housing | Crewfinders

Have you heard from Steve Bruno, btw? I wonder if he’s around when you come to Ft. Lauderdale… He would definitely help you! I am trying to find his email and a phone number…
Anyways, I wish you all of success and good luck! It’s great that you’re getting so many good advices here! Most of sailors are great people – a special “breed” I’d say,
I hope I can go sailing soon too… I miss it too much!
Talk to you later!
Tania
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 22:57   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Would it make sense to sell it there, save the shipping and buy one here?
If nothing else works... But I am shipping a small container anyways... I will know on Monday. Thanks!
Old 16-03-2017, 23:00   #58

Quote:
Yeah, selling might be a good idea, too big for many dingy's anyway. Not sure if you can import that... if 2 stroke....? is it old or newer?
It's good enough to start going, and it's pretty new.. I have a 3 hp for the dinghy
Old 17-03-2017, 10:01   #59

Quote:
Above marinas don’t offer “live-aboard”, so I would like to ask if any of you - who lives in Ft. Lauderdale can offer me a short-term stay (maybe a week) at you place, whatever it is – your boat, house, or just putting my tent in your backyard - for moderate price or in exchange for my services.
Hi, Chacko! I tried to post here yesterday but it didn’t work for some reason.. If you will read this,please add me to your friends’ circle here.
Anyways, I have some useful info for you – in case you’ll need affordable accommodations.
Crew houses are not too expensive. You can find a place as low as $30 per night. And if you stay long enough, you might even find a job, considering your seamanship abilities, engineering pro, and all other unique skills.
Yacht Crew Houses in Fort Lauderdale | Work On A Yacht
Smart Move Accommodations | Crew Housing Fort Lauderdale
Yacht Crew Housing | Crewfinders

I also saw a place for $21 EURO per night at Dania Beach, with good references and still available…
PM me if interested.

I wish you success!
I hope I’ll sailing soon too! I miss it so much!
Be well,
Tania
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 08:40   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Anyways, I have some useful info for you – in case you’ll need affordable accommodations.
Thanks a lot, Tania!
But I still hope to find a live-aboard, at least for the start, either in the boat yard (that I doubt) or maybe on private berth around Las Olas blvd. It will save me traveling time and money. I remember you had a friend staying there... Maybe he knows of someone renting a slip for 39" boat for next month?
I still intend to haul her out on dry dock, but first, have to get her moving...
Thanks again for useful links!

Tags
dock, service