Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2009, 08:48   #16

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
John,
I have to respectfully disagree. For someone who understands sailing, yes, if the race is over by the first or second leg, then it is boring. The general public though likes speed. Watching monohulls go to weather at 9 knots is dull, dull, dull...for the uninitiated. Watching ultralight cats scream around a race course is going to be much more fun for the general public. Its the difference between going down to Malibu Speedway and watching kids drive glorified go-karts versus watching a Formula One race.

I agree with your point that the match racing should be eliminated. How much more fun would it be to see all the competitors on the start line at the same time? How much more fun would it be to see four boats all headed for the same mark at roughly the same time? I realize that match racing is tradition for the America's Cup, but then so were wood hulls. Match racing is dull for the uninitiated observer, and I hope they figure this out.

I think its important for the Americas Cup to start attracting a much broader based audience than people who already know how to sail. In my experience, those are the only people who watch the Cup...and that's not exactly a very large audience. Also, a little more blue collar would help to reduce sailings image by some as that of being something done by wealthy snobs.
If the A cup boats sail like the Extreme 40s like in the link below, I agree with you, but I think the A cup boats are going to look completely calm and in complete control sailing along at 20 or more knots. Speed is good, but speed barely in control is what sells IMO.

John

cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 08:56   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have to agree, watching Extreme 40's sailing on the edge would be far more entertaining and attract a much larger audience. Perhaps the organizers of the AC just don't care how many people watch? If that's the case then that's fine, its their race between billionaires and they can do whatever they want with it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 13:42   #18

Guys I think that for once the AC will be thrilling these Cats (plural as BMW/Oracle is apparently building one as we speak) or even a tri versus a cat will be an amazing sight. Even if they are not perfectly matched it has opened up the top racing tier (from a public perception the AC is the top of the class) to cats and that is a great accomplishment on it's own.

These are not high wind Cats so we will see the location being a relatively calm location (ie amazing speed and tight control) but lets face it every (or most sailors will be glued to the TV for at least the daily summery)

Peter
peter.bomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 14:51   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I love the way Hilfiger accelerated after it's tumble. Allighini is one huge hobie with a air drouge on it........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 15:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I think a multihull AC will have a tremendous impact on the value of new cats.

In day racing mode at F1 level, those babes are going to have catastrophic failures and flip.

The poor guy who has just convinced his missus on buying into a multi-hulled floating apartment is going to have to do some serious damage control or he will be left still mowing the lawn……sincerely TNC…..
Just like what happend in 1988?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 21:39   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Just like what happend in 1988?

Nah!...Conor's cat had no competition with the big boat... this time around, they will be pushing them to the extreme.

Personally I am going to love watching it and hope the future of AC racing is with whatever is the fastest....... but for a newbie family looking to buy a cat.... it won't be very comforting when they go over.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote