Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 06:50   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
How To Run Halyard Inside Mast

So, file this under "Scarlet is an idiot"...

I had Halloween party on Saturday, and since it was a pirate themed party, I had the bright idea to run a pirate flag up the mast. I tied it on to the spinacker halyard... well, half way up the mast, the grommet that it was attached to, ripped out of the flag... the flag fell, and left the halyard dangling half way up my mast. So, since it was already late, I decided to just leave it, and when I got a chance, I'd get hoisted up the mast to retrieve it.

Well... we have a gale in Delaware today.. (the wind actually blew the water out of the marina and during low tide, over 1/2 the marina was nothing more than mud). needless to say, the wind has literally pulled the halyard up into the mast....

How the HECK do I run the halyard through the mast?!

(I have a Lagoon 450 catamaran)...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:19   #2

Boat: Farr 43`
Re: How To Run Halyard Inside Mast

I think you are right.
One solution would be to pay a rigger.
Another would be to sell the boat.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:38   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

i assume the tail of the halyard has been pulled into the mast. Most likely someone will have to go up the mast to feed the halyard back into the mast so that you can use a hook (e.g., a coat hanger) to hook the tail of the halyard and pull it out of the mast. Sometimes a small weight on the end of the halyard is necessary to allow the halyard to fee down through what ever wire and rope clutter there is inside the mast. Next time put a stop knot on the end of the halyard.

Good luck,
John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:51   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

Small weight or nuts on the end of a fishing line feed into the top of mast, fish it out of the exit slot with a hooked dental pick or one of those claw crabber tools. Finding it and getting it out the exit is usually most time consuming part.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Flex...2&gclsrc=3p.ds
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:52   #5

Boat: Oyster 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
i assume the tail of the halyard has been pulled into the mast. Most likely someone will have to go up the mast to feed the halyard back into the mast so that you can use a hook (e.g., a coat hanger) to hook the tail of the halyard and pull it out of the mast. Sometimes a small weight on the end of the halyard is necessary to allow the halyard to fee down through what ever wire and rope clutter there is inside the mast. Next time put a stop knot on the end of the halyard.

Good luck,
John
Yep....I use a short section of clean bike chain and a extendable magnet. The bike chain goes on the end of a messenger line passed over the masthead sheave. The extendable magnet picks up the chain at the bottom. As long as there is a semi clear path thru the spar it's not that hard. Ditto on the stopper knot or a spiffy halyard stopper.
Or hire a rigger...but again it's not that hard.
Good luck,
Ray
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:24   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuru View Post
Yep....I use a short section of clean bike chain and a extendable magnet. The bike chain goes on the end of a messenger line passed over the masthead sheave. The extendable magnet picks up the chain at the bottom. As long as there is a semi clear path thru the spar it's not that hard. Ditto on the stopper knot or a spiffy halyard stopper.
Or hire a rigger...but again it's not that hard.
Good luck,
Ray
Second that. I also have used a section of bicycle chain as a weight.
It is both heavy and flexible.
At the bottom I have fished it out by a wire hook made out of coat hanger.
But of course you neef to go up the 20m or so to the spinnaker exit on top😁
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:46   #7

Boat: Camano 41

I used a marlin spike. You can hear it when it hits bottom.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:47   #8

Boat: Island Packet 27

There are some really inexpensive scopes that can make the last step much easier: https://www.amazon.com/Inspection-Fa...PND/ref=sr_1_5
brucebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:57   #9

Boat: Moody 29
Send a message via Skype™ to Pillroller

Beware of using too small a line, they can jam over the sides of the mast-head pulley wheels.
My best method to fish out the weighted end at the bottom, is to feed a metal measuring tape into the mast through the appropriate exit hole. Feed it in doubled up, until it has spread out to the sides of the mast, drop the weighted mouse line until reaches the bottom or is seen to have passed the hole, pull out the tape with the line trapped inside it!!! Job Done.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:28   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillroller View Post
Beware of using too small a line, they can jam over the sides of the mast-head pulley wheels.
My best method to fish out the weighted end at the bottom, is to feed a metal measuring tape into the mast through the appropriate exit hole. Feed it in doubled up, until it has spread out to the sides of the mast, drop the weighted mouse line until reaches the bottom or is seen to have passed the hole, pull out the tape with the line trapped inside it!!! Job Done.

Good trick. I like it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:31   #11

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

The tricky part is to make sure the mousing line doesn't take a turn around anything else that's inside the mast. A fairly heavy weight helps. If it is still a problem though, try weighing down the side of the boat that the halyard needs to run down on (eg. Use the water from your port tank only) or use a magnet as the weight and draw it down the mast with a piece of (not stainless) steel or iron.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:46   #12

The most often problem, as DefinitelyME suggests, is that the feeder line might tangle around other internal halyards or electric cables or bolts at the spreaders.
The main halyard on a boat I bought a few years ago was really difficult to pull the last few feet when raising the mainsail.
I took the mast down, took off the mast truck at the top (bolted on) and could see there was a wrap around the spinnaker halyard that got tighter and increased friction as the mainsail reached the top.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:55   #13

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

I stupidly lost a Ghoster halyard , it was internal. Using the weighted mouse system , it was easy to re-rig. What I missed was the curvature in the mast . The new halyard was straight up and down, taking it's own path and probably chaffed other lines. A while later the damage became apparent and I re-rigged the halyard externally. Real ugly ,especially with the mast curvature ! Barring mast removal I have not thought of anyway to re-rig the halyard correctly. Any ideas , please? Curvature is about 3 feet in 100ft.
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:30   #14

Boat: Islander 36

I tie my spin and spare halyards into continuous loops to never suffer that problem again. Very workable and great peace of mind.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:22   #15

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

I suggest you first tighten the other halyards inside the mast so that the weighted messenger line does not wrap around one or more. After the halyard is rigged tighten the rerun halyard and make sure none of the others is binding up.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard, mast