Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2018, 13:48   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Gun Laws for Canada

Your gun came with two barrels didn’t it? One shorter than the other. One hunting, the other defense / slug barrel I believe. Both are legal.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 13:55   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Easy, easy, easy! I just got off the phone with the Canadian Border Agency senior officer. All I need to do is complete the phone check-in service in Nova Scotia our first port of entry, the border agent will come onboard to inspect the shotgun, then we’ll fill out the declaration form including our stated reason for the import and pay a small fee. The gun cannot be altered having a shortened barrel.

It couldn’t be any easier for us non-residents heading north. No special license required for non-residents.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Ken
Ken - be sure that you get the rule in writing and/or have the forms with you. just recently crossing the boarder with verbal (with my hand written notes from the "senior officer"phone call ) the spare parts and other boat parts had to be manifested and priced prior to getting inspected- including the PLB units- Besides my confusion,the officers attitude referred that the time taken to correct this issue was potentially suggesting impound of the spares. Discussions with others makes me wary this happens if the "forms" are not filled out. \

enjoy the cruising- south shore Newfoundland is beautiful this time of year.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 14:03   #33

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Was this coming into Canada, where you had to have your spares manifested and priced?

Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 14:48   #34

I'll second Deblens description. A bit of wood dowel in the magazine for a pump action is all that's needed. 3 shell capacity. If clip type drill and pin it for 3 max. 5 shell magazine for rifles, again pin it at 5 if larger. Larger clips aren't illegal if pinned for 5 but it can get grey. No banana clips... Trigger lock smart, ammunition stored separately I'm not sure about, but if possible why not. Lastly, if taking a long gun into any provincial/ national park check park regs carefully. In some places only a local guide may carry a weapon. You may have to declare any bear spray. We consider any air rifle with over 495fps a restricted weapon too.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 14:59   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicsailboat View Post
The facts are that guns kill, Please leave it home, we have enough crazies already.

Sigh! There's always one, isn't there. Let me repeat the OP:

"To the anti-gun zealots, please spare us and everyone the lectures; it's a waste of your time."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 15:53   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by svquintana View Post
Was this coming into Canada, where you had to have your spares manifested and priced?

Paul.
yes-
evidently I was supposed to use an import form

B29B ? Temporary Admission Permit

for the details.

I realize the gun may have a few extra questions- I was not taking one this trip.
In the past, particularity when north of Newfoundland (civilization) I have always carried a twenty gauge/22long rifle and had no questions. But that was a while ago.

For the anti-gun comments- I have had two 1200 pound cows try to get on deck- and they were not friendly for cocktails and they move surprisingly fast. I have had polar bears close by- I want noise/deterrent/and the last resort of a hollow point in the brain. Pepper spray just does not give me confidence.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 16:06   #37

Boat: GibSea 472

Quote:
I’m also a US citizen.
Except that when in Canada you become e facto a Canadian. I'm surprise that Americans can have 2 concurrent nationalities.
The other thing, is that the law of max 3 shells apply only while hunting migratory birds.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 16:28   #38
cruiser

Mike,

Where are you at present? If things go well this summer, we may even spend another season in the North Country. Labrador, Greenland etc. I do miss warm, but we might as well see it while we’re here.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 16:39   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
Except that when in Canada you become e facto a Canadian. I'm surprise that Americans can have 2 concurrent nationalities.
The other thing, is that the law of max 3 shells apply only while hunting migratory birds.
Yep, dual citizenship which does come in handy regarding Schengen in the Med. Regarding a Canadian visitation, the border senior officer stated that I’m still considered a non-resident Canadian citizen, so the non-resident rules apply. I can come and go as I please, but as far as importing items such as a gun... I’m a non-resident.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 17:34   #40

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Where are you at present? If things go well this summer, we may even spend another season in the North Country. Labrador, Greenland etc. I do miss warm, but we might as well see it while we’re here.
Currently hanging out in the Corner Brook, NL area. Will be here through this season, and possibly the next. No big plans this season … just exploring the western side of the island. Would be a hoot to actually connect.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 17:36   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gun Laws for Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
I'm surprise that Americans can have 2 concurrent nationalities.

They can’t it’s illegal in most instances. There are a very few circumstances that allow it.
https://www.legallanguage.com/legal-...united-states/
If you ever took the oath of citizenship to become an American citizen, then you can not legally have dual citizenship, cause you swore in that oath to give up your other citizenship. I guess you could become a citizen of another country after being s naturalized US citizen and be technically legal.
My Son for example was born in Germany, has a German birth certificate, yet is not and cannot be a citizen of Germany because neither of his parents were.
Old 29-06-2018, 18:12   #42

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
What on earth is a large capacity license?
There is no such thing. Regardless, all he has is a Mossberg which misfires more often than it works so it's pretty harmless. Except maybe to the user..
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 18:28   #43

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
They can’t it’s illegal in most instances. There are a very few circumstances that allow it.
https://www.legallanguage.com/legal-...united-states/
If you ever took the oath of citizenship to become an American citizen, then you can not legally have dual citizenship, cause you swore in that oath to give up your other citizenship. I guess you could become a citizen of another country after being s naturalized US citizen and be technically legal.
My Son for example was born in Germany, has a German birth certificate, yet is not and cannot be a citizen of Germany because neither of his parents were.
The US does permit dual citizenship. Even the link you cite says
Quote:
Dual citizenship had previously been banned in the United States, but in 1967 the US Supreme Court struck down most laws forbidding dual citizenship.
The State Department website also supports dual citizenship
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tionality.html
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 18:40   #44

Boat: Formosa 41

The large capacity license is a Massachusetts thing that refers to the number of rounds you can carry in a magazine. The USA license Ken says he has almost certainly says Massachusetts on it. To my knowledge there are no USA or federal gun licenses but I could be wrong.

ETA: I guess there is the FFL or Federal Firearms Licence that dealers must have to buy and sell guns in quantity. Maybe Ken is referring to that.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 19:13   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gun Laws for Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The US does permit dual citizenship. Even the link you cite says

The State Department website also supports dual citizenship

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tionality.html

I know it does, however most don’t meet the requirements, do they?
I have a friend that has two passports, a US one and an Ecuadorian one. He doesn’t meet the requirements either as he was a naturalized US citizen and took the oath where he swore to renounce any other citizenship, but he has two passports, just not legally, and if push came to shove, he could lose his US citizenship over it, just he is small potatoes and not worth the effort of the State Dept. and he is betting on not getting caught or being worth the effort.

Tags
Canada