Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2018, 08:26   #61
cruiser

Re: Gun Laws for Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Your gun came with two barrels didn’t it? One shorter than the other. One hunting, the other defense / slug barrel I believe. Both are legal.
Only one barrel with the Mossberg mariner 500 rust-resistant finish. Originally, it came with just a pistol grip which I didn’t like, so I added the additional features. We have a Remington 870 set up the same way which is a gun I prefer, having used it for many years hunting, but it doesn’t have the protective finish.

We won’t be doing any hunting, the shotgun is just for defense when we’re at the northern most remote locations in Labrador if we get that far. I may decide to bring an AK action Vepr 308 instead, but the shotgun might be easier at the border, or maybe not?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D4A4C38E-E7A3-424B-AA69-2FEF174805F2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	172757   Click image for larger version

Name:	8DBD852C-5D25-4710-8ADC-F33C5C1E0EC8.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	172758  

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 08:47   #62

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

The nice thing about shotguns is by changing type of ammo it can be used for many different applications. Small shot for birds, medium shot for varmints, large for large game & slugs for close up oversized problems.
The military even has explosive slugs or basically miniature RPGs.
In the old muzzle loader days one could put anything down the barrel that did the job even rock salt or bean bags. Much like the picture..

It always reminds me of the potato cannons we made as kids.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2097.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	172759  
Old 30-06-2018, 09:20   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Gun Laws for Canada

A 308 AKA 7.62 NATO has no where near the stopping power as a 12GA slug.
If you Plan on carrying a 308 for bear, make sure its a chocolate one, cause he may make you eat it

However in a better rifle a 308 can be a marvelously accurate round.
I’m a snob, AK’s are junk, pure and simple. Yes they are effective, but so is a rock.

In any kind of hunting / sporting venue, any form of military rifle and or ammo is easily outclassed by a real sporting firearm.
I own a few military firearms, an M1 carbine that was used in the battle of the bulge and most likely North Africa. A 1903A3 Springfield. My Son has a Mosin- Nagant and a Swiss K31.
We own them for their historical significance. I wouldn’t own an AK or AR rifle myself, there are just much, much better sporting firearms available. They just don’t look Hollywood Cool I guess.
My favorite type of shooting is long range single shot for accuracy. You shoot about once a minute to let the barrel stabilize and not over heat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 09:47   #64

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ken and I disagree on just about everything, but we can still get along. I look forward to raising a pint or two. And I’ll even let him use my compositing head ;-).
HA-HA-HA!! Love it! I hope you guys can pull off a rendez-vous, and cheers to you both.

Hey Ken -- I looked into your question a few years ago for a planned but not yet realized mx trip to the NW Territories en route to Alaska. The advice you've gotten here about the rules & regs is consistent with what I remember, and with the experience of several friends who made the trip. Only thing not yet mentioned is the strict 18.5" barrel length requirement which your Mossy 500 Mariner has (I own the same shotgun). This is what the Canadian authorities will want to confirm in person when you enter the country.

Fwiw, I'd opt for the Mossy with Brenneke's (or equivalent) over the AK. For starters, Canada doesn't allow you to bring in semi-auto's I believe, and .308 may not get the job done in your strictly defensive application. If it was me, I'd opt for the shottie or something in .45-70 using hard cast rounds.

All the best with the new boat and the trip, and hope you let us follow along on CF if you have a chance.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 09:50   #65
cruiser

Quote:
A 308 AKA 7.62 NATO has no where near the stopping power as a 12GA slug.
If you Plan on carrying a 308 for bear, make sure its a chocolate one, cause he may make you eat it

However in a better rifle a 308 can be a marvelously accurate round.
I’m a snob, AK’s are junk, pure and simple. Yes they are effective, but so is a rock.

In any kind of hunting / sporting venue, any form of military rifle and or ammo is easily outclassed by a real sporting firearm.
I own a few military firearms, an M1 carbine that was used in the battle of the bulge and most likely North Africa. A 1903A3 Springfield. My Son has a Mosin- Nagant and a Swiss K31.
We own them for their historical significance. I wouldn’t own an AK or AR rifle myself, there are just much, much better sporting firearms available. They just don’t look Hollywood Cool I guess.
My favorite type of shooting is long range single shot for accuracy. You shoot about once a minute to let the barrel stabilize and not over heat.
The AK semi auto 308 can fire off 5 rounds faster than I can reload a single round on the shotgun; and with 100% reliabilty. My AR15 M4 is junk... agreed.

Old 30-06-2018, 09:59   #66

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Your gun came with two barrels didn’t it? One shorter than the other. One hunting, the other defense / slug barrel I believe. Both are legal.
I believe 18" is the minimum in the States. Standard with the 500 seems to be 22". It would be difficult to go much less than 18" since the forward end connects to the end of the ammo tube.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 10:00   #67

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The AK semi auto 308 can fire off 5 rounds faster than I can reload a single round on the shotgun; and with 100% reliabilty.
Ken,

I'll never forget the wisdom imparted by one of my firearm instructors many years ago:

Quote:
You can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight...

Cheers! Bill
Old 30-06-2018, 10:01   #68
cruiser

The Canadian senior border officer already approved the Mossberg 500, so that’s what I’ll most likely bring.
Old 30-06-2018, 10:10   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Gun Laws for Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I believe 18" is the minimum in the States. Standard with the 500 seems to be 22". It would be difficult to go much less than 18" since the forward end connects to the end of the ammo tube.

I think my short slug barrel is 20”, on memory it is flush with the tube or very close. I remember that screw, so you would gain nothing by going shorter. Mine is old and the blued model, it came with I think a pistol grip and a wooden stock and a long barrel.
Pistol grip looks neat I guess, but you’ll shoot a 3” slug or buckshot once with it, and then dispose of it

It’s this gun
https://www.mossberg.com/product/500...ecurity-54169/

It’s 18.5 apparently. It’s really not a bad gun at all, just doesn’t have the fit and polish of a fine gun, but it’s not priced like one either.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 10:25   #70

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I think my short slug barrel is 20”, on memory it is flush with the tube or very close. I remember that screw, so you would gain nothing by going shorter. Mine is old and the blued model, it came with I think a pistol grip and a wooden stock and a long barrel.
Pistol grip looks neat I guess, but you’ll shoot a 3” slug or buckshot once with it, and then dispose of it

It’s this gun
https://www.mossberg.com/product/500...ecurity-54169/

It’s 18.5 apparently. It’s really not a bad gun at all, just doesn’t have the fit and polish of a fine gun, but it’s not priced like one either.
Mines in a case in the closet, I think. Someone would need a hell of an arm to shoot one with a pistol grip
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 11:18   #71

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Just a note about barrel lengths. Canada does not have a minimum barrel length of 18 inches. The required length is a TOTAL gun length of 26 inches. The barrel can be as short as the manufacturer found suitable to make. They must have been manufactured with that barrel length, you can't cut them yourselves!

Dominion arms makes some, and I think remington used to make some. Anyway, they're fun little guns, and great for self defense, if a little shy on firepower. Single and double barrel. So 13 inch and 8.5 inch barrel lengths.

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/d...otgun-12-gauge

Or how about this one.
https://www.canadaammo.com/product/d...agfed-shotgun/

Kenomac likes pistol grip and stock, here's one with a 14" barrel.

http://www.bullseyelondon.com/canuck...ht-bronze.html

And the Remington. https://www.remington.com/other-prod...del-870-tac-14

The only time I've ever seen anything sold in Canada that gives US shooters "gun envy" are these little shorties. Backpackers, hikers, coach guns...

These guns are "non restricted", which means that anybody with a PAL can buy one. The perfect "prepper's" gun.

Oh yeah. Semi auto is fine to have here. No full auto, period.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 11:34   #72

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Never had a misfire so far. Maybe it’s the cheap ammo you’re using.
Famous words -"so far". Those things are the definition of cheap and unreliable.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 11:50   #73

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

To reword my first sentence in my last post. There is technically a minimum barrel length for shotguns, but there are exceptions. As long as the total gun length is a minimum of 26", you're good.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 12:08   #74

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

A link to the "horses mouth" for those of you that would like to know Canada's ACTUAL current firearms laws,or have any questions about your specific situation. I believe it's even a free call 1-800 #.
Len

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/c.../index-eng.htm

Frequently Asked Questions - General - Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Old 30-06-2018, 13:36   #75

Shotguns are a reasonable bear deterrent in Canada...gets stuck in their teeth.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada