Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2016, 07:41   #46
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Getting Too Fat to Sail

lol extremes kill.
both sides of extremism.
all extremes kill. food, religion, politics...all extremes are avoidable and long life is possible. stop worrying and live long.
stop eating processed **** and eat decent foods.
that isnt extreme. that is healthy.
dont run until you are screaming in pain. that is extreme.
live.
walk ride a bike sail.. move your blood some. eat eggs and real butter and thrive.
avoid plastic wrapped foods. is easily done. most pllastic wrapped foods have been meddled with, so are inedible.
once i left usa and stopped eating plastic wrapped fda approved foodstuffs, i thrived. milagro. felt a lot better in a year out of usa than i have since 7 yrs of age, when i first had symptoms mom nor i could not explain.
btw--real food in mexico is cheaper by many dollars than plastic wrapped prepackaged stuffs. if meat doesnt look like meat, on the bone at butchers, is plastic wrapped in a mega store with injected water in processing. not flavorful, as is the grass fed free range meat the locals eat. yummm..just age it a tad longer in fridge and is awesome..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:29   #47

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

I say, everything in moderation, including moderation!
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:16   #48
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

but no salt or "buttery" oils, thanks.
Lots of medical research to show butter, fat, coconut oils are good for you, as is higher than recommended salt intake.

What clearly coming up bad is sugar and everything that converts to sugar when you eat it: corn, potatoes, rice, pasta, vegetable oils, etc.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 13:58   #49

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Lots of medical research to show butter, fat, coconut oils are good for you, as is higher than recommended salt intake.

What clearly coming up bad is sugar and everything that converts to sugar when you eat it: corn, potatoes, rice, pasta, vegetable oils, etc.
Yep. Once I developed allergies, I really simplified my diet. It went from spare to spartan. I go bonkers now and then but it only lasts for a day or two.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 14:10   #50

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Anybody who thinks healthy eating is expensive ought to compare it to the cost of medical treatment.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 14:38   #51
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

considering the batting average of "them" i will continue to continue on with sugars fats salts and whatnot as i have for looong time.
is not the sugar that is the problem but the chemicals used in the manufacture of beet sugars and white bleached sugars.
even my kid, who became insane with processed foods could eat cane straight.
trends are merely trends and will kill us in long run.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 14:59   #52

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

The quality of nutritional science is generally lousy. They have consistently asked the wrong questions, and started with unfounded assumptions.

I'm Completely Fed Up with Nutrition Science. You Should Be, Too. | RealClearScience

Their assumption that has proven most misleading? That people as essentially the same.

Research News: Metabolic Syndrome: Don't Blame the Belly Fat | Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI)

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...-may-be-bad-me

The simple truth is that there is no diet that is appropriate for everyone. Low carb, low fat, paleo, vegan, whatever. Each will work for some and not for others.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 15:02   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I think people are too different in their innate character and dietary habits to be able to suggest what might actually work when it comes to weight loss, but I'll toss in my last year's history as an example. I'm 6'3" and I've weighed between 195 and 200 pounds for 45 years. In January of 2015 I noticed that I was up to 208 and I decided to try changing my diet. I just cut some items, but continued to enjoy the volume of food that I desired. I quit beer, fried foods, salad dressing and limited bread, butter, sauces.....etc. We eat out often and I switched from fried to grilled entrees and vegetables instead of fries.

When I had my annual physical in November I weighed 185 Lbs and my doctor, skeptical of my success at a diet, sent me off for some X-rays and tests due to "unexplained weight loss". This made me a little anxious so I went back to my former diet and now I'm back to 195 lbs.

I think that I can decide what I want to weigh by what I eat. So, what's the difference among people? Do some not respond physically with changes in their diet? Are some not able to choose what they eat? I seem to require a volume of food to be satisfied, but not a certain quality. Do some people require a type of food and not just the "lump" in the stomach to be satisfied?

These may seem like silly questions, but my ease of weight control is not due to any special skill or discipline on my part. I know that I have a poor sense of smell. Maybe this is a factor as I've never been able to appreciate what people rave about when it comes to well prepared meals.

I guess that people are just different, 'no skill on my part!
Old 03-01-2016, 15:08   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
So, what's the difference among people? Do some not respond physically with changes in their diet? Are some not able to choose what they eat? I seem to require a volume of food to be satisfied, but not a certain quality. Do some people require a type of food and not just the "lump" in the stomach to be satisfied?

These may seem like silly questions, but my ease of weight control is not due to any special skill or discipline on my part. I know that I have a poor sense of smell. Maybe this is a factor as I've never been able to appreciate what people rave about when it comes to well prepared meals.

I guess that people are just different, 'no skill on my part!
People really are different, and science is just now realizing it:

Old 03-01-2016, 15:12   #55

Boat: Ohlson 29

I love reading the posts here, munching on a big 'death by chocolate' cake I bought for myself

My father once bought a boat from a guy who had literally eaten himself off that boat (11 meter motorboat) and needing a bigger one just to be able to get around. He didn't seem to mind too much himself

Living on 29' little feet I'm now thinking I probably shouldn't eat a whole chocolate cake by myself ...

But darn, I usually eat healthy, unprocessed food, cooked in coconut oil.
I run up and down the jetty for water, diesel and with bags of groceries. I don't have a car and my bike was stolen, so I walk everywhere.

So - hands off my chocolate cake - Ima eat it all and not feel too bad about it
Old 03-01-2016, 15:14   #56

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Simple math.

If you eat more calories than you burn you gain weight.

If you burn more calories than you eat you lose weight.

If I am keeping busy I lose fat. If not busy I gain fat.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 16:16   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Simple math.

If you eat more calories than you burn you gain weight.

If you burn more calories than you eat you lose weight.
It's anything but simple.

Debunking The Calorie Myth - Why “Calories in, Calories Out” is Wrong
Old 03-01-2016, 18:16   #58

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
considering the batting average of "them" i will continue to continue on with sugars fats salts and whatnot as i have for looong time.
is not the sugar that is the problem but the chemicals used in the manufacture of beet sugars and white bleached sugars.
even my kid, who became insane with processed foods could eat cane straight.
trends are merely trends and will kill us in long run.
I have read and heard that refined sugar is indeed a big problem., regardless of any chemicals that may or may not be used in processing.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/ma...17Sugar-t.html
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 19:48   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Either option sounds pretty miserable the way you put it. Not sure who said it but I prefer:

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
Hunter S Thompson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_S._Thompson
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:06   #60

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I love reading the posts here, munching on a big 'death by chocolate' cake I bought for myself

My father once bought a boat from a guy who had literally eaten himself off that boat (11 meter motorboat) and needing a bigger one just to be able to get around. He didn't seem to mind too much himself

Living on 29' little feet I'm now thinking I probably shouldn't eat a whole chocolate cake by myself ...

But darn, I usually eat healthy, unprocessed food, cooked in coconut oil.
I run up and down the jetty for water, diesel and with bags of groceries. I don't have a car and my bike was stolen, so I walk everywhere.

So - hands off my chocolate cake - Ima eat it all and not feel too bad about it
That's the secret. Live your own life by yer own rules. Still, I am astonished by all the fatties waddling around.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail