Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2013, 16:17   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Canadians 1st Offshore Trip Any advice or Tips? Leaving Eastern US Soon!

Not quite, -40 is the crossover point. It might not feel cold but when you get out on the water and the wind is hitting you and you have to hand steer the boat for 3 or 4 hrs at a time you will get cold. And you will wish like hell that you had installed that autopilot.

But chill out, relax and enjoy the trip.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 17:30   #17

Boat: CSY 44

As far as the batteries go I have 3 chargers on board all new and a brand new Cummins 4B engine with a 120amp high output alternator to keep everything topped up. The engine has 0 hours on it, just installed. In the engine room I have a Magnum 100 amp charger/inverter for all banks, a separate pro mariner charger for the engine batteries and a 3d pro mariner installed up in the bow for the dedicated windlass bank. I also installed a Magnum digital battery monitor system and a new ProLink battery monitor and maintenance system to keep batteries all at their best, a complete new 40 breaker Blue Sea panel and all new wiring etc throughout the boat and a job that was. I also converted everything in the boat to high intensity ultra efficient LED including all 3 deck flood lights.

As far as the autopilot, we were going to install a new Garmin as well but the Garmin rep asked us if we could hold off on the new autopilot and wind/transducer package as everything will be changed and all new better models will be out around xmas. So we figured we could hold off on that stuff until we reach Florida and before we head out from there.

Lastly to keep us out of the weather as best as possible we installed a new dodger, bimini and offshore rear bimini to keep us dry and warmer or at least out of the elements.
Atoriusverus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 17:54   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

As long as you're motoring in the icw your batteries will be charged up. And if it's your intention is to stay in a marina in FL you'll be fine. Once you start cruising you'll have to look into how to keep those batteries charged up.

If you intend to run the engine at anchor it will take forever to get the last 20% into those batteries, even with a high output alternator. And agm's need that final 20%.
Old 27-11-2013, 17:59   #19

Skip the celestial until you are in a nice warm anchorage with a clear view to the west. I love celestial, but trying to learn while you are on your first coastal cruise will be way too much stress. Adrenalin and / or fatigue do not make for a good learning environment. Just make sure you have paper charts and a handheld GPS. You have all kinds of electrical systems, but it doesnt take too much to have a dead engine and then you are only so many hours away from a VERY BASIC BOAT. Have a wonderful trip. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 18:55   #20

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I would add that if your only charging source it the main engine generator (no GenSet?) and maybe even if you have a gen set i would consider a stand alone battery powered (like AA with several spare batteries) back up GPS. Even if you lose your whole boat electrics you will still have your sails and a solid nav system.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 07:28   #21

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I’ve been a long time contributor to this forum, and a very much longer time sailor as well. I didn’t get involved in the ongoing sago of Transit Time? NY-FL but from the sound of it, you are a very different kettle of fish to Scoobert.
I have been refitting, and re-rigging my boat for three years, for an extended cruise starting early next year.
You have spent a lot of money on her as well, but I would have a few basic questions to which I can’t find answers in your post. these are not in order of precedence, and if i've missed anything forgive me. How many in the crew—not counting the zero experienced wife, who I am sure is as keen as yourself—but the sea won’t take any heed of that?
How do you handle your sails?
What is your ground tackle?
Fit an autopilot before you leave, because they are worth two crewmembers. If Garmin can’t supply one, buy another. You will be thankful for it—even for one nights usage.
Do you have an auxiliary generator? For extended cruising on a boat like yours and mine, I deem it essential.
What about a water-maker?
I’m presently on the Florida intercoastal with a 58’ main; at 63’ you are very very close to the bridges here. Look into this carefully.
Best wishes on your passage.
Old 28-11-2013, 07:46   #22

+1 on what Jolly Rodger said.
Old 28-11-2013, 12:19   #23

For the ICW it will just be my wife and I. After that we are not sure yet. For the offshore jaunts while traveling south to Florida again it will just be my wife and I.

Quote:
i would consider a stand alone battery powered (like AA with several spare batteries) back up GPS
I have 3 new backup Garmin GPS units on board (2 with bluechart marine charts)still in boxes both for on the boat or exploring on land.

Quote:
How do you handle your sails?
We have a 150 Genoa furler, a 2nd staysail also a furler and a 1000' main. All running into the cockpit. (ALL SAILS ARE NEW) All running rigging, halyards etc have been replaced and all lines are brand new.

Quote:
What is your ground tackle?
We have 3 anchors on board all 55lb anchors including a new Rocna, a Bruce and a CQR with a couple smaller ones in a rear deck locker just in case. We installed a new 2900lb electric windlass with deck controls up front, controls at the helm and a wireless remote key fob. I installed a single new 300' piece of BBB chain for the main and had a 2nd new rode made @ 250' of 3/4 and 50' of BBB chain in a secondary locker up front. Also had a custom dual line snubber made capable of around 50,000lbs. Lastly we have a 300' spool of 3/4" line for whatever on board.

Quote:
Do you have an auxiliary generator? For extended cruising on a boat like yours and mine, I deem it essential.
Yes I have a vented genset locker and a new Honda generator going in. I really wanted to install a new diesel genset in the engine room but not enough time and the prices are stupid. Still debating a wind generator or solar. I'm kinda leaning towards wind. Any thoughts?

Quote:
What about a water-maker?
It is on the list and we will decide what we are doing about this before we depart Florida. But we also have twin glass and lined fresh water tanks that hold 1500 liters of fresh water built into our hull.

Quote:
I’m presently on the Florida intercoastal with a 58’ main; at 63’ you are very very close to the bridges here. Look into this carefully.
Best wishes on your passage.
I orginally brought the boat up the ICW when we first purchased it when I undertook the 1st kamikaze trip and some bridges were very close, had to watch with binoculars and watch the tides carefully getting ready to hit hard reverse. Even had one take off our VHF antenna.

What do most of the down south cruisers do for extra fuel? I've heard some say carry at least 50 extra gallons of fuel on board in gerry cans. But that seems excessive to me. What about theft etc? Any thoughts again?

Thanks to everyone we really appreciate the comments and suggestions. Please keep them coming. We are excited but at the same time a little apprehensive about our first trip.

Thanks Again!
Old 28-11-2013, 15:39   #24

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Okay, that pretty much answers my queries, and it would appear you have it mostly covered, except, no mention of the autopilot….
You sound a lot like me 35 years ago, and I wish you all the very best of British luck. You will of course be okay, because in the final analysis the boat will probably see you though anything you didn’t think of—except a low bridge.
I hope we meet somewhere in the Bahamas, about February time.
Fair winds.
Old 28-11-2013, 16:41   #25

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

You sound quite well equipped except for battery charging. Go solar! I bought my present cruising boat 10 years ago and solar was about $800 a 120 watt panel so I opted for a Honda EU2000i for $850 and a windgen for about $1000. With solar so cheap now that's the way to go. You will not need it until you get to FL. but you will need it.

I have hummed and hawed re solar for the last few years mainly because I'm not in a spot long enough to get it done. Maybe this year.

Again before you get a wind generator go solar. Wind comes into play when fronts come through and it's overcast for a few days but solar is your best bet.
Old 28-11-2013, 17:25   #26

+1 on the solar. Everyone that I have talked to that has tried both wishes they had gone solar first.
Old 28-11-2013, 17:49   #27

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Paper charts, yes?
Old 28-11-2013, 19:18   #28

JR.......we should be there sometime in January.

Paper charts? Yes we have charts from last year that we never used. We also have all the current updated charts on both ipads and both laptops and are updated each day or week if internet allows.
Old 28-11-2013, 19:20   #29

Boat: Tartan 34C

With so much new gear on board, it means that much untested gear. Most of it will probably work perfectly, as designed and anticipated, but be prepared for some failures or recalibrations or adjustments along the way. ALWAYS have a Plan B that will work when nothing else does. Paper charts are required, IMO. Make a list of EVERY thru-hull (even prop shaft log and knotmeter and sounder, if applicable) - every hole in the hull that might leak. Know BEFORE you go outside what you would do if water started pouring in through any or all of them.

Be more smart than bold - the ocean can be an extremely inhospitable place. Take little bites and you'll be fine.
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 20:03   #30

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
+1 on the solar. Everyone that I have talked to that has tried both wishes they had gone solar first.
Another vote for solar. It only takes a few hours of reading to get the basics about mounting and controllers.

Also start getting comfortable with Chris Parker. Well worth the effort.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore