Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 16:12   #16

Re: Beginner question

Thanks....whatever size satisfies the earlier requirements is good with me. 20, 22 seems fine too. The one necessity is that theres lie out room at front without a skylight in the way. 2 being able to nap overnight in the cabin if needed is always good too.
howster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 16:53   #17

Something like this Catalina 20 would work. Maybe 2 or 6 ft longer. I like that the front deck is flat with no hatch blocking one from lying out. Would prefer to have a railing all around the front too tho. https://youtu.be/eDlluYqVWDs
Old 04-01-2018, 17:11   #18

This looks like it may work http://www.catalinayachts.com/wp-con...CC22Bro-05.pdf
Old 04-01-2018, 17:49   #19

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

If you want to go cheap and camp on the water, do it, but if you have the bucks, something like that Catalina 30 is the way to go. (I probably should have, but I'm hung up on ketches). Everything original, nothing mickey-mouse, etc. I don't think you would regret it. If you want to spend a few days on it, it will be like a summer home or a cabin at the lake. That Atomic 4 is like a tractor engine, practically indestructible. Just stay away from the Green Monsters. I really, really hate the "African Queen" MD11C in my bilge, but there's no way to get it out without destroying the cockpit and bridge deck.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 18:19   #20

Boat: Sabre 34

My first boat was a Catalina 27. I do not regret the decision. One in good shape will always be worth what you paid for it. I think 50K is way too much to spend on a first sailboat.
Alex_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:27   #21

Thanks for the insight. This forum is really great. I will factor all responses into the decision. I'm with you on the quality aspect and peace of mind of purchasing something in good shape. Will start with a modest budget and work up over time as I get more addicted to the hobby. Comforting to hear decisions weren't regretted with your own purchases. Again, thank you.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:33   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
If you want to go cheap and camp on the water, do it, but if you have the bucks, something like that Catalina 30 is the way to go. (I probably should have, but I'm hung up on ketches). Everything original, nothing mickey-mouse, etc. I don't think you would regret it. If you want to spend a few days on it, it will be like a summer home or a cabin at the lake. That Atomic 4 is like a tractor engine, practically indestructible. Just stay away from the Green Monsters. I really, really hate the "African Queen" MD11C in my bilge, but there's no way to get it out without destroying the cockpit and bridge deck.
From what I've just Googled, ketches look awesome. Nice hangup Sorry to hear the engine has been a nuisance. So the MD11C appears to be a big green Volvo engine. I'm surprised Its not more easily disassembled. Noted. Thanks for heads up
Old 05-01-2018, 06:24   #23

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
Carefully chop it in pieces and get it out?
Alex_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:07   #24

The Catalina 30 suggestions are spot on. You could find a repowered one easily for 20k and use the rest on a good variety of sails and some toys/accessories.

There's also a vast amount of info and support available on the Catalina 30 on line.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 18:53   #25

Catalina 30 tall rig is a great boat. Roomy. Has a wheel if you want a wheel. Sails great. I spent years on one.
Old 09-01-2018, 13:56   #26

Thanks guys. How much $ would you set aside for routine maintenance and storage every year for a Catalina 30 and do you buy a trailer or get transport services? Where is your preferred place to buy one ...any favorite adverising website or assoc?
Old 09-01-2018, 14:06   #27

Yachtworld.com
Old 09-01-2018, 16:17   #28

Let's take the Catalinas in Ma at http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/cache/searchResults.jsp?slim=quick&sm=3&luom=126&currenc yid=100&searchtype=searchbar&Ntk=boatsEN&Ntt=Catal ina+30+Ma

....which would you run from and which would be worth seeing. How old is too old and what primarily do you look out for?
Thanks.
Old 09-01-2018, 17:12   #29

....what are the buying rules of thumb so to speak
Old 09-01-2018, 17:49   #30

I would check out the 95 MKIII. Buy “Inspecting the Aging Sailboat” by Don Casey. The guy is brilliant. When you find a boat you are serious about I would suggest a good survey as well. My surveyor found things I never would have found. Looking at that boat reminds me of a great time in my life. No matter what boat you buy you are gonna dump money into it. Have fun doing it. It’s doesn’t hurt so bad that way.