Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 10:08   #46

Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Re: Beginner question

I'll add my vote for any model used Catalina as a starter boat. Almost all models have an International Association. There is the Mainsheet magazine specific to Catalina's and parts are readily available from a company called Catalina Direct.

I chose a Catalina 25 as a first boat. Big enough to spend weekends on and can be trailered with the right vehicle. Tender enough to tell you when you're doing something wrong and easy to see sail trim changes that make a difference.

Used ones run from around $1500.00 up to about $10,000.00. The 1989 model is considered the cream of the crop. A top notch 1989 C25 with a wing keel will run at the top of the price range and a good condition trailer will add a few thousand more.

The C25 Association forum, Association Forum is a wealth of information.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:38   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
I'll add my vote for any model used Catalina as a starter boat. Almost all models have an International Association. There is the Mainsheet magazine specific to Catalina's and parts are readily available from a company called Catalina Direct.

I chose a Catalina 25 as a first boat. Big enough to spend weekends on and can be trailered with the right vehicle. Tender enough to tell you when you're doing something wrong and easy to see sail trim changes that make a difference.

Used ones run from around $1500.00 up to about $10,000.00. The 1989 model is considered the cream of the crop. A top notch 1989 C25 with a wing keel will run at the top of the price range and a good condition trailer will add a few thousand more.

The C25 Association forum, Association Forum is a wealth of information.
That's great information. Must research all that too. Thank you very much.
howster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:46   #48

At about 27 ft and down you feel like you are "camping". Above you feel different. Just a thought. Get out and "feel" some boats for sale.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:49   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by howster View Post
Hi Skipmac,
That information is fantastic. Really, really helpful. I will definitely get that book and take all that advice onboard. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to inform me and share your experience. I sense sailing is a lifelong learning curve and worth it.
Have a great day!
Thanks. Sailing or in a broader sense what is usually referred to as seamanship is certainly a lifelong learning process. I can take any reasonably intelligent person and teach them the basics of sailing in a day. Sailing as in hoist the sails and trim them so you can more or less go in the direction you want.

Seamanship on the other hand includes navigation, planning, maintenance, weather, safety and all the other things related to going out on a boat and coming back in one piece. After 40 years boating I feel like I have barely scratched the surface.

In FL for most of the winter but will be on Martha's Vineyard most of the summer, hopefully on the water as much as possible. Let me know if you're in the area.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 13:15   #50

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats

One way to learn is to go check out marinas or sailing clubs that organize amateur regattas. Skippers are always looking for crews.
They often do not care about the lack of experience but rather care for your regular availability.
Thats how I started sailing about 13 years ago and I still race on other peoples boat.
I have sailed on so many different boats that I now know what I like, don't like, would like, and wish I had.
I have sailed boats from 22 feet to 47 feet mono and cats. But I have only owned a 24 footer keelboat and now a 30 footer C&C 30.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote