Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 16:50   #1

Boat: Mirage 35
Charter in the Seychelles - advice?

File this one under long term planning, but there's been some discussion in the family so I'm gathering information.

Any charter experience in the Seychelles available to share? Companies, good or bad, what to know and what to watch out for, destinations, etc. You know, all the usual stuff...

I've got a couple of links to potential charters and gov't information, but the inside scoop is always appreciated.
Old 11-01-2018, 22:56   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Charter in the Seychelles - advice?

Hi, I'm not chartering in the Seychelles but I've been living here on my own boat for the last 4 mths and are surrounded by charter vessels everyday.

Although they charter all year round I would only charter here in the SE season. Your anchorage options are much less in the NW season. The transition period later in the year is probably the best time although a lack of wind maybe an issue if you want sail, yet anchorages aren't far apart.

Dreamyacht charters are based on Praslin, IMO Praslin is the place to cruise, bays like Lazio are stunning. In saying that, Mahe is only 26nm from Praslin, so no big deal chartering through sunsail, half a day and your at Praslin or La Digue and it's a lovely sail if you have a good angle.

Mahe is by far the best place to purchase supplies, just a much greater range of foods, specially if you like our western nice stuff.

I don't really know but I don't think there's much difference between the companies, they all have nice modern new boats, I see issues with both but by far the biggest issues I see are skipper self inflicted. The Seychelle guys that work on and skipper these boats are very nice guys.

Overall, if you get good weather the Seychelles is a paradise, small beautiful and easy to sail around. Great fish life.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:56   #3

Btw, is it allowed to anchor at the private islands? (Felicite, Fregate, etc?)
Old 12-01-2018, 02:03   #4

At the top of Felicite is what they call cocos island (it's a rock) there's mooring bouys there. It's a marine park therefore they charge a fee. Once again this anchorage is only good in the SE.

I haven't anchored of Frigate but a mate has and said he had no problems.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:32   #5

Boat: Mirage 35

Thanks, great info.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:40   #6
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

I steamed from south India to Tanzania, stopping at the Maldives and Seychelles en route. I spent three days in the Seychelles and plan to get back someday. Easy going weather, easy going people, exceptionally beautiful above and below the water - scuba or snorkel.
Somewhat expensive because everything must be shipped in.

I don't know if I would travel all that way just to go to the Seychelles (it's a long way from the USA), so make it part of a visit to Madagascar, Kenya, Maldives, South Africa, etc..
Old 12-01-2018, 09:14   #7

+1 for visit during transition period (during monsoon reversal). We went in June/July (SE monsoon) and although weather was very nice and we got a lot of wind, we also got a lot of wave activity (sometimes too much), even in protected places, so snorkeling was not good at all because of poor visibility. We chartered a catamaran from DreamYacht Charters.
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:51   #8

July is when the Se is in full swing. Although the west and north sides of the islands create a lee, there is still a swell, the Seychelles aren't big. It can be an adventure getting to shore in the dinghy.

Tags
charter, Seychelles