Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 08:47   #1

Beginner question

Hi everyone,
Thinking of getting a starter boat and getting my toes wet. Will get lessons but would like some advice on a model of recreational sail boat I could get that's manageable for a newbie like me. I like the idea of having front deck space to chill out and lie out if needs be and take in the view, I also would need a decent sized cabin for 2 and my trusted dog! I'm enthusiastic to learn what I need to learn. I want a sail boat to keep fuel cost down plus I prefer the quietness aspect. I enjoy the serenity of sail boats and was wondering what model sailboat would be a good starter. Looking for used under $50k.
Thanks
howster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:52   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Beginner question

Lots of "starter" boats available for under 50K but you should do a bit of sailing first to really get a feel for what you'd like.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:06   #3

Boat: Little Harbor 58

Catalina 30 might be worth a look
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:19   #4

Thanks. Ive been out on small beginner sail boats and large racers with professionals. I just love the idea of going out to sea under sail, someplace quiet with friends and spend a few hours decked out bobbing on the water in comfort and serenity! That's blissful peace for me. Not looking for high tech. Simply recreational and reliable would suffice. It's been on my bucketlist for a while. if you have favored sailing books or online resources on the rules and how tos of sailing Id appreciate hearing.
Thanks
Old 04-01-2018, 09:21   #5

Boat: Catalina 387

Catalina 27. Under $5K in sailable condition. Outboards cheaper to maintain than inboards. Can give it away when you tire of it.

Catalina 30's a great boat too - I own one. Or the same type of boat from Columbia, Ericson, Oday, Cal, etc... (The typical 'production' boat)

None of these are bluewater boats - they're great coastal boats and finding out if you like sailing boats.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:24   #6

Great advice...look great

Thanks
Old 04-01-2018, 09:34   #7

Learning so much here. So can you put outboards on 27s and not 30s or is it dependent on the model. Easier to maintain the better for sure. How far out from the coast is reasonable to go on these boats? I like going out far enough to just not see land. That's enough for my nerve if I were captaining!
Thanks
Old 04-01-2018, 09:43   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Howster! The Catalinas are the go-to boat for beginners, but if you get an inboard remember the adage "you are buying the engine." If the engine turns out to need replacing or rebuilding it can get expensive. But with a budget of 50K you will easily find MANY good candidates. Along with the bigger boat I'd say to also get a small, fast boat, a Laser being my favorite, to learn the basics on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2018-01-04 at 9.42.11 AM.png
Views:	129
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	161555  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:47   #9

Googling...for sure the outboard would be best for me. Very cool
Old 04-01-2018, 09:51   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

The Cat 27 came in an outboard and inboard version. YOu can also add a mount for an outboard on the 27 or 30, but really, if you can find one with a good diesel in good shape, you will be much happier with that I think... and this is coming from someone who has an outboard and is ok with it for my boat and what I am doing.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 13:37   #11

Boat: Islander 32-2

Hey Howster:

Welcome, and enjoy the experience of the finding, and buying a boat "PROCESS"
You would do well to find an experienced friend that is knowledgeable, and can assist in the evaluation of the boats you're considering.
IF you don't have access to someone that can help, I would contact a local sailing or yacht club, and ask for a recommendation on a member to help you.
Where are you planning on sailing, that info could have an impact on the boats that are recommended for you, ie: learning on a small inland lake, versus the Atlantic Ocean!

best of luck in your search
MOCHA
mocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 14:29   #12

Thanks for response. I plan to just go down to Buzzards Bay band stay near to the coast. No high seas. Maybe go far enough out to not see land. The getaway aspect and serenity is what I'm after. I have sailor friends and mechanics I can lean on and I've a yacht club nearby that I'll join. The whole endeavor just seems enjoyable...even the maintenance part (to some extent). I'm sure I will meet some interesting folk.
Old 04-01-2018, 14:37   #13

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

Go small. You'll be glad you did. Everything from cost to maintenance to learning to handle sailboats is better that way.

If you're young, two people and a dog can do fine with a 25 footer, or even a 22 and a cuddy cabin. Stick with an outboard motor; relatively low repair or replacement cost. Sails and lines are smaller and less expensive, to say nothing of more easily managed by hand alone.

Sail it for a year or two until you're good at it. Sell it, which if you bought it right and worked it up to good condition you may be able to do without taking any depreciation. Get a bigger boat.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 15:03   #14

Thanks very much for the info. We are in our 40s and the boat would be to get us out in the water with our dog, have the opportunity to bring 2 or 3 more friends if needed for a day out and have enough deck space for at least 2 to lie out in front and enjoy the surroundings and tranquility. Its access to peace and quiet that I really want but I also like the air filling the sails and that whole in touch with nature experience. She wants to be able to sunbathe! The dog just wants to sniff and sleep! Haha
If you can recommend a 22 footer or so that I could accomplish that in I'd be very grateful as I don't know my boat models and types.
Again, thanks
Old 04-01-2018, 15:41   #15

Sounds like my wife and I almost ten years ago, after spending a week on a 30 foot Pearson. We got hooked and still are. I recommend a 20-26 foot sailboat with an outboard engine and on a trailer. We still have our 20 foot Balboa and it's nice to park it in our yard when we don't have time to use it. Plus, as someone mentioned, when you up-grade you're not going to lose a lot of money.
ras1544 is offline   Reply With Quote