Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 07:22   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Re: Running A/C At Anchor on Moorings 3900 in July

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordByron View Post
Thank goodness the majority of us don't think like this.
Must be nice to think about self as a majority...
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:01   #17

Courtesy is courtesy regardless of the venue. But putting a set of excepted behaviors upon others is not realistic. Reminds me of eleme.tary school in some regards.
Bohemian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:05   #18

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
I don't have a generator on my boat and just assume that every other boat in the anchorage does when I choose where to spend the night. Most modern charter boats with generators are nearly silent. There aren't that many portable gas generators, like the quiet Honda 2000. What I do look out for, and find far more annoying, are most wind generators! That's worthy of another thread. I think boats with the noisy ones should anchor on the downwind side of an anchorage.
Back to the OP. If you have come down to the islands to stimulate the economy with your hard earned money, feel free to run that generator and AC 24/7 if you'd like. It will be less disturbing than the people partying late or the shoreside land based music.
A cruising boat should be outfitted with solar panels and wind generator (most like my KISS are quiet enough). Boats that are cruising, not sitting in one place most of the time, do not need AC to sleep at night as even in the summer there should be enough of a breeze to sleep comfortably and when it is hot we seek out anchorages open to the wind. I think a small portable generator such as a Honda 2000 should only be run during the day for just long enough to recharge the batteries if the solar and wind can't keep up. Our Honda was used 2 times this past winter. A quiet inboard generator does not usually bother me unless they are right off my bow and I have all my hatches open.
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:52   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barboak View Post
A cruising boat should be outfitted with solar panels and wind generator (most like my KISS are quiet enough).
I think a cruising boat should be outfitted in the way which suit the needs of her owner best.
I also think that most wind generators are way more disturbing and unnerving than most diesel generators.

Quote:
Boats that are cruising, not sitting in one place most of the time, do not need AC to sleep at night as even in the summer there should be enough of a breeze to sleep comfortably and when it is hot we seek out anchorages open to the wind.
I can not see a difference regarding sleeping in a boat which is cruising against sleeping in the boat which is sitting in the same place for longer time. The temperature and humiditi is the same for both.

Quote:
I think a small portable generator such as a Honda 2000 should only be run during the day for just long enough to recharge the batteries if the solar and wind can't keep up. Our Honda was used 2 times this past winter.
I think a small portable generator are most noisy of all engine driven generators and are a real PITA day or night.

Quote:
A quiet inboard generator does not usually bother me unless they are right off my bow and I have all my hatches open.
Happily I found something to agree upon
Old 06-06-2014, 08:57   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I'll agree with the post that wind generators are the most annoying...

Your boat will be equipped with an almost silent generator. At worst, neighbors will hear a quiet "whoosh" from the exhaust - more than likely it will be nothing. Choose a mooring where you are downwind from everyone else, and you will be fine. By the end of the trip, you will figure out that no one cares - it's a charter.

I just hope yours isn't like our TMM charter in Belize - you could only run the A/C in the cabins, or in the salon, not both. Dumbest setup ever.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:58   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian17 View Post
Courtesy is courtesy regardless of the venue. But putting a set of excepted behaviors upon others is not realistic. Reminds me of eleme.tary school in some regards.
Then you are the arbiter of what is or is not "excepted" behavior? So if other boaters in an anchorage think it is discourteous for example to play loud music until 2 am and you don't, then this is elementary school behavior?

At the end of the day the meaning of courtesy means awareness and sensitivity to how your actions impact others. If you want, then you can call that putting their "set of excepted behaviors upon others" but without awareness of their feelings about your actions then the whole concept of courtesy is meaningless.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:03   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Must be nice to think about self as a majority...
Am happy to stand corrected about my original point if you can convince me otherwise.
LordByron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:13   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian17 View Post
But putting a set of excepted behaviors upon others is not realistic. Reminds me of eleme.tary school in some regards.
Personally I think it's just good manners to at least try and adhere to certain, if not most lines of etiquette that have been in many instances, around since the year dot.

But then again I also respect some countries and or cultures have their own ideals and perhaps adhering to "a set of excepted behaviours" would be asking too much, especially if elementary school was an issue.
LordByron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:20   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
But then again I also respect some countries and or cultures have their own ideals
I can tell you for example that "quiet hours" in Germany were very strict, and you didn't dare do anything during those hours that made noise, not even driving a nail in the wall to hang a picture, forget listening to the radio, anything that made a sound that could be heard.

But I gotta think the BVI's are not like this?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:32   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Am happy to stand corrected about my original point if you can convince me otherwise.
It is something like anchor and multi/mono disscussions

Everybody has slightly different opinion, so there is no real majority.
But many hope they are part of (some) majority
Old 06-06-2014, 12:01   #26

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Quote:
A cruising boat should be outfitted with solar panels and wind generator (most like my KISS are quiet enough). Boats that are cruising, not sitting in one place most of the time, do not need AC to sleep at night as even in the summer there should be enough of a breeze to sleep comfortably and when it is hot we seek out anchorages open to the wind. I think a small portable generator such as a Honda 2000 should only be run during the day for just long enough to recharge the batteries if the solar and wind can't keep up. Our Honda was used 2 times this past winter. A quiet inboard generator does not usually bother me unless they are right off my bow and I have all my hatches open.
Um just anchored up in the keys. today its 90 degrees humidity is hovering around 73% wind is blowing from the east at 3.5 kts. My sound enclosed genset is going to be on because the cabin temp is approaching 96 degrees. I think you may need to spend an August in Florida before making such a blanket statement. Just so you know where I'm coming from I spend most of my time living aboard and cruising the southeast.
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:08   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Not to mention how you might live on a boat certainly may differ from how most people spend a vacation on a boat. If someone desires quiet, there's plenty of off the beaten path locations they can go to, but the majority of the big anchorages in the BVI will have gensets going, music and people making noise. Often windy enough that you won't even notice though.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 13:35   #28

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I am a cruiser and I run my generator and water to air heat pump whenever I am not at the dock. Have done this since 2003 since we commissioned our H356. We like to keep our salon at 72 degrees hot or cold outside. Keeps our boat dry and comfortable inside and my wife happy. Also runs all our Wi-Fi, satellite tv and charges our batteries and IPhones and IPads. My 5KW Northern Lights is sound enclosed and has an underwater exhaust and it is barely noticeable ten feet from the boat. Some people think sailing should be roughing it, not us. We like it comfortable, but we don't go around bothering those around us.

I would imagine a charter boat generator in the BVI would be installed in a similar fashion. If you are in a tight anchorage, then get your dinghy and see how far the noise will travel and I will bet you won't hear it from very far away. As to diesel fumes, mine doesn't emit any smell or noticeable fumes. I don't like to raft up, but in a normal anchorage, you are plenty far away that sound from the generator shouldn't bother anyone. Enjoy your charter.

My generator generates about 65 decibels inside our bedroom which is right next to the generator compartment. Just make sure you have good carbon monoxide detectors for extra safety and ask at the charter office what the fuel burn per hour is on the generator and watch your fuel.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 14:07   #29
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
It is something like anchor and multi/mono disscussions

Everybody has slightly different opinion, so there is no real majority.
But many hope they are part of (some) majority
no, in this case I would say it like the slapping halyards threads
Old 08-06-2014, 15:27   #30

Boat: Islander Freport 41

After living on my boat full time in the tropics for eight years I found that once you get out of the marians and point into the wind out on the hook, AC is something that for the most part is not needed. I got rid of mine five or six years ago.
garyosborne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, mooring