Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 15:57   #16

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Florida Keys: Going #2 in a hole in the sand, legal?

Dry Tortugas

Catboat that made the trip behind the tri.

kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 16:09   #17

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

DOJ strikes again!
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 16:13   #18

Boat: Sceptre 41

I would use the 5 gallon bucket with some of those sanitation bags in there. You might want to ask the park department about camping in the Keys and how to dispose of human waste when backpacking.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 16:22   #19

Here is a link to some useful info: Everglades National Park Camping Page
Old 07-05-2012, 16:25   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perithead View Post
I know this is a bizarre question but I had to ask!

I am headed down to the Florida Keys on my Montgomery 17 on Thursday and I plan to spend about 3 weeks down there cruising around and exploring the deserted islands and such. I have a porta potti aboard but I want to try to use it as little as possible.

I wonder if it is legal or not to dig a hole in the ground and bury your "troubles"?

I am a backpacker and I know in state parks around the US it is legal to do so, I wonder if the same applies for the Keys? I would think so.....

Figured I would ask here before I call the Coast Guard and check.

Thanks for helping me with my "troubles"!
Do yourself, the environment and potentially some other cruisers and/or their children a favor and buy yourself some "Wag Bags" and "handle the problem appropriately. Everyone will appreciate it.

FWIW....
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 18:27   #21

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

BUCKET, BUCKET, Bucket with a bag! but need I say again BUCKET !! It's a legal head! just my 2 cents ( but I do like my bucket)
Old 07-05-2012, 18:48   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
If you are on the west coast in Everglades National Park there are back country toilets, a/k/a ports-potties on some of the keys and on the chickees. With the size of boat you are taking, I would suggest visiting the park. While cat holes may still be legal, a low tech plastic bag system might be easier.

Having spent a lot of time camping in that area, I feel obligated to remind you that it is spring time and towards the end of alligator and crocodile mating season. The warmer weather also inspires more bugs. So ask your self, would I rather use a five gallon bucket, or make it open season on your @@@ by squatting over a hole?

Oh yeah, I preferred the extra thick black garbage bags myself.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:18   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Dude! Where do you think you're going to backpack in the FL. Keys that doesn't have a Micky Ds every two miles?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:07   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
The no discharge zone applies to boats with a head. If your boat doesnt have a head, drop the "troubles" in a bucket and through overboard.
Nope. That's illegal, too. Now, if you "go" directly overboard, without putting it into a bucket first, then it's legal--as far as the marine discharge laws. You could still get arrested for public indecency, or something along those lines. And as was already mentioned, the Monroe County Sheriffs Dept. make a LOT of those kinds of arrests.

As for burying it on the "beach." Well, there are precious few beaches in the Keys. You're not going to find a lot of sand for burying anything, and most of the sand that you do find has been trucked in by some private party to create an artificial beach. You would, in essence, be burying your crap in someone's back yard. I don't think they're going to take too kindly to that.

The few natural beaches that exist are pretty popular, and pretty crowded. There isn't really all that much public land in the Keys. It's not like the whole island chain is one big state park or anything. Hence, the comparison to other state parks doesn't really hold up.

As others have said, get a porta-potty, get a bucket and some plastic bags, or figure out something. Planning to just go in a hole in the sand is a fine recipe for some serious constipation!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:24   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Dude! Where do you think you're going to backpack in the FL. Keys that doesn't have a Micky Ds every two miles?
Actually, there are only four McDonalds in all of the 100+ miles of the Keys. There are also five Burger Kings, mostly more or less across the street from the McDonalds.

Nonetheless, the point is well taken. The Keys are not some desolate, back country, national preserve. They are fully developed with houses, hotels, and businesses covering pretty much every useable inch. There are a few exceptions--small (by mainland standards) park areas on several of the islands, and of course the Dry Tortugas. Still, it's not like you're going to get far away from civilization down there like you can in, say, Rocky Mountain National Park.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:33   #26

I live in the keys and I would not reccomend it. For an assortment of reasons I would say you are asking for trouble. To go directly overboard is legal, but to go in a bucket then dump overboard is illegal. I am quite certain to dig a hole on land and dump into it would at the very least be frowned upon by the parks service.
SaltHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:42   #27

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Doe's a Bear Sheet in the woods said the blind man to his deaf son.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:53   #28
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Wag Bags...are definitely "the way to go"....Used them up im Maine with a 5 gal bucket and a made for seat.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:49   #29

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Actually, there are only four McDonalds in all of the 100+ miles of the Keys. There are also five Burger Kings, mostly more or less across the street from the McDonalds.

Nonetheless, the point is well taken. The Keys are not some desolate, back country, national preserve. They are fully developed with houses, hotels, and businesses covering pretty much every useable inch. There are a few exceptions--small (by mainland standards) park areas on several of the islands, and of course the Dry Tortugas. Still, it's not like you're going to get far away from civilization down there like you can in, say, Rocky Mountain National Park.
The last time I was on the Dry Tortugas the park rangers were VERY ann?l They had a restroom on Fort Jackson, and the potty police were out in force. I would imagine all of the parks on the keys were the same.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 14:00   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
The last time I was on the Dry Tortugas the park rangers were VERY ann?l They had a restroom on Fort Jackson, and the potty police were out in force. I would imagine all of the parks on the keys were the same.
Fort Jefferson on the Dry Tortugas now have composting toilets. When the Yankee Freedom (high speed cat) is there the composting toilets are locked and you use the restrooms on the Yankee Freedom. We found the park rangers very laid back and friendly.

Tags
florida