Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2020, 13:28   #91

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD
Re: Covid plan B for Canada staying closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlepera View Post
I did a long weekend on the water in the Bremerton Washington area. Barely scratch the surface I told the wife I would need a couple of months to explore Puget Sound properly
Yeah . . . but you need YEARS to explore BC's waters! ☺
Old 14-10-2020, 13:41   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark lennoc View Post
The Canadians say they have enjoyed not having Americans in their waters. Apparently, the anchorages don’t have all the large yachts with their generators running and a lot less outboards ripping around the bays and a whole lot less bad mannered boaters. It looks like we have a bad reputation and are going to pay for it. When they do finally open the border don’t expect to be welcomed back.
I'm not sure Americans have a monopoly on bad behaviour. We have our fair share of boors and ignoramuses too. I was almost run down by a local super yacht coming from my left ( and trying to pass me on my left) as we were entering Prideaux Haven last summer. I needed full astern to avoid both him and the rocks.

Maybe I'm prejudiced but rag hangers seem gererally better behaved than stink potters. (I'm sure THAT statement will get me in barrel of trouble ) ☺

But it was nicer with fewer boats around. Blind Channel was saying business was down about 40% and there was actually space at the dock at Shoal Bay (not that I used it as I prefer anchoring next door in quiet Bickley Bay) - and that is VERY unusual!
Old 14-10-2020, 13:54   #93

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
I'm not sure Americans have a monopoly on bad behaviour. We have our fair share of boors and ignoramuses too. I was almost run down by a local super yacht coming from my left ( and trying to pass me on my left) as we were entering Prideaux Haven last summer. I needed full astern to avoid both him and the rocks.

Maybe I'm prejudiced but rag hangers seem gererally better behaved than stink potters. (I'm sure THAT statement will get me in barrel of trouble ) ☺

But it was nicer with fewer boats around. Blind Channel was saying business was down about 40% and there was actually space at the dock at Shoal Bay (not that I used it as I prefer anchoring next door in quiet Bickley Bay) - and that is VERY unusual!

EVERY nationality has its share of saints and sinners. It’s silly to say that any one nationality is worse or better than others. Let’s not get into that kind of objectifying.

But you’re right, cruising without the mass of foreign boats is more pleasant here as well.
Old 19-10-2020, 09:41   #94

Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, Bill Blair, announced Monday the non-essential travel restrictions between the Canada-U.S. border will remain until at least Nov. 21.

“Our decisions will continue to be based on the best public health advice available to keep Canadians safe,” Blair’s tweet reads.
Old 19-10-2020, 09:45   #95

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, Bill Blair, announced Monday the non-essential travel restrictions between the Canada-U.S. border will remain until at least Nov. 21.

“Our decisions will continue to be based on the best public health advice available to keep Canadians safe,” Blair’s tweet reads.
Amazing, listening to the scientists...! [emoji6]
Old 19-10-2020, 09:58   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

I would bet this will continue month-to-month for another year plus.
Old 19-10-2020, 10:16   #97

Boat: Rafiki 37

What's missing is the criteria by which these decisions are being made. I'm fine with the border closure, but it's unclear to me what scientific benchmarks are being used.

Is it the overall infection number in the USA? Is it the number of people being infected by each new case (the R0 value). Is it the positivity rate of testing? Is it the lack of vaccine? Is it the proportion of the population demonstrating good pandemic practices (physical distancing, mask wearing, etc.) Or is it a change of leadership?

What's the criteria by which these month-to-month border decisions are being made?
Old 19-10-2020, 10:24   #98

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
What's missing is the criteria by which these decisions are being made. I'm fine with the border closure, but it's unclear to me what scientific benchmarks are being used.

Is it the overall infection number in the USA? Is it the number of people being infected by each new case (the R0 value). Is it the positivity rate of testing? Is it the lack of vaccine? Is it the proportion of the population demonstrating good pandemic practices (physical distancing, mask wearing, etc.) Or is it a change of leadership?

What's the criteria by which these month-to-month border decisions are being made?
Pontificating from absolutely no evidence... It's political will. I envision a scenario where the ministers are briefed, rebriefed and briefed again with an unreadable amount of statistics and binders of conclusions and scenarios and then they look at the internet, talk to their neighbour and shrug; then make a decision based on their sense of prevailing attitudes

Seriously though, with the US election coming up it was a no-brainer to keep the border closed until that is decided. And winter is coming so some of the pressure (tourist-wise) is off, with the concomitant potential rise in cases due to all the indoorness.
Old 19-10-2020, 10:38   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
And winter is coming so some of the pressure (tourist-wise) is off....
Hmm, not if you live in a ski resort such as Whistler....
Old 19-10-2020, 10:47   #100

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Pontificating from absolutely no evidence... It's political will. I envision a scenario where the ministers are briefed, rebriefed and briefed again with an unreadable amount of statistics and binders of conclusions and scenarios and then they look at the internet, talk to their neighbour and shrug; then make a decision based on their sense of prevailing attitudes
Sooo... just the same as how most political decisions get made .

Quote:
Seriously though, with the US election coming up it was a no-brainer to keep the border closed until that is decided
I suspect this is the real criteria being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Indeed. I have a house sit arranged for most of the winter with home owners traveling for exactly this reason. The resorts are embracing new procedures to avoid becoming new hot spots of disease spread. Sure hope it works (otherwise I'll be homeless once again ).
Old 19-10-2020, 10:59   #101

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
And winter is coming so some of the pressure (tourist-wise) is off, with the concomitant potential rise in cases due to all the indoorness.

Not sure about that. In NZ we’re just coming out of the lowest flu season ever, due to all the physical distancing, working from home, and sporadic mask wearing. Works to avoid Covid-19, and works to avoid colds and flus.
Old 19-10-2020, 11:11   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark lennoc View Post
The Canadians say they have enjoyed not having Americans in their waters. ...........................

Wow, NO thanks Mark, for duplicate posts that make no sense and are quite offensive, with no rationale or reason.

I am Canadian and miss my American friends. In 2017, just this particular week, I was enjoying a delightful Indian Summer Cruise with an American friend, each on our own boats, with weather wonderful and above 20C.

Perhaps you should go somewhere else.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 19-10-2020, 11:19   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post

Might be one of the few places tourism goes up. I know Banff, while a great ski town, only gets a fraction of the winter traffic compared to summer. Or I might be full of it... Still, you have to admit, winter bring its own special issues to this mess.
Old 19-10-2020, 11:23   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Not sure about that. In NZ we’re just coming out of the lowest flu season ever, due to all the physical distancing, working from home, and sporadic mask wearing. Works to avoid Covid-19, and works to avoid colds and flus.
Winter in NZ

Winter in Edmonton

But I get your point.
Old 19-10-2020, 11:28   #105

Sure that "Winter in Edmonton" isn't actually "spring, fall & winter in Calgary"...? [emoji6]

Tags
Canada