Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2008, 06:25   #136

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Herb sent me an email asking me to expand on my earlier comments about water incursion into the hull of a Privilege 39 I made an offer on and had surveyed.

The boat was a 1994 and in the engine room, there was core below the water line.

The story I got was that the boat was loaned to a missionary program and that these folks mounted some piece of equipment in the engine room by drilling into the hull and installing self tapping screws with no sealant. If this is in fact the case it is an invitation to disaster.

I haven't heard of water incursion being a frequent problem in Privileges. In my opinion they are a very well constructed boat.

Hope that answers any questions my earlier post may have caused.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 06:38   #137

Boat: searching
Ok then, from the waterline down depending on load of course. on to my next concern and the proverbial 64 dollar question.
I am expecting the solid lay up will minimize the blistering potential, any comments on that subject? This boat just had the bottom painted last month, the owners comments that there were only 5 blisters.

Would like to thank all for their comments, hopefully, I will start answering questions as well, once we get the boat. As long as the survey doesn't reveal anything major we are definitely doing some major Positive Thinking. (thats for you Dave, appreciate your websites!)

Herbster
Herbseesmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:42   #138

Boat: Privilege 39 MANGO
Tommorow morning I am going to haul MANGO at Cracker Boy Boatworks, Rivera Beach, FL.
This is the first time I am hauling the boat.
The major project is replacing four plastic through hull fitting with bolted bronze seacocks and rebeding and installing backing plates under two bronze units that are weeping.
I am wondering what the service interveal is for the shaft seals on the saildrives.
I have two sets ready to go in if there is any sign of water in the oil, but what if the oil is clean? How often do they need replacing? I have some ilustrated instructions on how to do it, but there is the " if it's not broke don't fix it " element.
I was shocked at the price of oil for the saildrives. $80 for six quarts.
If the old VP 2003s ever give up I think I will look into converting to shaft drive Kubotas.

BTW, I saw an ENO wall oven for $200 at a local salvage store last week.
I looks like new surplus.
I don't know if I should name the vendor here so send me a message if you want to contact them. They ship in the US.

Russ
Mango Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:55   #139
cruiser

Boat: St Francis 50 on order
Privilege Dedicated Forum

I have created a set of multihull owner forums including one for Privilege owners

Multihull owner forums

If anyone wishes they can use this as a dedicated Privilege forum with its own topics, threads, poll etc.

Anyway see what you think - I am not trying to push it but saw the problem and so today created the system that allows a dedicated forum for every single make of cat on the market. I will add any make that is requested.
Gludy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:47   #140

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Hi all i'm in the market for a boat and all i've is good about privilege cats and since this is an owners thread for them i figure its the best place to get answers. I found a 1989 privilege 39 for $129,000 I was wondering if you culd give me some pointers as to what to look for in a privilege it would be great if yall could give me some information. thanks
Old 02-07-2008, 13:57   #141

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango Cat View Post
I have a 1989 Privilege 39. I believe that the cored section extends below the waterline to just below the level of the cabin sole.
If you look in the bilge you can see where the core blends into the solid lay up. I will be finding out for sure next month when I replace the plastic thru hulls for the heads. I wonder if Privilege is still using plastic thru hull fittings and valves.
Anybody else worry about those or had one fail?
I am pleased with the boat overall. One thing to check on these boats is that the walls of the head tend to let shower water seep into the plywood walls. Water collects where the walls are glassed to the hull and the wood in between rots away.
Russ
"I wonder if Privilege is still using plastic thru hull fittings and valves."

No metal on my 435. Everything is Nomex cored including the furniture now with solid laminate where there are through-hulls

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:24   #142

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gludy View Post
I have created a set of multihull owner forums including one for Privilege owners

Multihull owner forums

If anyone wishes they can use this as a dedicated Privilege forum with its own topics, threads, poll etc.

Anyway see what you think - I am not trying to push it but saw the problem and so today created the system that allows a dedicated forum for every single make of cat on the market. I will add any make that is requested.
Hi Gludy!

Bit naughty this post! There are other places that also have dedicated forums for specific classes of cat. The whole point about this thread is that it also provides a dedicated forum for Privilege owners, and people seeking data on them!

How are your plans proceeding for conversion to stick and sail?
Old 03-07-2008, 03:57   #143
cruiser

Conversion

I read the start of the thread which sought a place to discuss this make of cats - it did not exist so I created the forum that allows you to open any tpoic of these cats and have a dedicated forum - that is very different to a single thread on a forum. I thought I was helping and cannot see how its 'naughty' - I do not even gain from it.

There is no doubt that I am going to buy a sailing cat and become a raggie - although I do not belong to the pure raggie type that wants a bucket of cold water thrown over them every hour and never, ever switch on the engines etc.

I see myself as more of a decadent raggie

I am now looking at 6 cats the Leopard 46, Privilege, Discovery 50, Broadblue 50, FP 48 and Lagoon 500.

Huge price differences between them - the Leopard comes out at about £370k on the water with all the bits but offers very few options and not much in the way of guarantees but does seem a good boat so I probably plan to charter one soon.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:53   #144

Hi all I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a boat by the name of DHARMA BUM III, if anyone has info on this boat it would be helpfull.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:36   #145

Quote:
I see myself as more of a decadent raggie
I am now looking at 6 cats the Leopard 46, Privilege, Discovery 50, Broadblue 50, FP 48 and Lagoon 500.
Whilst only having the benefit of a single hull (thus fundamentally flawed ) I would have thought the concept of the Nordhavn Motor sailer might have created some interest.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:48   #146
cruiser

Nordhavn or Cat

Not really..... they are still very heavy on fuel and they are a single hull.
They also are always limited to a slow speed - at least a sailing cat in some conditions can get respectable speeds, dry out and go a long way.

No ... its seems that I always had this in my genes but never knew it .... the raggie thing that is

With Uk fuel IMHO expected to be over $14 USA a gallon within 18 months its not just the cost of the fuel that is a significant cost - its the cost of the depreciation on MoBos - that is going to be very significant.

I have been on a steep raggie learning curve for 6 weeks now having purchased a long list of books and DVD's - all the DVD's are as usual with boating - just rubbish.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:53   #147

Quote:
Nordhavn or Cat.
My own investigations have also moved very much towards the privilege as the next boat, but model will depend on how much the divorce lawyers leave me
Old 03-07-2008, 08:37   #148
cruiser

Why

in the water price including all the cruising stuff, water makers etc etc price of a 47 foot Leopard is about $725k USA.

I think the Privilege 495 is way past that - so why are you moving towards that boat with such currency bargains around as the Leopard?

I ask because I myself cannot answer the question
Old 03-07-2008, 09:37   #149

A leoped 40 starting price is $329,000 and the starting price for a leopard 46 is $500,000 plus $282,000 for all the attachments and extra gear so it comes out to around $782,000 for the 46 and $611,000 for the 40.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:13   #150
cruiser

Nope

Little Otter - I am basing my prices on the latest price list plus experience from those who have ordered. However the exact figure is not the point anyway!!

Tags
privilege